Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AmandaD

My Vitamin Retest...

Hi...I'm such a dork about this I know...but I got my retest for my vitamin D levels - before I was at what the doc called a 23 - which is on the low side. The retest - now 6 months after my diagnosis - is now a 25. They said I'm now in the low normal range. Normal seems to be somewhere between 25 and 80!

Do you guys think that I'm absorbing better...or is that a pretty small amount to increase in the level?

I still haven't gotten my 2nd TTG numbers back.

I think I'm focusing too much on the numbers :D

Any advice you have on this appreciated - I still feel like I totally don't get all this stuff that goes along with Celiac...!!

Having gained that little isn't much of an improvement, it's still quite low. You might want to supplement with cod liver oil to up your vitamin D levels. The best brand (and this one doesn't even taste yucky, I know, I take it every day) is Carlsons cod liver oil.

Your body needs vitamin D to absorb calcium and magnesium. If your vitamin D is low, those are probably as well, setting you up for osteoporosis. So, don't take it lightly, do something about it.

Can you get outside in the sunshine every day for 20 minutes or so? That's probably the best way. Failing that try cod liver oil or vitamin D3.

Nancy, sunshine is the best way, if you can get it. The problem is, that unless you live somewhere close enough to the equator (California and Florida are good), that is only enough during the summer, and only during the hottest times of the day.

At this time of year, depending on where you live, for most people just sunshine wouldn't be enough. Especially since most people are still covering up for the most part, as it simply isn't warm enough.

My doc told me that until a celiac is fully recovered vitamin D just simply can't be absorbed - even liquid - so that 20 minutes in the sun (I live in Wisconsin) is goign to be really important.

I did it today. And then took a nap.