This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Foot Swelling?

sarahm19

sarahm19 Newbie

Hi everyone! Im still waiting to get my tests back. Basically i have TOOOONS of celiacs symptoms and a lot of other autoimmune disorders. I cut out gluten for about 1 month now and i have wayyy less stomach probs, so i think i have celiacs.

Anyway, i have a lot of symptoms of malnutrition like i'm very underweight, cracked lips, etc. Almost every day, my feet get so swollen like a balloon and i read online that that can be from malnutrition. Is that from celiacs cause i cant absorb stuff right?

How long does it take of being gluten-free to stop the malnutrition symptoms? Thanks!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, I never LOOKED malnourished, as I was gaining instead of losing weight, but I was low in several nutrients.

My feet used to get awfully swollen, by night they'd be blown up like balloons. I never have swollen feet any more now.

You might want to consider that you may have other intolerances as well, not just gluten. The swelling could be a reaction to something else. I am not sure if it could be from malnutrition, maybe one of the people that lost a ton of weight prior to diagnosis can answer that one.

sarahm19 Newbie

thanks for the fast reply.

I do know that I'm lactose intolerant too and im pretty sure I'm allergic to citrus. I'm avoiding all that. Lately its just hard for me to eat out because i really dont want them to mess up this healing process for me. Like im supposed to meet people at quiznos Saturday, but they have gluten in all the sandwiches and even in the chicken breast strips...well maybe i'll bring something!

Ashley Enthusiast

Sarahm19- Your symptoms are very similar to what mine were. I, too, was really underweight (lost nearly eighty-pounds). Right, the anti-bodies attack the small intestine when gluten sticks to the villi (sp), wearing them down thus many nutrients are not absorbed. My feet were also swollen at times, but, I've had issues with my right foot being re-sprained for the fourth time. Tomorrow, I have will be Dxed for an entire year. After staying gluten-free for the most part, I noticed my weight-loss began to level off near 8 months or so. It's different for everyone, depending how long you went eating gluten and how damaged your intestines are. What kinds of tests did have done? Blood Work? Endo scope? A biopsy is really good look of how your intestines look and the G.I. doctor could probably give a rough sketch of how long it would take for things to heal.

-Ash

nikki-uk Enthusiast
Anyway, i have a lot of symptoms of malnutrition like i'm very underweight, cracked lips, etc. Almost every day, my feet get so swollen like a balloon and i read online that that can be from malnutrition. Is that from celiacs cause i cant absorb stuff right

My husband's feet and ankles used to swell up so much he couldn't get shoes on-he could only wear sandals.-but he was very skinny everywhere else.His feet also used to be a funny purple colour.

If you pushed your finger into his swollen feet it used to leave a white indentation,suggesting it was water retention.No doctor ever gave him an explanation for it,-so we just chalked it up to one of the many symptoms of celiac disease.

The swelling went away a few months after G.F

eKatherine Rookie

My feet were swollen, too, and the one with the bone spurs was downright painful. I used to get bruising just from walking.

Not eating gluten has been extremely helpful, but it's not the only issue. I'll be figuring out if milk or something else is an issue soon, too.

If your lips are cracked and dry, you might want to look at your diet to see if you're getting enough fat. Fat keeps your eyes bright and your coat shiny.

Guest Babbia

I would also have very swollen feet, but I was gaining weight.

Anyone know what causes the swelling?

Babbia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

I have bone spurs as well, one on my heel, the other on my left hip. Not fun things.

Swelling of feet and legs is frequently caused by using too much salt. This problem can be inherited as well, and a low sodium diet is recommended.

sarahm19 Newbie
I have bone spurs as well, one on my heel, the other on my left hip. Not fun things.

Swelling of feet and legs is frequently caused by using too much salt. This problem can be inherited as well, and a low sodium diet is recommended.

hmm thats weird. Ive always had very low blood pressure and im always showing dehydration on my tests too so they told me have salt if i want. Thanks everyone for the replies. Im just really happy, thinking that maybe 6 months from now I'll be feeling a lot better. Its hard to stay gluten-free! But its gonna be worth it.

Archived