• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

In the passover display in my grocery store, I found Manischewitz macaroons. They had lots of varietys - but be careful, some do have wheat in them. It is clearly listed in bold print. I bought the Toffee Crunch and oh, my... so yummy! They have lots of flavors, and here's a link which lists their wheat free products.

http://www.manischewitz.com/health_corner/index.php

Manischewitz has a gluten free list and a wheat free list. The toffee crunch macaroons are NOT on the gluten free list, but they are on the wheat free list. I'm assuming they aren't gluten free. There are lots of other macaroons though that ARE on the gluten free list. I hope you didn't get sick from the toffee ones.

Manischewitz has a gluten free list and a wheat free list. The toffee crunch macaroons are NOT on the gluten free list, but they are on the wheat free list. I'm assuming they aren't gluten free. There are lots of other macaroons though that ARE on the gluten free list. I hope you didn't get sick from the toffee ones.

Wow, why is that? Wheat is not listed as an ingredient. I compared it to the other kind I bought and the only difference is "invert sugar and brown sugar". Ok, I don't know what invert sugar is, but it doesn't sound like wheat. I emailed the company and will put them aside - for now. Much to tasty to throw out without at least getting confirmation. I'm hoping they just forgot to put in on the gluten-free list ;)

Wow, why is that? Wheat is not listed as an ingredient. I compared it to the other kind I bought and the only difference is "invert sugar and brown sugar". Ok, I don't know what invert sugar is, but it doesn't sound like wheat. I emailed the company and will put them aside - for now. Much to tasty to throw out without at least getting confirmation. I'm hoping they just forgot to put in on the gluten-free list ;)

My supermarket has both Manischevitz and Streits brands. All the Streits are Gluten Free while only about 2 or so of the Manischevitz were gluten-free. Streits have very very few ingredients: "Sulfite-Free Coconut, Invert Sugar and Egg Whites" for the "Coconut" (Plain) flavor. :)

I love mararoons too and am gland they make them gluten-free.

Wish there was a gluten-free Matzoh!

Ev, I'm not sure why, but I hope too that they're gluten free as well. I love toffee chips!!! Mmmmmm.... Let us know what you hear back from the company. Hopefully they'll pop up on the gluten free list soon if they're safe.

Ev, I'm not sure why, but I hope too that they're gluten free as well. I love toffee chips!!! Mmmmmm.... Let us know what you hear back from the company. Hopefully they'll pop up on the gluten free list soon if they're safe.

Well, so far so good - feeling fine! And, alas, the company is closed during passover. Fortunately, I bought enough of the other kind that should tide me over :P

Finally - a response. I did see the Almond Macaroons in the store and they do clearly list wheat in them, although they are on the wheat free list according to their website. I sent a message and hopefully they will fix it - fortunately we are all so good at reading labels now!

We are working hard to respond to all the messages we received during the Passover holiday so please forgive the delay.

The Wheat Free list was created as we were learning more about items being gluten free. If a product is gluten free it cannot have wheat so we have enlarged the gluten free list but not the wheat free one. Due to the number of Macaroon flavors we somehow forgot to include the Toffee Crunch. The list has to be checked to add new products so we will be sure to check all the varieties of Macaroons.

Thank you for pointing out this error.