• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

penguin

Camping At A Summer Camp

Rate this topic

So I have this massive GS campout to go to in a few weeks at a big fancy summer camp that part of the council is renting for the weekend. As a rule, they have a strict policy of outside food, but they're letting me bring some of my own. Especially since I have to keep up with twelve lively 4th grade girls, and having only outhouses, it's imparitive that I don't get sick. Oh, I'm hypoglycemic and allergic to tree nuts, as well.

We will be eating every meal in the camp's cafeteria. I have to cover 2 breakfasts, a lunch, and a dinner. I also have to deal with a fast food dinner on the way there, but I think I'll pick up a chick-fil-a salad before we leave.

They always have fresh fruit available, and they have a salad bar at lunch and dinner, though I do not know if I can trust it or not, as I am quite sensitive. I can't have most gluten-free snack/energy bars because of the nuts thing, and they're pretty sugary to boot. I'm thinking I'm going to live primarily off boost and dinty moore beef stew, and carry some glucose tablets with me. I'm afraid I'm going to need an ever so fashionable fanny pack :rolleyes:

Any suggestions about the best way to handle this? What flavors of boost are good?

Any help is appreciated! :)

I hate boost soo much, I would not reccomend it at all. I drank like 5 cans a day this summer, not good at all!!!!!!!!!!!

The salad bar would be good if you can get to it first,

Do they have cooks there? If they do, you can talk to them, and they should be able to make you whatever you need. Maybe you could contact the people there and see what they have. For the fast food, just bring your own food, the only way to go on that. I am going to camp for only the 2nd time this summer, but last time they were very good, and i didn't get sick over 4 weeks!

Hope you have fun!

BUMP! :)

The camping trip is this weekend and I'm really nervous! I got high protein boost, dinty moore beef stew, and some safeway dehydrated soup cup things. Also some raisins and prunes. I'm hoping that I can get to the salad bar first. I don't trust the kitchen to make anything for me, because it's a camp kitchen, where all appliances are along the walls and all prep work for everything is done on an island.

What else? I'm concerned that I won't have enough to eat and I'll be shakey and forced to eat gluten! :o

What else is good that doesn't have to be refridgerated or heated (with anything but hot water)?

TIA!

Thai Kitchen noodle carts (you just put hot water in them). I often live on Corn Thins with peanut butter when I travel. Sharkies energy fruit chews can be a good alternative to energy bars. Can you bring stuff in a cooler and then put it in their fridge when you get there?

Skippy makes a Natural Peanut Butter that does not need to be refrigerated. It's good by the spoon (the way I usually eat it) and spread on Envirokidz Chocolate Snack Bars, fruit or celery. Hope all goes well--have a safe trip! :)