• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

VydorScope

Darifree Chocloate Ice Cream

Rate this topic

THis is what I call a BASIC icecream recipe. Anyone should be able to pull this off if you have an ice cream maker. I have : http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.as...-1&SKU=11254055 which I got for $39.99 thanks to a coupon. :)

Freeze Ice cream canister at least overnight, you want it nice and SOLID so that when you shake it you do not hear any liquid moving around.

LEAVE the canister in the freezer while your making this.

In a big bow mix (I used electric mixer)

3/4th cup Pure Cocoa

3/4th cup Raw Sugar (or your favorite replacement)

2 TSP Vanilla Extract

3 cups COLD prepaired DairFree

Mix all the ingredients throughly.

Then asemble the machine and turn it on. Slowly pour in the mixture to through the hole in the top of the mixer. Let run 25-30 mins, or unil you get the consitancey you want.

Transfer to a contianer and freeze what you dont not eat. Do not store it in the canister or it will turn ROCK HARD. :)

Thats it! Enjoy!

NOTE: I looked at a bunch of recipes for making DariFree ice cream, and they used Eggs, Salt, Oil, and other wierdo ingredients, none of which is needed. :)

Thanks for the recipe, but where do I buy Dairfree?

Thanks for posting this recipe...I've been wanting some type of Vances ice cream recipe for a while and haven't felt like experimenting. I'm going to use Chatfield's Carob Powder for the cocoa ingredient though(Im allergic to cocoa). Also, good to know about that ice cream maker - Ive been indecisive about which brand to purchase.

Sunni

Vincent-- So it tastes pretty good?

Yes. Its not the exactly same as milk based ice cream because Vances is fat free... its more like what you would get if you made ice cream with skim milk. With the lack of milk fat, the flavor of the cocoa is a bit stronger, so you might want to back off some on it, this was VERY rich. :)

I'm going to use Chatfield's Carob Powder for the cocoa ingredient though(Im allergic to cocoa).

If you leave teh cocoa out completely you get Vanilla ice cream, if your into that :)

Also, good to know about that ice cream maker - Ive been indecisive about which brand to purchase.

The machine happened to be the one in the store at the time, and a couple ppl told me they liked it. It works alot better then the Walmart Brand (made by GE) one that I broke though! :)

What is fake milk made out of?

More Info can be found here : http://www.vancesfoods.com/ but here isthe ingredintes:

Maltodextrin (from potatoes), Potato Starch, Natural Flavors (no MSG), Crystalline Fructose, Calcium Carbonate, colored with Titanium Dioxide (an inert mineral), Carrageenan, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Lactic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin K1, Thiamin mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Biotin.

:o wow thats high priced

Last I looked DariFree was between $1 and 1.39 per quart of milk pendnig how much you buy at once. Cheaper then some of hte alternatives here that run over $2 per quart.

I might try redoing htis recipe with a bit of salt to riase the freezing point a bit. It freezes pretty hard with time, unless of course you plan to eat it all rgith away :D But my freezer is at -15F, much colder then most :)

For those, like me. who are not into making their own ice cream, do try Sharon's Sorbet. This is not at all Sorbet as you probably think of it - icy. It is smooth, creamy and comes in many flavors. All are diary free, gluten free and soy free (except the coconut which has soy). Available at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Also available online but more expensive. Claire

Vincent ~ what kind of container did you store the leftovers in? I used a tupperware container and it was ROCK solid last night when I took it out.

Maybe I'll plan to have no leftovers next time B)

Vincent ~ what kind of container did you store the leftovers in? I used a tupperware container and it was ROCK solid last night when I took it out.

Maybe I'll plan to have no leftovers next time B)

Same, with same results :) Thats why I mentioned if I did it again I would try adding some salt to change the freezing point bit... but realy the best plan is no left overs LOL

Cheri and Vincent--same with me! Vinvent, how much salt do you think we need to use? I used 4 cups of Dairi Free. (So I had a lot left over--had to let it sit on counter a few minutes, and even then had to scrape enough off to eat :D )

Cheri and Vincent--same with me! Vinvent, how much salt do you think we need to use? I used 4 cups of Dairi Free. (So I had a lot left over--had to let it sit on counter a few minutes, and even then had to scrape enough off to eat :D )

There's not enough fat in the ice cream to make it soft and pliable like regular ice cream. Fat doesn't just taste good, it's got a job to do! :P

There's not enough fat in the ice cream to make it soft and pliable like regular ice cream. Fat doesn't just taste good, it's got a job to do! :P

Thats also true, try adding some oil.

I will try the oil first--the recipe from Vance's calls for 2 tbsp. of oil. I looked at that, and at Vincent's and then made up my own based on those! Probably should have followed the recipe first, and then made changes--that's me--a little backward :D Thanks :)

I will try the oil first--the recipe from Vance's calls for 2 tbsp. of oil. I looked at that, and at Vincent's and then made up my own based on those! Probably should have followed the recipe first, and then made changes--that's me--a little backward :D Thanks :)

hehe, prehaps recipes are for ppl that lack imagination :lol:

If you can wrap your brain around it, you could do an avocado ice cream with the Vance's here's one that I found and modified, but I don't know how well it would work, it looks good on paper, anyway :P :

1 c. + 2 c. dari-free, 1/2 packet gelatin, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 3 ripe avocados

Take the avocados, peel and seed them then put into a blender with the 1 c. of dari free and make a puree. Pour the puree into a mixing bowl, add the sugar, lemon juice, salt, gelatin, and the rest of the dari free and beat until creamy. Then transfer the complete mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

You could do a lot with fatty fruits and veggies. Peanut butter ice cream (w/choc chips especially), cashew butter ice cream, coconut ice cream, anything with a higher fat content.

In just a basic recipe, I think coconut oil would be good to help it be soft and not really affect the flavor.

EDIT: With the gelatin, dissolve it in a little boiling water first before adding to the dari free

Wow--thanks Chelsea! Avodado ice cream--never thought about that, but I see what you mean about the fat content making the finished product soft. Will have to get back to the ice cream maker and experiment a litle bit more :D

What does the gelatin do for the ice cream?