Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VydorScope

Darifree Chocloate Ice Cream

What does the gelatin do for the ice cream?

I think the gelatin would help some with making it soft, since gelatin doesn't like to freeze very easily, and also to give at least some of the dairy free stuff more of a cream consistency, though I thought about that after posting and I imagine you could make the Vance's double strength.

Here's a coconut avocado ice cream recipe I found over at allrecipes:

http://dessert.allrecipes.com/az/104558.asp

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups milk

1 cup coconut cream

1/2 cup white sugar

2 (1/2 pound) avocados, peeled and pitted

3/4 teaspoon lemon juice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Puree milk, coconut cream, sugar, avocados, and lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for several hours until cold. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions, then freeze overnight.

Allow ice cream to soften in refrigerator for 10 minutes before serving.

I'm guessing the Vance's could sub for the milk easily. I'd add a touch of salt though, if nothing else to bring out the sweet flavors.

Think I'll skip the avocados.. We just finished up the last of the ice cream ... as Frostys!

I made hamburgers and hot dogs with Alexia fries for lunch and Nick was crabbing that we never get to eat at Wendy's or McDs. He wanted a milkshake so I took out the leftovers and let it get mushy. Then threw it in the blender w/some Hersheys chocolate.. YUMMY!

I also looked in the recipe book that came w/the maker. They all say "remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving".

Last night, I still had about 1/2 of a large tupperware container filled with the rock solid stuff. Put it in the microwave, and put it on defrost for 1 minute. It was still firm, but easier to scoop out. I have ordered more Vance's (needed it anyway), and bought some gelatin. The next time, I plan to try the gelatin and a small amount of oil. I have some expeller pressed sunflower--will probably use that. I'll report how it went. Gee, I remember when all I had to do was open a container if I wanted ice cream--it's become such a production! <_<