This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Still Falling Out!

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hi all - - I've been gluten-free for nearly three months and my hair is STIll falling out significantly. Am wondering if any of you saw diminishment of this and how long it took. I'm quite concerned. BTW I am 44, so changes will naturally occur, but no signs of menopause yet. I'm no longer anemic, as far as I know....

Help! :o

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Susan--Gosh. I understand your concern. I had hair loss to the point where I had patches that were thin enough to see my scalp. For me, I began to stop losing after 3-4 months on the gluten-free diet and vitamins. At that point, I had my hair cut so the spots would blend in better. :( It's been 10 months now, and my hair has grown back in pretty well. It's not as thick all over as it once was, but at least there are no more thin areas. Are you feeling better overall at this point? Also, do you take any vitamins--a multi is a good idea. Hopefully, your hair will respond to the positive changes you have made soon. :)

Matilda Enthusiast

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Good news, girls, thanks for replying. Patti, I do take a multi (Centrum), B supplement, and iron. Got blood results back, my iron is now NORMAL for the first time in years!! So, I can only hope the hair loss will end soon......'twould be one less thing to deal with! :)

Thanks!

Susan

sspitzer5 Apprentice
Hi all - - I've been gluten-free for nearly three months and my hair is STIll falling out significantly. Am wondering if any of you saw diminishment of this and how long it took. I'm quite concerned. BTW I am 44, so changes will naturally occur, but no signs of menopause yet. I'm no longer anemic, as far as I know....

Help! :o

Susan

Hi Susan,

I'd get your thyroid checked. Low thyroid can cause hair loss and is very common with Celiac.

S

breadlover Newbie

Hi everyone! My hair fell out when I was first diagnosed too. CHECK YOUR SHAMPOO!!! My doctor is very very smart and said to check the ingrediants of my shampoo and conditionor sure enough, Wheat gluten, hydrogolized wheat protion, wheat oil whatever you name it there were like five wheat ingrediants and if your a sensitive celiac is can externally effect you!! I stopped that shampoo got some gluten free stuff from whole foods and now my hair is back thick and gorgous. Good luck!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

AAAaaaagh!! didn't think of that....I've actually been using Nioxxin shampoo, expensive stuff to keep from LOSING hair - didn't even check ingredients! :ph34r:

did get my thyroid checked two weeks ago and everything looks okay, S, thank you for that as that had occurred to me as well.

One day, this will all make sense.......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aaascr Apprentice

It took 6-7 months for my hair to stop

falling out - I also took biotin to help

the new growth.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

DingoGirl -- STOP SOY!

SOY is poison. It is what caused me my thyroid problem and will cause hair loss.

Have your thyroid checked and remove SOY from your diet. Really give it a try you'll get better. I am not kidding I promise!

I just noticed your last post. What were your thyroid blood levels, if you don't mind me asking??? Because everyones body is different. What is normal for you, might not be normal from me. I went to my doc a few weeks ago. I was bouncing off the walls in the hyper thyroid mode. The doc said "You are in the NORMAL range" it was a few number away from being a huge problem. I knew by listening to my body I was getting too much meduication in my system. She said "...your okay!" I wasn't -- I went to another doc and he changed my medication and I feel so much better.

And P.S. my hair stopped falling out. For me SOY and thyroid hyper or hypo causes hair loss for me.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Ms. Sillyak - - I have been concerned about soy, so hardly eating any at this point, but that just started. I think you were the one that posted some info earlier on soy and I had been following that...who knew!!!

And you know what, I think my doctor is kind of sick of me, so I may switch to another - not really liking her too much any more. :angry: She just brushed off my thyroid question and said, everything's fine. My "physical" yesterday, with pap smear? A whole THREE MINUTES. Anyway she wouldn't show me the thyroid numbers. So, I'll get a copy of my bloodwork and consult the experts!

Thanks for that information, hoping to be feeling better soon and stop the hair loss - - -

Susan

Rusla Enthusiast

I agree on having your thyroid check. Make sure they check antibodies and have an ultrasound too. That is because the TSH can read normal when your thyroid isn't. I would lose handfuls due to anemia, thyroid and this. Now I don't lose so much hair but then, I have just eliminated over a foot of hair.

flagbabyds Collaborator

For sure check your shampoo/conditioner because that can cause major problems. When I was diagnosed (as a baby) lost all my hair and took at least a year to have it kind of grow back, still took like 2-3 years to have normal hair again, but that was me being a baby.

breadlover Newbie

Dinogirl always get your blood test results and start keeping a file! I have a celiac file and I bust that thing out all the time. Good job on switching doctors if they dont want to listen to our problems and help find someone who does. They dont know whats it like being celiac. Good luck! P.S i went thru the whole tyroid thing. My tests were elavated thyroid levels and then they re-tested and they were fine my bodys crazy i guess who knows.

Archived