This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Orange County Ca Celiacs?

winki4

winki4 Apprentice

Looking for Orange County California Celiacs to exchange with. I live in Anaheim (North County) but would love to hear from South County folks too.

Wendy

• 4 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovebug Newbie
Looking for Orange County California Celiacs to exchange with. I live in Anaheim (North County) but would love to hear from South County folks too.

Wendy

Hi i'm melyssa i live in anaheim also. i am having alot of problems vith my celiac and i dont know what to do.

melyssa

• 3 months later...
goofy01girl Newbie

Hi guys,

I live in Irvine. I just turn to this new way of eating but also learned that dairy did not agree with me as well. I feel like a new person. I'm having fun learning to cook the new food but always up for new idea's. I need all the help I can get.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I live in Irvine. I can be contacted by sending a PM. celiac.com and celiac.org both have listings for local support groups.

Looking for answers Contributor

Hi,

I live in Tustin. I've never been diagnosed with Celiac, but went gluten free after years of being sick. Now I feel like a new person! Nice to know others are near by!

• 2 weeks later...
Cynbd Contributor

Hi there,

I live in South County, Dana Point area. I was dx right after Thanksgiving and have been gluten-free since. It would be nice to exchange local restaurant, shopping, and cooking experiences for this area.

Anyone tried Skosh Monahans yet?

quantumsugar Apprentice

Hey all, I'm up in Northern OC as well. Been gluten-free for almost two years now. And... not to sound like an uninformed Orange County-er, but what is Skosh Monahans?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cynbd Contributor
Hey all, I'm up in Northern OC as well. Been gluten-free for almost two years now. And... not to sound like an uninformed Orange County-er, but what is Skosh Monahans?

Hi there,

Skosh Monahans is a restaurant in Costa Mesa that has a gluten free/cassien free menu. I believe the story goes something like; they have an Autistic child that must be gluten free so they have a gluten free menu which includes Pizza.

I have not eaten there, it is an Irish Pub type place.. but I have heard about it, so I was just wondering if anyone from the area has tried it yet.

I am too fearful of going out to eat so I rarely go... I do miss it though...

Here is an article that includes Skosh Monahans in it from the local paper, for those who are interested.

Open Original Shared Link

Looking for answers Contributor
Hi there,

Skosh Monahans is a restaurant in Costa Mesa that has a gluten free/cassien free menu. I believe the story goes something like; they have an Autistic child that must be gluten free so they have a gluten free menu which includes Pizza.

I have not eaten there, it is an Irish Pub type place.. but I have heard about it, so I was just wondering if anyone from the area has tried it yet.

I am too fearful of going out to eat so I rarely go... I do miss it though...

Here is an article that includes Skosh Monahans in it from the local paper, for those who are interested.

Thanks for sharing. I haven't tried the restaurant yet, but you've peeked my interest. I'll give it a try and will post back.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
Jen Hudson Newbie

Hi all! I'm in Huntington Beach...been diagnosed for a little over a year now and luckily have been pretty daring in trying out restaurants in the area.

I have been to Skosh Mohins (however you spell it) :) They were VERY knowledgeable! I haven't even been to a restaurant before that says they have a gluten free menu and on top of your server knowing what you're talking about, the manager comes to make sure the food came out all OK. It was an excellent experience and the food was great! They have a wide variety of types of food, even pizza and breaded (gluten-free) chicken fingers!! Now, I don't know about you all, but I haven't had both of those items in quite some time, and being gluten-free they were great! The atmosphere of the place is very irish pub/oddly placed restaurant with big flat screens everywhere....

Also, just a few miles the other way on the 55 freeway....if you get off at Bristol, there is a restaurant called ZeTejas. It's a TexMex place with decent prices, good food, pretty good service if you're not in a hurry, cute atmosphere (kinda like the Elephant Bar decor) and they have a gluten-free menu. Only thing is every time I've been there, the server had a minut clue what gluten was, so go prepared to know your stuff and have the server check with the head chef on duty regarding any questions you have. Definetely a good date place :)

Hope this helps! :)

Jen Hudson Newbie
Hi all! I'm in Huntington Beach...been diagnosed for a little over a year now and luckily have been pretty daring in trying out restaurants in the area.

I have been to Skosh Mohins (however you spell it) :) They were VERY knowledgeable! I haven't even been to a restaurant before that says they have a gluten free menu and on top of your server knowing what you're talking about, the manager comes to make sure the food came out all OK. It was an excellent experience and the food was great! They have a wide variety of types of food, even pizza and breaded (gluten-free) chicken fingers!! Now, I don't know about you all, but I haven't had both of those items in quite some time, and being gluten-free they were great! The atmosphere of the place is very irish pub/oddly placed restaurant with big flat screens everywhere....

Also, just a few miles the other way on the 55 freeway....if you get off at Bristol, there is a restaurant called ZeTejas. It's a TexMex place with decent prices, good food, pretty good service if you're not in a hurry, cute atmosphere (kinda like the Elephant Bar decor) and they have a gluten-free menu. Only thing is every time I've been there, the server had a minut clue what gluten was, so go prepared to know your stuff and have the server check with the head chef on duty regarding any questions you have. Definetely a good date place :)

Hope this helps! :)

P.S. I forgot to give a little more detail about the location of ZeTejas...it's actually off the 405 and Bristol right on the outside of South Coast Plaza. You can't miss the big red sign if you're looking at the mall from Bristol....

Guest lorlyn

HI

LORLYN

Hi there,

I live in South County, Dana Point area. I was dx right after Thanksgiving and have been gluten-free since. It would be nice to exchange local restaurant, shopping, and cooking experiences for this area.

Anyone tried Skosh Monahans yet?

• 1 month later...
elissaley Newbie

Wendy

Hi,

I live in Tustin and I am so happy to know that there are so many other people around that are gluten-free. I hurt my back a couple of months ago, but I was reading an article about six months ago in the Sunday paper about people who get together and cook once a month. Is there a club like this in existence for those of us who are gluten-free? If not, is anyone interested? I would love to do this as soon as I am more comfortable moving around.

Oh, I posted this under restaurants, but here is a place that I absolutely love to eat at:

{{I discovered this restaurant about a year and a half ago and since I found this forum, I thought I should share this with the group.

If you live around the area or if you are traveling to Disneyland, I strongly suggest eating at Storyteller's Cafe. My husband and I have passes to the parks, and we ate at Ariel's Grotto once and the food was horrible. They had only one item - Pasta that tasted like paper, which I wouldn't even eat after the first bite. Then, we found this place.

It is outside of the park inside of the Grand Californian Hotel, right never the pool for the hotel and the food is excellent! Hamburgers - with gluten-free buns, Pizza, desserts and they have a breakfast menu as well - I have only eaten lunch and dinner there though. It is a decently nice restaurant, which has rolls on the table, which aren't gluten-free, but if you ask for them, they will bring you gluten-free rolls at no extra charge. The chef will come out and let you know what is gluten-free and they are extremely helpful. The other great thing about this place is that the prices are comparable to Red Robin, which is nice if you are on a budget.

Once, I came to eat here though, during the week and they were closed between lunch and dinner for a short period, so we went next door, which is called something like the Rapid's Cafe, Canoe Something or Explores Snacks - something like that - this is also outside of the park. They went next door to prepare my gluten-free hamburger, with a bun and made my special french fries as well, which I was extremely impressed with since it is a cafeteria style place.

In addition to Storyteller's and the substitute, if they are closed, check out the Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney, they are also fairly accomodating.

The reservation number for Disneyland Dining, which includes Storyteller's Cafe is 714-781-3463.

Enjoy!}}

Elissa

Sinenox Apprentice

I saw that on Meetup.com there was a food intolerances group for the OC. I think it was shutting down thought because no one was in it. If you guys are interested someone should head over to Meetup and take it over. I know that woman running it was looking to hand it off.

• 3 weeks later...
gotwinePB Newbie
Hi guys,

I live in Irvine. I just turn to this new way of eating but also learned that dairy did not agree with me as well. I feel like a new person. I'm having fun learning to cook the new food but always up for new idea's. I need all the help I can get.

Hello, I will be traveling to Irvine, Laguna beach and Newport Beach area next week April 18 and would like to know what Restaurants you would reccommend for eating out. Thanks for your help. Also, are there any health stores in the area where I could get some food, snacks.

Cynbd Contributor
Hello, I will be traveling to Irvine, Laguna beach and Newport Beach area next week April 18 and would like to know what Restaurants you would reccommend for eating out. Thanks for your help. Also, are there any health stores in the area where I could get some food, snacks.

Hello,

As far as health stores, there is a Wild Oats right in downtown Laguna Beach on Broadway. There is also a Whole Foods in Tustin (that is the closest one.) A Mother's Market in Laguna Hills, near the Laguna Hills Mall. I am sure you can find addresses on the internet, if not let me know.

As far as restaurants, you would probably do well ordering grilled fish and steamed vegies with the accompanying dialogue. I have had pretty good luck with that at most seafood places.

Also, there are the standard PF Changs, Outback, Pei Wei.

Then there is Skosh Monahans in Costa Mesa -- you will find that restaurant in this thread.

In Irvine, at the Spectrum, there is a PF Changs and The Fish Market. I have eaten at the Fish Market and it was good, and the chef knew what I was talking about, and I didn't go during busy hours.

I don't go out to eat very often -- I did go to the Soup Plantation on the 22nd of March.... Yikes... Big e. Coli scare, but that "was' just about the only place I go for social dining, and I bring my own salad dressing <--- not sure when I will be going back tho :o

Hope that helps...

• 1 year later...
DorianChaotic Newbie

Hi! Celiac here as well. I live in Mission Viejo area and am always looking for new places to enjoy! At the moment it has been a lot of Pho noodles, protein based dishes, and uhm... Chili and baked potatoes from Wendy's for me....

Anyways I am always game to talk shop! If anyone would like to chat my yahoo IM is DorianChaotic :P

DorianChaotic Newbie

Just found this, since we have been kind of talking about Skosh Monahans I thought it might be of interest.

It says they have 15 health code violations, I wonder if that is due to the actual food preparation/area, or just the fact it is a pub as well.... Anyone have any more info on it?

El Matador Newbie

Hi to all! I just joined this site. I am suprised to find gluten free girls out there. It's a little tough finding someone who understands gluten intolerance on a first date. I get wierd looks. :blink: Then again I get wierd looks from most people. :P

Mike

SoCal -Riverside/San Bernardino

• 2 weeks later...
Janessa Rookie

Hi I am in Long Beach, I'll have to go try some of those places you are talking about.

• 1 month later...
GFinTustin Newbie
Hi to all! I just joined this site. I am suprised to find gluten free girls out there. It's a little tough finding someone who understands gluten intolerance on a first date. I get wierd looks. :blink: Then again I get wierd looks from most people. :P

Mike

SoCal -Riverside/San Bernardino

Hi Mike -

I know what you mean. The best is when you go to a restaurant and try to explain it to the server - they get that "deer in headlights" glare of panic. :o I have found some restaurants that are accomodating even if they don't have a gluten-free menu.

- Lone Star in Tustin

- China Palace in Tustin

- Melting Pot in San Clemente

- Peking Dragon in Dana Point

- Kings Fish House - on Katella in Anaheim

I know these restaurants may be far from you but it's nice to know they are there.

Also - just found a gluten-free market in San Clemente - Stella Lucy Gluten-Free Market - 108 South El Camino Real, San Clemente, CA 92672 - 949-542-4631 - they just opened 1-month ago.

And if your in the market for a real birthday cake - Sweet Addictions in Montclair is the place to go. Sweet Addictions - 4650 Arrow Hwy - Suite A9 - Montclair, CA 91763 - 909-624-4650 - www.sweetaddictions.biz

- Adrienne

• 4 weeks later...
El Matador Newbie

Adrienne, Thanks for the recommendations. I will give those places a try. I tried Skosh Monahan's Pub & Steakhouse twice in the last 2 months. Good food & service.

Later,

Mike

• 3 months later...
sammychaser Newbie

Hello,

I live in Anaheim CA in the heart of Orange County and have been diagnosed gluten intolerant for at least 3 years. I am dying to find a bakery that makes a cake with buttercream frosting (yum) that is the one thing I really miss. It it not the same when I try to make it. I have called several bakeries in the area and they don't know what the heck I'm talking about.....I have seen several posts from back east where they were able to find places and I am jealous.

My husband even tried shipping one from Arizona but by the time it got here it was stale and had hard frosting....

Anyway it would be nice to hear from anyone in the area with the same troubles ..................

• 1 month later...
Gluten Free LB Meetup Newbie

Hi,

I've started a local meetup group for Long Beach and surrounding areas. The group is for celiacs and gluten-free sensitives to meet up and dine out together as a way to get to know what restaurants, deli's, take-outs, etc are safe places to eat for us.

It's free to join meetup.com and then go to Open Original Shared Link to join out meetup group (it too is free to join).

It's for adults who want to share their experiences and help others find good places to eat.

See you there!

Honor

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Hi,

I've started a local meetup group for Long Beach and surrounding areas. The group is for celiacs and gluten-free sensitives to meet up and dine out together as a way to get to know what restaurants, deli's, take-outs, etc are safe places to eat for us.

It's free to join meetup.com and then go to Open Original Shared Link to join out meetup group (it too is free to join).

It's for adults who want to share their experiences and help others find good places to eat.

See you there!

Honor

Hi Honor

I just joined your group last nite.

I'm moving to Temecula this summer but will be up in these areas to see family so will need places to eat.

I'm hoping this thread will keep adding resturants........and...........anyone around the Temecula area.....please post too OK.

Judy in Philly..........now :lol:

Archived