This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

mftnchn Explorer
Thanks Carla...before bed. The only thing I take at bedtime is melatonin, and my doctor would like me to take a trial period OFF that, lol. I just took two drops, so tomorrow night I'll try 3 before bed.

Donna, my doc had me work up to 10 drops in the morning, and eventually add ten drops in the evening. I didn't have any trouble so went up a drop 2-3 days I think it was, and then ended up with a MAJOR herx. After that I backed off LOL. Went up a drop every week or two.

The samento was very effective for me, so I guess that is why.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aprilh Apprentice
She doesnt only get headaches at home. I think she gets them more frequently at work. She's my boss...she tends to stress out alot at work...because shes under alot of pressure.

Sounds like the store causes chemical stress. Could be her main problem was coming from in the first place. And if she worked there during pregnancy then that would affect the baby.

Another thing to mention is that her mom had chemical sensitivities through all 3 of her pregnancies. It was severe enough that she was unable to work because of all the chemicals in the store. There must be some changes that take place in her body while she is pregnant..which cause her to become senitive to chemicals. The problem resolves itself immediately after she gives birth

Sounds like her liver was impaired during pregnancy and toxins built up in the system. This is passed on to the baby. This could definately be affecting her. And then pile the vaccines on top or any mold exposure no matter how small and she is over burdened already.

To me chemical sensitivity = impaired detoxification.

Heres another thing I'm curious about. The baby does not like milk...she wont take milk in her bottle....it HAS to be apple juice. Shes not on any formula and I dont know how long shes been taking apple juice instead of formula.

Shes not totally off dairy or anything...she does drink the little yogurt drinks for kids...things like that. In her bottle its just apple juice though. She wakes up crying for apple juice.

Could this be having a negative effect on her immune system??

Too much apple juice, even the organic variety can stress the immune system because of the high sugar content. I always switched mine up. And not too much per day. We also do pomegranate/cherry combination.

I dont know enough about formulas to know how long they need to be on them...or if they NEED it to strengthen their immune system up to a certain age. I dont know if drinking apple juice is better than drinking milk....or worse??

Not sure milk would be a better choice either. My little boy is dairy intolerant and when I quit breastfeeding at about 8 months old, I made a homemade baby formula from goats milk. Typically they say to give formula or breastfeed for at least 1 year. I now give him Metagenics Ultra Meal for Kids. This is very hypoallergenic and has lots of good fats and vitamins.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
If the baby keeps catching colds...something is probably weakening her immune system.

Obviously we all know how important breast feeding is....but nowadays we are ALL so toxic that it also seems risky! Toxins are crossing the placenta (mercury) and then there is even MORE exposure through breastmilk...I dont even know which is worse nowadays. Breastfeeding or bottlefeeding?? :unsure:

Breastmilk can be soooo toxic and I think alot of the issues babies have with excema, food intolerance, yeast, etc....comes from all those toxins they are being exposed to early on.

Of the babies I know who had repeated upper respiratory problems, the problems of one were definitely caused by dairy, and totally resolved when she was taken off it. The others ended up with ear infections, tubes--and developmental problems on the autism spectrum. :( Those that were breast-fed did significantly better than those that weren't. None of the other parents bothered to check dietary causes.

My kids' violin teacher has a 1-year-old who is below the 5th percentile in height and weight, has what seem like non-stop upper respiratory and ear infections, as well as asthma, and I have talked myself blue in the face about dietary causes of these things (and provided her with links). He just had tubes put in, and still has problems. And his older brother is autistic. (sigh)The parents won't consider "something as drastic as a diet change."

Breastmilk can be toxic, you're right. But every single toxin in our milk is also in cow's milk-based formula (think of the hormones, antibiotics, and the pesticides in the feed that they eat). Soy-based formula is also full of pesticides. And the benefits of breastmilk--the 100+ substances they have not figured out how to duplicate, like white blood cells--far outweigh the risks, at least IMHO.

She was born with asthma...she had this before she was ever fed by her mother.

She probably received 3-4 vaccines before she was ever fed by her mother. Most hospitals/doctors are still giving first shots when the baby is a couple of hours old.

Unless she was poisoned in utero (possibly by dental work during pregnancy, or by something like Lyme crossing the placenta), or unless it is a congenital condition like cystic fibrosis, I would suspect that she was not born with whatever it is.

aprilh Apprentice

I agree....I think giving kids and baby's cow dairy formula's and milk can be just as debilitating to the immune system.

ONe of the main causes of ear infections and asthma for kids nowadays.

I wish I would have known then what I know now...I would have cut a LOT of things out of my diet while breastfeeding.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
My kids' violin teacher has a 1-year-old who is below the 5th percentile in height and weight, has what seem like non-stop upper respiratory and ear infections, as well as asthma, and I have talked myself blue in the face about dietary causes of these things (and provided her with links). He just had tubes put in, and still has problems. And his older brother is autistic. (sigh)The parents won't consider "something as drastic as a diet change."

Yup...its frusterating when parents dont consider dietary changes. I still believe that these kids who are suffering all these food intolerances have underlying issues. If it were my child I would definately make diet changes (as I did for myself) BUT....more importantly I would look deeper to get to the root cause.

I would do no different for my child than I have done for myself. Even though I've had so many different symtpoms caused by various food intolerences...I never belived that all of this occured for no good reason. I do think most of the food problems are brought on by the underlying issues.

Each additional stressor makes the body less capable of dealing with everyday exposures to toxins or common allergens. My own opinion is that if a child is heavily burdened by metals and other toxins....plus infections...they are going to react more severely to foods than someone who is not dealing with these issues and who does not have a leaky gut as a result of those underlying factors.

Same goes for other common allergens such as dust, molds, pet dander, etc.

I'm not in the camp that believes that gluten and dairy are causing the leaky gut in all of these kids. Leaky gut/Autism wasnt such a common issue until these kids were exposed to many more insults to the immune system with the increase in vaccinations.

To me these kinds of intolerances are a clue as to what things need to be investigated. I would not stop at eliminating gluten and dairy.....but that would certainly be a starting point and would definately help to reduce stress on the immune system.

Breastmilk can be toxic, you're right. But every single toxin in our milk is also in cow's milk-based formula (think of the hormones, antibiotics, and the pesticides in the feed that they eat).

No...not every single toxin that is in our milk is also present in cow milk based formula. The most damaging toxin in our own milk is mercury....since cows do not have amalgams nor do they eat fish....there is not likely to be mercury in the formula.

Mercury is definately excreted through breast milk and its definately damaging to the babies immune system...the brain, the nervous system, the organs, etc.

Also, all of the other toxins...the pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, etc...all of those become more problematic in a body that is also dealing with mercury. The body is less able to cope with additional stressors.

I think if I had a baby right now...at this moment in time...it would be safer to NOT breastfeed...unless of course my Dr. had some really good advice as to how to clean up my breastmilk so that the baby wasnt getting so many toxins.

I dont think I would feel comfortable with it at all...not until I was sure that my own body was cleaned up from all this toxicity. Alot of mothers who have issues wind up having babies who have the same exact issues....thats coming from toxins/infections crossing the placenta..and from the toxins excreted from breastmilk.

And the benefits of breastmilk--the 100+ substances they have not figured out how to duplicate, like white blood cells--far outweigh the risks, at least IMHO.

That is very true....but what about when that same milk is also laced with something as toxic as mercury?? Do the advantages still outweigh the risks if the amount is significant and if the child is also having additional exposures from vaccinations??

How do you know how safe your breastmilk really is??

From what I've read....breastmilk which has been tested in mothers who have amalgams has shown to be more toxic than what would be allowable for a landfill! :o

Even though the benefits of breastfeeding involve strengthening the immune system....I'm not convinced its doing the job when at the same time the baby is getting big doses of mercury...which is extremely damaging to the immune system...particularly in babies.

So yeah...for this one I have to look at both sides....and even though we KNOW breastfeeding is very important....none of those studies are looking at the impact so many toxins in our own bodies have on the baby. If we didnt have mercury in our mouths and thousands of chemicals in our everyday lives...sure...breast feeding would without question be the BEST way to go.

Studies show that children have HUGE amounts of chemicals in their system...even more than some adults!! Where is it all coming from?? I have to believe that alot of it comes from the mother since the fetus does become a "dumping ground" for the mothers own toxic burden. Then with breast feeding on top of it...I think it can be very hazardous to the baby in some cases.

I think the benefits of breastfeeding would vary....it would probably depend on so many factors involving both the health of the mother and the health of the baby. If the mothers milk is loaded with mercury...and that child is not able to excrete mercury as well as the next child...it could be very damaging IMO.

CarlaB Enthusiast

It would be interesting to test my two oldest kids for mercury. By the time I had Chloe, I had no amalgams and she tested very low, the lowest my PA had ever seen (a 1). But I had amalgams with the oldest two.

One of our kids needed fillings, so we told the dentist to use white ones ... well, he put in amalgams!! :angry::o We should have driven that child up to Indianapolis to the biological dentist there, but didn't .... we had that dope remove the fillings (at no charge, of course). So, not only did that kid have to go through fillings twice, but also got a good dose of mercury.

I wish I could say that kid was Chloe since she's been tested .... but it wasn't, we don't think .... we can't remember which it was, but her younger sister has a lot of fillings, she got my bad teeth.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I would guess that the majority of toxic chemicals in the mother would have already crossed the placenta before birth. One of the roles of the breast is to manufacture immunoglobulins specific to whatever the mother has been exposed to; but the actual virus or bacteria is not passed through into the milk. I wonder if the same holds true for toxic metals?

I would not be so quick to suspect breastmilk as the culprit. Ten years ago, I went to a talk given by Andrew Wakefield. He mentioned mercury toxicity as a one of many likely causes of autism. There had been something in the news that week about mercury and breastmilk, so I asked him if he would discourage moms of at-risk babies from breastfeeding, and he said, "Absolutely not!" He went on to say that both his own experience and the available research indicated that kids on the autistic spectrum who had been breastfed invariably did far better than kids who had been bottle-fed. He felt that, if anything, breastfeeding has a protective effect, even for autism.

My own observations certainly agree with this. When #2 and #3 were babies, I spent a lot of time in waiting rooms with parents of autistic kids, and those parents invariably seemed surprised to see a mom nursing. Those that had breastfed their babies had only done so for a short time, usually a matter of weeks. Their kids were ALL far more profoundly autistic than my #1.

I think cow's milk is involved in autism as well. Every autistic kid I know (and I know quite a few) was given cow's milkformula. (I'm sure there are autistic kids who weren't--this is just how it turns out with the ones that I know personally.)My own #1 was given formula for his first 5 days--since I had been given magnesium sulfate during labor to prevent seizures (I had pre-eclampsia), that inhibited milk production, and even though I pumped every 3 hours for 5 days, I didn't get a drop of milk until the 5th day. But I had read enough research so that I was determined to breast feed, and I kept pumping until I did produce milk (the end of the 5th day). At that point, I tossed the bottles and formula and never looked back. And I am convinced that had I continued with formula, he would have been much more profoundly autistic.

I'm not in the camp that believes that gluten and dairy are causing the leaky gut in all of these kids. Leaky gut/Autism wasnt such a common issue until these kids were exposed to many more insults to the immune system with the increase in vaccinations.

T

I totally agree. Leaky gut just lets gluten and casein through.

AndreaB Contributor
I hear you all talk about pregnancy bringing on things, and i know that is what caused all my problems im dealing with now. I had 4 kids in 5 years so my body never got to heal in between especially with my second son was an emergency c/s and they had flight for life waiting cause they thought that i was going to die or my son or both, it was a very bad delivery. I think that is what triggered my celiac.

That would be a very scary thing! Close pregnancies like that can definately wear you down.

Rachel,

I've breastfed all of mine for 2 3/4 years. I'll be weaning Seth this summer. They all have problems with metals to some extent but the chlorella is handling what Seth has, supposedly anyway. At some point I'll probably have everyone do a hair analysis/urine challenge. With us not doing dairy which is also a minor problem with us, I didn't want to wean him younger. Now, I want to try and start him on calcium supplements. The thing is I haven't had him muscle tested and don't know whether the brand we use will be effecient for him. The other two do well on it though.

My doctor did say I must not have gotten too much of a hit with my crowns done 1 month before pregnancy because I wouldn't have been able to conceive. Anyway, I'm glad we have the "team" of doctors we now do which includes my dentist. My team including him is only 3......Dr. J, Dr E, and Dr M.

AndreaB Contributor
One of our kids needed fillings, so we told the dentist to use white ones ... well, he put in amalgams!! :angry::o

I would have been livid for sure! :angry:

Bad enough the dentist that did my root canal sealed it with amalgam! :angry:

If mercury can be in the soil, then it can conceivably be in soybean crops, and in cattle feed, and in baby formula.

www.lenntech.com/Periodic-chart-elements/Hg-en.htm

I had no idea it could be in mushrooms. Guess I'm going to avoid those from now on!

aprilh Apprentice

What kinds of supplements or other ways does everyone do for liver support?

Anyone ever have pain in the liver area?

mftnchn Explorer

April, I take milk thistle. I was taking lipoic acid as well, but had to stop due to stomach issues and that it gave me more insomnia.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Fiddle-Faddle, if I had it to do over again, I'd still breastfeed. :)

They have found Lyme bacteria in breastmilk ... it is recommended that Lyme mothers do not breastfeed .... so, maybe I wouldn't have, LOL.

aprilh Apprentice

OMG I just tried that Ionic Magnesium and It tastes HORRIBLE!!!

I don't know how to mask it either. YUCK!

ShadowSwallow Newbie

April, for the ionic magnesium I just put it in about 4oz of water and chug it back fast. I figure there's no reason to waste some perfectly good juice on something that yucky. :P

Rachel--24 Collaborator
If mercury can be in the soil, then it can conceivably be in soybean crops, and in cattle feed, and in baby formula.

Its certainly conceivable....but I doubt its an issue. I'd bet that if they tested the formula mercury would not be detected.

On the other hand...its been shown that most of the mercury burden in our bodies comes from dental amalgam. Its also been shown that mercury is excreted through breastmilk...in significant amounts. The amount of mercury found in kids has a direct correlation with the number of amalgams the mother has in her mouth. Alot of amalgams = alot of mercury. My mom had 11.

I was not breastfed....would I have been worse off or would I have been more protected had my mom breastfed. I dont know the answer but since mercury likes to remain in the body....I think it would still have an impact on my health regardless of the benefits I'd have gotten from having been breastfed. I'd be dealing with an even heavier burden of mercury!

I dont doubt that some autistic kids who are breastfed might fare better than those who arent....just as I believe those who are gluten-free/cf will usually fare better than those who arent. I doubt this is the case for every child though....I'm sure that there are some who were breastfed and are still severely autistic. There are also some who do not benefit from going gluten-free/cf.

I think ALL of these kids would be toxic from mercury if they were thoroughly tested.

I would like to see studies of the mercury burden in babies (whos mom's have amalgams) after birth....and then again after having been breastfed. If they havent been given vaccs. with thimerosal...and their mercury burden goes way up....I would see that as good enough reason to not breastfeed my child. Unless of course I'm able to chelate metals and not have that be an issue at all.

I dont see how more mercury in the body can be of any benefit. To me the risks of that far outweigh the benefits of what "good stuff" I'd be giving to my child through breastfeeding. Honestly, I dont think I could be giving my child *anything* good or beneficial from my own breastmilk! :ph34r:

Even if some autistic kids do better being breastfed...its still not "curing" them....they are still autistic...even if to a lesser degree. Same with eliminating gluten....its not curing them...even if symptoms greatly improve on the diet.

I'd rather learn all I can and do whatever I can to protect my child from exposure to things which are linked to autism....and mercury is one of those things. Its not *only* coming from vaccines....some kids who have never been vaccinated still end up on the spectrum.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Having said all that...I REALLY hope that in a couple years I can post that I'm having a baby AND that I'm breastfeeding that baby!!

When I was healthy I always figured I would never breastfeed...because honestly I didnt know the benefits. I was so clueless that I wondered why anyone would WANT to deal with all that hassle when you could easily use formula instead?? :huh:

Now that I've learned so much about the immune system and how health issues develop...I definately WANT to breastfeed. I just dont want to do it while I know that the milk would be very toxic.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

April,

I take T.A.P.S. by Thorne Research. It tests well for me...I was tested for it by 2 different Dr.'s and it tests well both times.

Its one of only a few that contain plant stuff and my body doesnt totally reject it.

It contains:

Milk Thistle extract

Artichoke extract

Turmeric extract

Picrorhiza kurroa extract

mftnchn Explorer

This is all very interesting. I had a lot of amalgams when I breastfed my children. They both have some symptoms but are not that motivated to do anything. I figure since I am homozygous DQ2 they both have a celiac gene too but aren't too open so far to checking. (My daughter has had some blood tests though).

What would be the simplest way to test them for mercury that would be the most likely to show something??? The hair test you all discussed recently? I'd like to encourage them to check.

I've been reading along but busy schedule plus a bit of brain fog (last week was pretty good on that account, thankfully)...it is hard to distill it out.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
What would be the simplest way to test them for mercury that would be the most likely to show something??? The hair test you all discussed recently? I'd like to encourage them to check.

Sherry,

Yes...the hair analysis would be the easiest way to check. You cant look at the mercury levels to determine toxicity though...more than likely nothing will show up. You'd have to look at the essential minerals for clues...as explained in the posts about the hair analysis. I think it was last weekend that I posted it.

aprilh Apprentice

I think its important to keep in mind how our bodies are going IN to pregnancy. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone through some type of Pre-pregnancy protocol that included chelation and mineral building.

If you don't have amalgams I doubt that much mercury is being passed through breastmilk considering it gets stored away so quickly. However, if you do you definately could be leaching and passing that along.

NOt all children do well on commercial formulas. And I read a study somewhere that said commercial formulas are full of pesticides and other added chemicals that you don't want to be passing on.

When my body was so reactive and my sons as well when I was breastfeeding him, i could not figure out what was bothering him. SO, I decided to stop. I couldn't find a formula he did well on. I even bought the most expensive hypo allergenic on the market. The only two bases they sell are dairy and soy. Which IMO should not be given to babies because they are hard to digest. Especially if they have had other food allergy issues.

I finally went to the ND and she gave me a recipe for homemade goat milk formula that he did well on. Much better, but it still could have been causing issues considering when I took him off goat milk recently, 2 years later, he improved.

When she looked at the can of baby formula I brought into the office, the first thing that concerned her about the ingredients was corn syrup solids. He's never done well on corn. I could not find any formula that he didn't react to. They all contained all sorts of allergenic ingredients.

If only I had gone gluten free back then, he probably would have been fine on breastmilk.

I don't have any amalgams either so thats a plus.

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna,

Wow! 2 Pages! My LLMD just told me I needed them and sent me on my way...lol! I must say though, they are getting easier. I don't panic for as long anymore. Actually today I swabbed the area and then just injected it, right away, without panicking, lol.

Today actually I had a weird thing happen, I got a bubble of the medicine that came out of my skin, it was strange. It looked almost like it didn't go in all the way or something...strange. ;)

Ohh, the bubble thing sounds a little weird! Yes, I have two pages of instructions and a third page which is a diagram! :lol:

Donna, my doc had me work up to 10 drops in the morning, and eventually add ten drops in the evening. I didn't have any trouble so went up a drop 2-3 days I think it was, and then ended up with a MAJOR herx. After that I backed off LOL. Went up a drop every week or two.

The samento was very effective for me, so I guess that is why.

Great thanks! I'm not sure if I want to work up too high...I should have had Denise test it yesterday, but forgot to ask.

Anyone ever have pain in the liver area?

I'm not sure where the liver is in my body, but I got pains all over so maybe, lol. My liver came up yesterday in my testing as one of the stressed organs, so I probably SHOULD be taking something. I'm not sure which of my supplements are for the liver anymore though.

I figure there's no reason to waste some perfectly good juice on something that yucky. :P

:lol:

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Everyone,

Well, I just got caught up with my reading. I already have 22 pages typed out in Word. So, for the sake of brevity, am going to have to e-mail some of you my replies. I do not think the forum could handle a post that long! After I e-mail or PM the longest replies, then I will respond to posts from page 1723 onward.

Sincerely,

Jin

Archived