This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

AndreaB Contributor
At work and what not I'm not shy at all, quite the opposite actually. But when it comes to meeting women and expressing feelings in the beginning of a relationship, I am like the shyest guy ever...sucks. Oh well....

That's not such a bad thing you know. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Wow, what is this about flu shots and mercury??? I'll be getting a flu shot on November 13...should I not with mercury coursing through my whole body, lol. :P

Vaccines are a difficult and complicated issue for anyone, but for us, it's even harder. We've got doctors saying that we are more at risk for pneumonia. Some of the vaccines still have mercury, which is obviously a HUGE problem for a lot of us. How do we know just what to believe?

Maybe we should have a vaccine poll on this board? Something along the lines of, "Have you ever had a bad reaction to a vaccine," or "what is your experience with the flu shot," or something like that.

I think that, just as with our normal (?!) gluten issues, anecdotal evidence from people on this board might be both more accurate and more relevant than what the doctors say, and what the studies purport to show. Studies, as we all know, can be skewed and manipulated. And usually are, especially when run by the pharm industry. And many doctors only parrot what they've been taught (which is usually by the pharm industry).

There are people who are very happy with the flu shot. I am not one of them. The three years I did get the flu shot, I got the flu AND other viruses way, way more often than at any other time in my life. I also had rather nasty local reactions (huge hot red swellings at the injection site). I am kicking myself for ever giving my oldest the flu shot (we were told to because he had had heart surgery--but there are no studies to see if kids at risk might actually be adversely affected by the flu shot!).

I think the best advice for avoiding the flu is:

#1) Don't eat out during flu season. Seriously. We don't know the health status of the people preparing our food or handling the silverware. Even if they have good hygiene (and come one, are you really going to trust the personal hygiene of minimum wage-earning total strangers), if they are ABOUT to come down with the flu, they are at the height of contagion before they even have any symptoms--and they are breathing all over the food or coffee that is about to go in our mouths, and handling our silverware. Doesn't make for good odds.

#2) The same goes for indoor kiddie places like Chuckie Cheese and McDonald's PlayPlace--total germ pits! Go to outdoor playgrounds instead--at least there's fresh air there!

#3) Wash your hands. Often. With soap and hot water, NOT purell. Wash your hands when you leave any building, and wash them again the MINUTE you walk into your front door. How many people do you shake hands with every day? How many times do you see someone sneeze or cough into their hand--and then open a door, push an elevator button, or hand you a cup of coffee?

4) If you have a guest powder room, and people (guests, carpenters, whoever) come to your house, install a paper towel holder instead of hanging a couple of common hand towels. Do you really want to dry your hands on the same towel that the plumber used (even assuming he washed his hands)?

dlp252 Apprentice
#2, Something to think about staying away from the Flu Shot, supposedly their is a bunch of Mercury in the shot itself, if you might be sensitive/reacting to Mercury already, I imagine it wouldn't be the best thing to happen.

Yikes! Never knew that. It's been drilled into my head over the last 5 years that I NEED the darned flu shot because my immune system is shot...how irritating that the flu shot might actually be making that worse, lol. :rolleyes:

Well Rach, you can't exactly fight with like 20 angry women...so I guess you'll have to give in.....

Yah! So there! :lol:

gluten + nut bars + bean stew + stupididity = heinosity of the tummy.

:lol: sorry but :lol: you said heinosity! :lol:

At work and what not I'm not shy at all, quite the opposite actually. But when it comes to meeting women and expressing feelings in the beginning of a relationship, I am like the shyest guy ever...sucks. Oh well....

Next time we'll arrange something so you can properly "size me up" :rolleyes::lol:

Same here...fairly shy when meeting ANYONE, but especially men. Makes for a tough time, lol. :lol:

dlp252 Apprentice
Vaccines are a difficult and complicated issue for anyone, but for us, it's even harder. We've got doctors saying that we are more at risk for pneumonia. Some of the vaccines still have mercury, which is obviously a HUGE problem for a lot of us. How do we know just what to believe?

Maybe we should have a vaccine poll on this board? Something along the lines of, "Have you ever had a bad reaction to a vaccine," or "what is your experience with the flu shot," or something like that.

I think that, just as with our normal (?!) gluten issues, anecdotal evidence from people on this board might be both more accurate and more relevant than what the doctors say, and what the studies purport to show. Studies, as we all know, can be skewed and manipulated. And usually are, especially when run by the pharm industry. And many doctors only parrot what they've been taught (which is usually by the pharm industry).

There are people who are very happy with the flu shot. I am not one of them. The three years I did get the flu shot, I got the flu AND other viruses way, way more often than at any other time in my life. I also had rather nasty local reactions (huge hot red swellings at the injection site). I am kicking myself for ever giving my oldest the flu shot (we were told to because he had had heart surgery--but there are no studies to see if kids at risk might actually be adversely affected by the flu shot!).

#1) Don't eat out during flu season. Seriously. We don't know the health status of the people preparing our food or handling the silverware. Even if they have good hygiene (and come one, are you really going to trust the personal hygiene of minimum wage-earning total strangers), if they are ABOUT to come down with the flu, they are at the height of contagion before they even have any symptoms--and they are breathing all over the food or coffee that is about to go in our mouths, and handling our silverware. Doesn't make for good odds.

#2) The same goes for indoor kiddie places like Chuckie Cheese and McDonald's PlayPlace--total germ pits! Go to outdoor playgrounds instead--at least there's fresh air there!

#3) Wash your hands. Often. With soap and hot water, NOT purell. Wash your hands when you leave any building, and wash them again the MINUTE you walk into your front door. How many people do you shake hands with every day? How many times do you see someone sneeze or cough into their hand--and then open a door, push an elevator button, or hand you a cup of coffee?

4) If you have a guest powder room, and people (guests, carpenters, whoever) come to your house, install a paper towel holder instead of hanging a couple of common hand towels. Do you really want to dry your hands on the same towel that the plumber used (even assuming he washed his hands)?

Thanks! I've had the flu shot every year for the past 10 years or so, except for one year when they couldn't get a nurse to come in. I get them free at my job...they have a nurse come in to do anyone in the office that wants one. I've been trying to remember if I've had any bad reactions, and can remember at least one time that I had a really bad reaction...felt horrible for two days afterwards...very achey, run down, exhausted and slighlty flu-ish, but other than that it is hard to tell because I've been so sick the last 5 years, I actually couldn't tell WHAT makes me feel bad unless it's a really strong reaction.

You know, it used to be that I never got sick. I could be sitting right next to someone with a bad cold who was sneezing and coughing and not come down with it...but during the last 5 years all someone has to do it think about sneezing and I catch something...only it's not a cold. I get infections like sinus, ear or some such thing. So, I've become quite a fanatic about washing my hands. I walk around the building here with paper towels in my hands to open the doors, lol...and if I don't carry paper towels I use my sleeves. I've also probably made things worse with my fanaticism...if someone in my department sneezes, as soon as they leave the room I spray it down with Lysol, lol. I use wet-ones to wipe down the handles and such and once they leave the room, I even wipe down their keyboards and phones, lol. But, those chemicals are probably NOT the best thing for me (which is why I started using the wipes, which actually probably don't do much, lol).

Hum, maybe a poll is a good idea, lol.

On an side-mercury note, lol. The doctor suggested I not eat seafood, which I really haven't been for a couple of months. He also said that if I HAVE to eat some (which I don't usually, lol) that I should take selenium with it because selenium binds the mercury...do any of you mercury savvy girls (or guys) have any experience with that. He also suggested eating more eggs for the same reason (I think). I think a few 100 pages back I mentioned my egg thing...when I eat eggs, I get a sick feeling, but I did NOT test positive for allergies (skin scratch) or intolerance (Enterolab)...I'm wondering if it's because the selenium in the egg is binding with the mercury and is making me feel icky.

Rachel--the thing with the ice cream. Your little candida friends may be the culprits for your seemingly insatiable craving for the stuff, lol. :lol:

Mtndog Collaborator
Doctor's orders - Start wearing thongs. Guaranteed you will notice RIGHT AWAY if you put them on backwards!

From what the lady said yesterday she wants to handle the intolerances and what not, and let the other

Ah... thank God- a good laugh first thing in the morning! :P:P:P:P:P

i'm glad Rachel sees it now too! "Bout time. I think it's great that you are taking her to appointments. However before this can proceed any further you must be evaluated in Fresno by the DingoGirl. :D

Rachel- Wow! What an appointment. So much to process but it sounds like there is a PLAN in place and a plan is good!

Just wanted to po in and say hi! Love and hugs to all, B

dlp252 Apprentice

For those interested in the flu shot+mercury thing, I just found this...which has a little info on what to look for in a vaccine and what they consider safe (goes back to how much is too much for someone with toxicity):

Open Original Shared Link

CarlaB Enthusiast

Dave, thanks for the detox info and the well wishes. I've been able to sleep a lot, so at least time is going by quickly through this.

It's been fun watching you e-hitting on Rachel, and her finally catching on! Maybe you're not shy with girls, but prudently cautious ... :rolleyes:

Susan, I'd be bloated and constipated with all that, even if the donuts were gluten-free!!! Eat an avocado and drink a cup of coffee -- not together, that sounds gross, but those two things always help me when c-ed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

Found this on the Palo Alto Medical Group (a parent of the mainstream medical group (not the new clinic) I go to):

"Is thimerosal safe?

Thimerosal, a preservative used in the standard flu vaccine (the classic "flu shot"), is considered to be a safe vaccine component by the CDC (see www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/thimerosal.htm). Nonetheless, thimerosal, which contains a minute amount of mercury, has been phased out of routine childhood vaccines. A California state law effective July 1, 2006 mandates the use of influenza vaccine that has zero or trace amounts of thimerosal in two patient groups:

1) Children under 36 months of age

2) Pregnant women (see "Is a thimerosal-free vaccine available?")."

So looks like I don't fit the appropriate group, lol.

I think I've decided to NOT get the shot, but I'm going to ask the clinic doctors tomorrow and the mercury dentist next week. I've also emailed the person here who is arranging for the nurse to come in to find out if (and I already know it will) the vaccine she uses contains thimerosal.

Green12 Enthusiast

Good morning all!

I am against the flu shot, but that is just my personal stance on it.

For "C" Susie, drinking the juice of half a lemon squeezed in warm/hot water usually works for me, or eating watermelon (high water content) gets things moving.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
i'm glad Rachel sees it now too! "Bout time. I think it's great that you are taking her to appointments. However before this can proceed any further you must be evaluated in Fresno by the DingoGirl. :D

Yes, absolutely, and I would say, let's let the dingos evaluate, but they love everybody too much....esp. boys/men....they are very boy-crazy. :wub:

Julie, I agree with you on flu-shot - I have never had one, and almost never get the flu (but get other exotic conditions :blink: )....

good morning all......I got nothin' this morning, just a quick hello.....the gas-bomb baby is gone now! :P

AndreaB Contributor

Donna,

You're not going to like my post....

According to a Dr. Blaylock article.

A recent study by the world-renowned immunologist Dr. H. Hugh Fudenberg found that adults vaccinated yearly for five years in a row with the flu vaccine had a 10-fold increased risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. He attributes this to the mercury and aluminum in the vaccine. Interestingly, both of these metals have been shown to activate microglia and increase excitotoxicity in the brain.
jerseyangel Proficient

I used to get the flu vaccine and would notice that later on the day that I got the shot, I would get nauseous. I never thought too much about it until I learned that it was cultured in eggs. This made sense to me, as this is the exact reaction that eggs give me!

I no longer get the flu shot.

On a side note, an alternative practioner (Kinesiologist) told me that my health was being affected by (among other factors) old vaccines. He didn't specify which ones, though.

dlp252 Apprentice

Ha, Andrea, I'll take the good, bad and ugly of it all, lol. I think you all have convinced me it's not a good idea. The lady who arranges it is still going to see if she can find out, but I'm certain it will have mercury. I've had those stupid shots for at least 10 years I think... not sure when my office started giving them, but it's been a while for sure...more than 5 definitely.

I wonder if it can be somewhat reversed by the detox process or at least keep it from getting worse?

On a side note, an alternative practioner (Kinesiologist) told me that my health was being affected by (among other factors) old vaccines. He didn't specify which ones, though.

Must look up kinesiologist and bioset!

AndreaB Contributor

Patti,

I personally feel that Mitch's intolerance to eggs being so high is because of all the shots the military mandates.

Dairy was extremely high for him to considering we had been dairy free for 2 months and before that we had dairy for 2-3 months. Lots of shots have gelatin in them......oh, they also have bovine serum, but don't know which ones have it in them. I have tons of stuff I've copied over though.

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti,

I personally feel that Mitch's intolerance to eggs being so high is because of all the shots the military mandates.

Dairy was extremely high for him to considering we had been dairy free for 2 months and before that we had dairy for 2-3 months. Lots of shots have gelatin in them......oh, they also have bovine serum, but don't know which ones have it in them. I have tons of stuff I've copied over though.

Andrea,

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the two were connected.

AndreaB Contributor

Patti,

I scanned a picture of Shadow for you to see. It would seem from Allo's photo that they were pretty similar. :)

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti,

I scanned a picture of Shadow for you to see. It would seem from Allo's photo that they were pretty similar. :)

Shadow--what a pretty kitty :) I do see the resemblance--the white coloring is almost identical! I can see why Allo appeals to you :D

Thanks for sharing Shadow with me :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
when I eat eggs, I get a sick feeling, but I did NOT test positive for allergies (skin scratch) or intolerance (Enterolab)...I'm wondering if it's because the selenium in the egg is binding with the mercury and is making me feel icky.

Donna,

Egg yolks are very high in sulphur....sulphur binds with mercury. This is one of the things I already knew about...I have a major problem with eggs. I thought maybe it was the whites so started eating just yolks...OMG...very bad idea. :blink:

The lady that did the Bioset test told me I need to avoid egg yolks cuz of my sulfur pathway not working....also garlic, onions, etc. I've already been avoiding sulphur foods and sulfites as much as possible because they really mess me up. I think mercury can be a part of it but in my case I cant process the sulphur foods anyway.

I'm pretty sure even foods high in sulphur can "disturb" any mercury that may be sitting in tissue somewhere but its not enough to pull it out of the tissue and chelate it. Those chelators I talked about before....DMPS and DMSA.... I'm pretty sure they are made up of sulphur compounds.

As for the flu shot. I can tell you this much...I've never had one and I rarely get sick...if I do...its a minor cold that lasts 1-3 days. The Bioset lady said my immune system kicks butt when it comes to colds and flus....I'm betting if I got a flushot that would all change. <_<

No flushots for me!!

Simply-V Newbie

I wrote an article about immunizations as we discussed this on my corn forum and a lot of the parents claimed their children got phenominally worse after recieving shots.

Open Original Shared Link

There are a couple links there that may be helpful.

I've never been a big believer in the "Flu Vaccine". I suppose if you're deathly afraid of the flu,, it'd be an option.. but for most of us with heathly (if not overactive) immune systems the flu isn't that big of a deal. Besides the current vaccine for flu only covers the common everyday strain.. not the dangerous bird flu anyway.

I'm not sure I agree with the "don't eat out".. But I do agree with the germ pits at eating places. Those just gross me out. *shivers*

Washing your hands is key. I'm always washing mine, but then I'm a touch peculiar.

Guest baths - hand towels are fine. Just change them often. If you've had guests, change the towel. Wash your towels/sheets on hot.

The big thing to remember, esp for kids, is not to put your hands in your mouth, in your nose, etc. If you've been to questionable places, wash your hands before and after going to the bathroom.

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna,

Egg yolks are very high in sulphur....sulphur binds with mercury. This is one of the things I already knew about...I have a major problem with eggs. I thought maybe it was the whites so started eating just yolks...OMG...very bad idea. :blink:

The lady that did the Bioset test told me I need to avoid egg yolks cuz of my sulfur pathway not working....also garlic, onions, etc. I've already been avoiding sulphur foods and sulfites as much as possible because they really mess me up. I think mercury can be a part of it but in my case I cant process the sulphur foods anyway.

I'm pretty sure even foods high in sulphur can "disturb" any mercury that may be sitting in tissue somewhere but its not enough to pull it out of the tissue and chelate it. Those chelators I talked about before....DMPS and DMSA.... I'm pretty sure they are made up of sulphur compounds.

As for the flu shot. I can tell you this much...I've never had one and I rarely get sick...if I do...its a minor cold that lasts 1-3 days. The Bioset lady said my immune system kicks butt when it comes to colds and flus....I'm betting if I got a flushot that would all change. <_<

No flushots for me!!

Yep, he mentioned garlic and onions too, so it must be the sulfer in those things not selenium. He did say if I eat seafood to take selenium. If I'm remembering correctly from past discussions on this thread, I probably shouldn't been trying too hard to detox from this until all the amalgams are out? Did I remember correctly? Hum, I bet the disturbing of the mercury is what makes me not feel so good, lol.

My first removal is next week--a crown and a filling! :o

I am really interested in the bioset thing though.

Thanks for the link V...going to read now.

happygirl Collaborator

x

AndreaB Contributor

OK. I just ran into my first PROBLEM. :(

Citric acid/citrate is in calcium and multi's. I have the health food store trying to track down whether they can find anything gluten, soy and citrus free in children's vitamins. Doesn't look promising at all. I really don't want to have my daughter go back to dairy.......she didn't test intolerant to it though (didn't have the IgE tested).

AndreaB Contributor

What about calcium carbonate. Would that be safe?

Simply-V Newbie
OK. I just ran into my first PROBLEM. :(

Citric acid/citrate is in calcium and multi's. I have the health food store trying to track down whether they can find anything gluten, soy and citrus free in children's vitamins. Doesn't look promising at all. I really don't want to have my daughter go back to dairy.......she didn't test intolerant to it though (didn't have the IgE tested).

I've heard that Kirkman labs is good at handling allergies & vitamins. They make a calcium powder. Might be worth checking out. www.kirkmanlabs.com

rinne Apprentice

I have missed you all.

This will just be a short post though I have lots and lots to say, briefly though, yes I have Lyme Disease and having been bouncing round happy, happy, happy, LOL because I am going to get well and yes like Rachel says once a Lymie always a Lymie but we don't have to be devoured by it. I am also feeling very smug and because I figured it out. Take that you Lyme bugs, :P .

Love and Blessings, Rinnie

Archived