This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I had to laugh about the part where it says avoid/or reduce all fish and shellfish, unless it is caught, gutted and cooked within 30 minutes! I guess we have to add fish catching/fish gutting/fish cooking to the list, following growing our own produce and milking our own cows.......

:lol:

Julie,

I already got that taken care of several pages back. I said Rachelville will have a lake (stocked with fish)....for fishing and relaxing. :)

I love fishing!! Not too fond of sticking bait on the hooks though and usually someone else has to release my fish from the hook cuz it freaks me out. Its the blood thing again....makes me all woozy and I start feeling like my arms might fall off. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else get like this from the sight of blood? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jenyanderson Newbie

Nope I don't have a problem with blood and guts.. Maybe we could have a person at the lake just for putting bait on hooks and taking fish off. That way you wouldn't have to worry about it!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
"Histamine is an important protein involved in many allergic reactions. Allergies are caused by an immune response to a normally innocuous substance that comes in contact with lymphocytes specific for that substance, or antigen. In many cases, the lymphocyte triggered to respond is a mast cell. For this response to occur, a free-floating IgE (an immunoglobulin associated with allergic response) molecule specific to the antigen must first be attached to cell surface receptors on mast cells. Antigen binding to the mast cell-attached IgE then triggers the mast cell to respond. This response often includes the release of histamine

The release of histamine (hist = because it's made up of histidine residues, amine = because it's a vasoactive amine) causes several allergic symptoms. 1) It contributes to an inflammatory response. 2) It causes constriction of smooth muscle.

Histamine can cause inflammation directly as well as indirectly. Upon release of histamine by an antigen activated mast cell, permeability of vessels near the site is increased. Thus, blood fluids enter the area causing swelling. This is accomplished due to histamine's ability to induce phosphorylation of an intercellular adhesion protein (called (VE)-cadherin) found on vascular endothelial cells. That is why histamine is known as being vasoactive. Gaps between the cells in vascular tissue are created by this phosphorylation, allowing blood fluids to seep out into extracellular space. Indirectly, histamine contributes to inflammation by affecting the functions of other leukocytes in the area. It has been suggested that histamine release triggers the release of cytokines and inflammatory mediator by some neighboring leukocytes. These chemicals in turn increases the inflammatory response. "

Julie,

The symptoms caused by the release of histamines are damn near identical to what I go through constantly. Thats how come I knew I was getting "histamine reactions". All this time I've known I get reactions that match this..but yet no true allergies. Alot of the stuff you read only associates histamine release with IgE "true allergies"....its not true. I never knew until more recently that there was such thing as an actual histamine intolerance.....an actual build-up of histamine that can wreak havoc.

Mainstream allergists are freakin clueless about this stuff too. I've described my reactions lots of times....the same stuff thats written in your post. Do you think any of these people had any idea what I was talking about?? :angry:

I can actually feel the blood vessels expanding during a reaction. I can feel the fluid leaking into my body and literally causing swelling right before my eyes. I can definately feel the tissue swelling cuz thats the most painful. I can feel all the itchiness...creepy/crawly feeling all over my skin and also burning sensations on my face. My eyes get irritated and burn too. How can the doctors...and especially the allergists not have any clue as to what I'm saying. Instead they listen to this and send me to the shrink? :blink:

What the heck is the shrink gonna do for me......its such BS!! :angry:

Uh-Oh...I went off on a tangent again. :ph34r:

When I was at my absolute sickest and seriously thought I was dying (still eating gluten foods) I had this really bad night that I'll never forget. I had been eating some ritz crackers, tuna, toast, stuff like that. I was barely able to go up and down the stairs so was just eating little snacks to keep some food in me. I took some B vitamins....those always made me feel worse. I just felt so bad and looked so unhealthy I didnt know what to do....I was getting close to 90 lbs. I remembered this dentist I had seen had told me if I wanted to get better I'd have to eat only organic veggies, the purest water, organic meats and no fruit w/ the exception of fresh squeezed lemon each morning and night. The lemon juice was suppossed to help w/ digestion or something.

Anyways, I decided to try it that night. When I drank the lemon juice I could immediately feel burning and heat all over my body...everywhere. I was in bed and I could see myself filling up with fluid. It was totally crazy. I could feel my blood pumping and my head getting more and more pressure. I just wanted to fall asleep so I wouldnt have to feel it anymore. The whole night sucked...I had night sweats, burning, tingling, numbness....woke up with my head killing me and my head and body all puffy. I was really scared that night. I could never understand why that happened....I've had plenty of reactions like that but usually have no clue what caused it. That time I knew it was the lemon juice but never knew why. Why would the lemon juice affect me like that? Now I'm pretty sure my histamine levels were probably completely maxed out cuz I was getting sick from everything. Citrus fruits contain histimines so that lemon had a dramatic affect that night. What I felt was pretty much identical to the description of histamine release posted above.

The one thing I cant figure out is why the histamine reactions cause me to lose weight?? :unsure:

The release of histamine (hist = because it's made up of histidine residues, amine = because it's a vasoactive amine) causes several allergic symptoms. 1) It contributes to an inflammatory response. 2) It causes constriction of smooth muscle.

What does constriction of smooth muscle mean exactly? My muscles get affected during a reaction...sometimes they swell and become stiff or tight. Can something like this be happening somewhere inside my intestines? Do we have muscles there? :unsure:

I feel like something happens internally that affects my absorption during reactions. The rest of the time I have no problem maintaining my weight. Remember what happened during my vacation? I lost 10 lbs in less than a week! How crazy is that. My food intake is the same so whats gives? Somethings happening in my intestines during a reation.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I looked up Aspergers

I seriously dont have any of these symptoms

Neither does my son, who does have Asperger's. Where did that :blink: list come from?

(Edit: he does still have problems with eye contact and some social stuff, and he did have most of those problems at age 3, but with lots of work, help, and prayers, he has conquered them.)

(I'm not implying that anyone on this thread HAS Asperger's--I just think that maybe you are on to something that could extend to the Autistic community--what if histamine is part or more than part of the problem there, too?

Green12 Enthusiast

Rachel, check out this link for me and let me know what you think, there's a link at the bottom following the article for the low histimine diet this guy/girl followed.

Open Original Shared Link

I am super excited because this histimine thing might be the answer to my angioedma, but I am finding, like with everything else, there is some contradiction between food lists from website to website.

I will look up about the smooth muscle constriction thing and return in a moment....

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Nope I don't have a problem with blood and guts.. Maybe we could have a person at the lake just for putting bait on hooks and taking fish off. That way you wouldn't have to worry about it!

COOL!!!

Are you up for the job?

The R-Ville Vet will "moonlight" as the baiter/fish remover/fish cleaner/fish gutter person. You will be VERY busy....you will also have to move VERY quickly cuz soon as a fish is caught it needs to be cleaned and gutted asap. We have a deadline now....the fish can only be consumed within 30 minutes or we might get a histamine reaction so its a pretty demanding job.

Are you sure you want it? :D

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Rachel, check out this link for me and let me know what you think, there's a link at the bottom following the article for the low histimine diet this guy/girl followed.

Low Histimine Diet

That's very interesting. The doctor at the emergency room said that I was having a histamine reaction. Maybe that diet will help?

Rachel, do you ever get throat swelling?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

Please help me? :huh:

I dunno how to explain this but this happens maybe 1 or 2 itmes a week, my head gets umm tingly, not all over, but like a band that runs from one ear around the back to the other ear. I think at least, its hard to isolate. I can not figure it out. Dunno what trips it, or stops it or nuting. Be going on for years now...

Any ideas?

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I dunno how to explain this but this happens maybe 1 or 2 itmes a week, my head gets umm tingly, not all over, but like a band that runs from one ear around the back to the other ear. I think at least, its hard to isolate. I can not figure it out. Dunno what trips it, or stops it or nuting. Be going on for years now...
I got that during an allergic reaction.
VydorScope Proficient
I was trying to imagine what you were describing... do you grind your teeth?

No. Its hard to describe its a very weird felling... kind of like umm the pins/needles of an asleep limb, but no as intense, and more generlaize. Sorta? Hmm im kind of at a loss for how to describe it. :(

Rachel--24 Collaborator
That's very interesting. The doctor at the emergency room said that I was having a histamine reaction. Maybe that diet will help?

Rachel, do you ever get throat swelling?

Carrie,

Do you have problems with lots of foods or just the ones you're allergic to? Correct me if I'm wrong but dont you have "true" allergies to wheat and dairy? If you do....you'll always get a histamine reaction if you eat them. I dont think you can prevent it....I dont know if limiting all histime foods might "lessen" a reaction for you the next time. Hopefully there wont be a next time but it cant hurt to try the diet.

I dont have any true allergies like you have with the wheat...I never experienced that closing of the throat feeling.

VydorScope Proficient
I got that during an allergic reaction.

There appears to be no connection to an alergic reaction that I can think of at least.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Vincent I'm not sure what you're describing but I get pins/needles and sort of a feeling of a band tightening around my head....like right above my ears and near my temples....it goes all the way around. It feels like pressure. In my case there is also swelling...not visible to anyone else though. I can just feel it.

VydorScope Proficient
During this time does your vision change in any way?

Hmm... I cant say no to that. It does become much harder to focus (err harder then normal at least... I always have focus issues) I think *sometimes* I gets ummm dots? static? or somthing like that in my vision.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for explaining Rachel. I was just hoping that may help. My most recent food allergy test (blood test) only tested positive for milk allergy, but I have tested positive to wheat and yeast allergy on a skin prick test. I just got all my results from the past faxed to me this week from my doctors office. It seems as though I reacted to dairy, but I have to have more testing done to make sure. Do you know if people can get histamine reactions to environmental things like dust, mold, and animal hair?

Green12 Enthusiast

Well, that was fun! I toook a lot of anatomy and physiology courses in college, but when I do a search for medical issues and the journals and studies come up, that stuff just goes over my head

:lol::lol:

So, yes, there are smooth muscles in the intestinal tract, smooth muscles are found within in the walls of all the hollow organs like the lungs, blood vessels, bladder, uterus, GI tract....the smooth muscles allow for the contractility of these organs.

Most everything that came up for constriction of the smooth muscle had to do with asthma, pulmonary stuff, lungs, etc., but not so much that I could find on intestinal smooth muscle constriction.

This would be a great question to ask your functional med. doc, maybe, if histimine release triggers constriction of the smooth muscle in the intestinal tract, something like that.

As for you losing weight, I am thinking that is just your body. You probably have always had a really fast metabolism, and then the stuff you did with your thyroid and graves, you will probably always have the tendency to lose weight or to be underweight when not balanced.

I on the other hand go in the other direction :lol:

Hi Carriefaith, welcome to this wild and crazy thread. :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Hi Carriefaith, welcome to this wild and crazy thread.
I think this is the longest thread yet B)

I just kind of jumped in.

VydorScope Proficient
HA.... migraine.... even though you don't feel the pain the vessels in your brain could be doing the same thing.... what causes migraines? If I knew I'd be a millionair and pain free :lol:

Just a thought, you might do some research.

Ive tried, but I dunno how to look.. how do you find somthign you cant descirbe? Thats like when the dopey teachers told me to look up a word in the dictionary to find out how to spell it ! :rolleyes:

It never hurts. My wifey gets migrans and they cripple here with pain.

Green12 Enthusiast
Do you know if people can get histamine reactions to environmental things like dust, mold, and animal hair?

Yes, at least this is what I read that it can be from environmental (dust, pollen), chemicals, and foods.

I think I remember your food list the day you had a reaction, lots of corn chips, salsa, lara bars. For starters the tomato base in the salsa could be problematic, if you are talking about histimine release, also the lara bars with the dried fruit and the nuts.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Yes, at least this is what I read that it can be from environmental (dust, pollen), chemicals, and foods.

I think I remember your food list the day you had a reaction, lotsof corn chips, salsa, lara bars. For starters the tomato base in the salsa could be problematic, if you are talking about histimine release, also the lara bars with the dried fruit and the nuts.

Thanks. Do you think environmental reactions can cause throat swelling? Or is it just foods that cause that? Sorry for all the questions, but I can't seem to find answers. The corn chips I ate were contaminated with dairy. I will have to watch tomatoes and nuts too.
Rachel--24 Collaborator

Julie,

I came across that the other day but didnt really pay attention cuz it didnt have a food list or anything. It only listed some supplements but I cant take those right now. Where are you seeing her diet? Am I missing it?

Its brings hope for sure....she got better in only a couple weeks.

The lists I've seen for low histamine seem fairly similar. I kind of know which stuff messes me up. There isnt anything on the lists that I would feel safe eating. Theres also other stuff I need to avoid for my own reasons...stuff like quinoa or Auxigro ridden produce or whatever other stuff bothers me. Honestly if someone asked me a couple weeks back what fruits I can eat for sure...I would have said pears, mangos and some apples. If someone asked which fruits mess me up the most...I would have said bananas, avocados and pineapple.

I dont think its a "coincidence" that pears and mangos are allowed on a histamine restricted diet and pineapple, bananas and avocados are worst offenders. I'm really really thinking I'm onto something big with the histamines. It shouldnt take all that long for us to see if we are benefiting from taking these foods out. Oh...also fish...I stopped eating fish a few months back cuz I started noticing symptoms. Its funny how the stricter you get the more some foods become obvious trouble makers. By now most of what is on these lists I've already recognized as being problematic.

I'm excited about this too. :D

rinne Apprentice
..... the update so far is my tummy seems to be moving around, not too much but more then the last couple of days... this is a good thing cuz I have the "C" and I have the pain from front to back and all around my rib cage....

Celia, I have pain like that, it feels like claws around my rib cage getting tighter and tighter. I've gone from a 36DD to a 32D since Christmas and I'm really glad because wearing a bra is just awful sometimes. I have been connecting this pain to the Ankylosing Spondylitis, apparently it is very common that women with this arthritis find bras difficult to wear.

Vincent, I have had a sensation similar to the one you describe, it is like an icy-hot tingling in a clear band at the back of my head. I don't have it so often but next time I will pay more attention to it.

Rachel, I know I don't have the same reactions that you do but in looking at the information you posted I have to wonder. For over 30 years when I had my blood pressure taken it was completely normal but when I went in for a biopsy not long ago and they took it the nurse said it was low. :( I just went back and looked at the list and realized there is more than just that on that list that relates to me.

My sense of losing weight is that heat melts and inflammation is fire and we are the material on fire.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Do you know if people can get histamine reactions to environmental things like dust, mold, and animal hair?

Carrie,

You can get histamine reactions to any allergen or irritant. Anything the immune system sees as "foreign" or "bad" can trigger a release of histmaine.

jerseyangel Proficient

Rachel--To see the diet, click on the picture of the food at the bottom center of the page. Incidendly, this is the exact kind of diet I follow based on what does not make me sick.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
COOL!!!

Are you up for the job?

The R-Ville Vet will "moonlight" as the baiter/fish remover/fish cleaner/fish gutter person. You will be VERY busy....you will also have to move VERY quickly cuz soon as a fish is caught it needs to be cleaned and gutted asap. We have a deadline now....the fish can only be consumed within 30 minutes or we might get a histamine reaction so its a pretty demanding job.

Are you sure you want it? :D

I hope she considers this carefully as she will be in charge of ALL geese, dingos, livestock, all the pets, the horses, everything....wait I forgot - - time runs differently in R-ville and of COURSE she will be able to get all of th is done! :rolleyes:

Archived