This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

mftnchn Explorer
I guess now I know why I reacted so heinously to chlorella. :blink:

I cant tolerate those foods or supplements...only in very tiny amounts (if at all). I cant even take bromelain or papain enzymes. The only one I can eat on that list is the peas. Yup....I've eaten PLENTY of those. (I would like to insert the pukey face green guy here :P )

I just can't figure out whether this is an issue for me or not. I do fine on some things on those lists and not on others. The beans I just reacted to are on the list, but I eat a lot of the other things with never a problem. I can take the following: NAC, chlorella, glutathione (IV tested ok but no other form), MSM, certain probiotics--so like 1/2 the list. I can't take some of the things supposed to help, DMG, most B vitamins. Some things on the list I haven't tried specifically though.

Have you come across anything in your reading about another pathway that may partially intersect with the sulfur pathway? I've been trying to search for stuff but am not finding too much to connect to yet.

Sherry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
debmidge Rising Star

Hi Rachel: Haven't spoken to you in a while. Thanks for the sulphur list. I "look" at the posts on this thread and don't have much to add; however, I have sulphite allergy and your list was interesting. Wine is a sulfite aggravator for me....I know when wine has a lot of sulfite in it as I lose my voice from it. I also wonder if herb teas (which give me immediate gut reaction) have sulfite in them (preservative) and that's why I get abdominal cramping and diarrhea from herb tea.....

As far as I know, I don't have the immune system issues you guys do but I do try to read the thread just to learn something new.

Take care,

Debbie

P.S. Drugs with sulfa: some pain meds (non-steroidals) and I think Plavix (anti-clotting drug which usually older people take)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Andrea...I'm sorry to hear about Mitch's accident. :(

I'm glad he's safe though...thats the main thing. :)

I must have been skimming too much .... I had to go back and look for Andrea's post on this. I'm glad he's okay .... and the other people involved are too.

I hope he gets a bigger truck soon.

Green12 Enthusiast
I think when enzymes are inhibited we present with many symptoms of food/chemical intolerance but these are not "allergies"...its more of a metabolic problem....an inabilty to metabolise things which eventually build up and cause reaction.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I dont think certain groups of foods would cause inflammatory reactions or release of chemicals from the mast cells.....without some underlying problem.

I know you didnt ask for my personal opinion but I guess I got carried away in my thoughts. What else is new. :ph34r:

I'm still trying to bury my head in scientificness. :lol:

Rachel, I totally appreciate your personal opinion. Thanks for your input on this.

When I saw that thread about Mast Cell Inflammatory/mastocytic Enterocolitis Disease it really caught my attention.

From what I understand there are two types of angioedema:

One form is mast cell related and causes include:

Immunoglobulin E

Green12 Enthusiast
I must have been skimming too much .... I had to go back and look for Andrea's post on this.

I apologize Andrea, I missed your post too.

I know that was such a scary thing for you all and so stressful.

I hope things at work get back to normal for Mitch soon :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I just can't figure out whether this is an issue for me or not. I do fine on some things on those lists and not on others. The beans I just reacted to are on the list, but I eat a lot of the other things with never a problem. I can take the following: NAC, chlorella, glutathione (IV tested ok but no other form), MSM, certain probiotics--so like 1/2 the list. I can't take some of the things supposed to help, DMG, most B vitamins. Some things on the list I haven't tried specifically though.

Have you come across anything in your reading about another pathway that may partially intersect with the sulfur pathway? I've been trying to search for stuff but am not finding too much to connect to yet.

Sherry

Does your tolerance change from time to time? Like sometimes you're doing ok with one of these foods or supplements and then you're having problems? Or is it pretty consistent as far as what you can handle and what you cant?

Every person has a different tolerance level and symptoms occur when the load gets too high. Also, if something else you do or take puts a heavier burden on an enzyme (that might be already weak) you could start to notice problems.

For example aspirin, spices, food coloring and other high phenol substances will inhibit the PST and sulfation pathway. If its already faulty these things would weaken it furthur...it can worsen a persons ability to handle other things in the body...including neurotransmitters and hormones. The greater the demand on an already weakened enzyme system the more difficult it is to detoxify and things will probably snowball.

The two pathways most often involved are the sulfation and the methylation pathways. A person can have a problem with one or both pathways. I dont know if I have a problem with methylation....I've mostly been focusing on sulfation because that problem seems very obvious and has also shown up in BioSET and ART. We did not check methylation with ART though.

You could start looking into the methylation pathway and see if it fits.

If you can handle aspirin, fruits and vegetables, spices, preservatives and other food chemicals you most likely dont have a problem with PST. If you can handle sulfites or the high sulfur foods (garlic, onions, etc) then you probably dont have much of a problem with the sulfur oxidase enzyme. Maybe you have less of a problem with PST/sulfation and more of a problem with methylation?

Heres some info on all of the pathways.

Phase II detoxification typically involves conjugation in which various enzymes in the liver attach small chemicals to the toxin. This conjugation reaction either neutralizes the toxin or makes the toxin more easily excreted through the urine or bile. Phase II enzymes act on some toxins directly, while others must first be activated by the phase I enzymes. There are essentially six phase II detoxification pathways:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Heres more info. about methylation...

The methylation cycle is the ideal pathway to focus on for nutrigenomic analysis and supplementation. The function of this pathway is essential for a number of critical reactions in the body.

Consequences of genetic weaknesses (mutations) in this pathway are increased risk factors leading to a number of serious health conditions. Defects in methylation lay the appropriate groundwork for the further assault of environmental and infectious agents resulting in a wide range of conditions including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, thyroid dysfunction, neurological inflammation, diabetes, chronic viral infection, neurotransmitter imbalances, atherosclerosis, cancer, aging, schizophrenia, decreased repair of tissue damage, improper immune function, neural tube defects, Down

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

This page is less scientific...its easier on the eyes. :)

Methylation and sulfation are required for many of the systems and processes we all need daily, and are the same systems that are impaired with ASDs. Understanding the basics can help us piece together what systems are not functioning well, why, and how to support them. These processes include:

* Detoxification

* Heavy metal elimination

* Digestion

* Immune function

* Cellular/metabolic function

* Gut integrity

* Microbial balance

By understanding these complex chemical processes, we can begin to better troubleshoot and address why certain reactions may be occurring and which nutrients to supplement. In addition to adding nutrients that are vital to these biochemical cascades, we also want to address and remove toxins that overburden the systems, such as offending foods, environmental chemicals, and microorganisms that create toxins.

So what causes faulty sulfation?

While there is no single answer to this because of bioindividuality and the need for more research, genetics appears to play a role as we see many common disorders running in families. Additionally, mercury and other heavy metals appear to damage this cascade.

Open Original Shared Link

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hi Rachel: Haven't spoken to you in a while. Thanks for the sulphur list. I "look" at the posts on this thread and don't have much to add; however, I have sulphite allergy and your list was interesting. Wine is a sulfite aggravator for me....I know when wine has a lot of sulfite in it as I lose my voice from it. I also wonder if herb teas (which give me immediate gut reaction) have sulfite in them (preservative) and that's why I get abdominal cramping and diarrhea from herb tea.....

As far as I know, I don't have the immune system issues you guys do but I do try to read the thread just to learn something new.

Take care,

Debbie

P.S. Drugs with sulfa: some pain meds (non-steroidals) and I think Plavix (anti-clotting drug which usually older people take)

Hi Deb! :)

Its nice to "see" you. I actually remembered that you have reactions to wine with high sulfites. I recall you mentioning it on a couple threads way back.

There is sulfa in alot of things we ingest...but not always in high enough amounts to trigger a reaction. It depends on the persons tolerance. One of my Dr.'s said that he frequently gets emails from various dairy companies warning that his sensitive patients should avoid "such and such" product for a couple weeks due to high sulfa content. This is from sulfa antibiotics used...it ends up in the meat and dairy products.

We get plenty of sulfa in our diets and its not a good thing according to the Dr.'s. Apparantly the residuals remain in tissue and can interfere with normal sulfur metabolism....which then inhibits detoxification of heavy metals. :(

I pretty much stick to organic stuff now.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Everyone,

I have missed writing to you all so much! Something odd happened where the forum would not let me go past 1844 the other week, and I got very behind. I am not on the top of page 1857 and hope to be caught up with reading soon. I am so glad to see the new faces, as well as Rinne, Judy, Patti, and some others returning! Everything is going on, and so I am trying desperately to seek balance.

My hair is still black underneath and some on the sides. The top is brown with blonde streaks. I am nervous about getting my hair done in time for my best friend's wedding late this month. I am not sure it will be the way I want it by then. Health issues certainly interfere with this.

Does anyone else react to gluten-free brownies? I think it is the sorghum flour. I had the worst acid reflux at three this morning! Plus, my colon is cramping. I spoke to a woman who works for Schnuck's who is Celiac, and she has had a lot of trouble I have had while trying to heal. She said the first year and a half to two years is pretty rough. This lady has been officially diagnosed for more than 20 years.

My juicer arrived a while back. I am trying to figure out how to get that little screen part to stay put. It cannot be used without it! Then, I will finally get to play with it! Juicing would be a great way to get some nutrition. I do not think I am absorbing anything right now.

Dad got me a gluten-free, yeast-free, starch-free liquid vitamin. It made my stool really strong, and I think it is the herbal extracts in it, particularly the GSE. Not only is it a yeast-killer, but it is a cyst buster for Lyme. It may have caused a die-off reaction. I did have more energy, though.

I also was busy applying for that gluten-free writer position on About.com. It really is a perfect job! Keep your fingers crossed for me! That money would really help get me some medical testing and treatment! I do not want to give my hopes up for fear of disappointment, but I am excited and nervous about it.

In other news, my blood sugar runs low. It was only 71 two hours after eating half a box of Crunch'N Munch. Dad found out he is diabetic, so we used his meter to check my glucose. Now, he is telling me that 71 is normal, but why do I feel so weird all over? My blood pressure tends to run low as well. I see my doctor April 10th for my physical. Maybe she can shed some light on this situation. I also plan to get the orders for the IgeniX blood work then.

I plan on posting my column soon. Due to so many new members, I may have to pick and choose on what I reply to. There is so much I want to say, but not enough space for it! We have grown! I have a lot of notes to look through and decide what to reply to and what not to.

Sincerely,

Jin

tabasco32 Apprentice

Oh Jin

So glad to here from you! yes I will pray and keep my fingers crossed about the new work position.

Crunch N Munch? Wouldn't that be bad for any of us?

I am going to see Dr. M. on Monday. Another l.e.d another trip in the back seat. -_-

Green12 Enthusiast
Dear Everyone,

Does anyone else react to gluten-free brownies? I think it is the sorghum flour. I had the worst acid reflux at three this morning!

Hi Jin, you finally made it :)

Just a word on heartburn, the last 2 years or so I had developed a really bad case of heartburn/acid reflux and it got so bad I got the esophogial spasms. Since I have been taking charcoal regularly it has totally gone away.

I would react to even the smallest amounts of my trigger foods, tomato products, spicy foods, bell peppers, chocolate, even dairy, and now I can eat these foods with no problems. I don't have heart burn, or acid reflux, or any spasms in my esophogus.

Mold Lady had posted in the Candida thread about the connection between yeast/fungus and heartburn and that got me thinking. I think the charcoal binds to some of those toxins the yeast and fungus are kicking out and pulls them out so they can't back up in the digestive tract and irritate the tissues. Just a thought.

Also about the chocolate brownies, I don't know what brand you ate but some brands are really strong chocolate wise and therefore contain a lot of caffeine, it could be why you are experiencing cramping it has a laxative effect.

confusedks Enthusiast
Crunch N Munch? Wouldn't that be bad for any of us?

I was thinking the same thing! LOL! :lol:

Green12 Enthusiast
I am going to see Dr. M. on Monday. Another l.e.d another trip in the back seat. -_-

Hope you have a good appt Monday Lisa, good luck with the LED treatment.

aprilh Apprentice

Hi all,

Sherry,

How many mg do you take of the Naitokkinase?

I have been having pain in my gallbladder area. This comes on after I have been feeling pretty good. If its not one thing its another.

I think this scientificness has a lot to do with my situation. I wish I could grasp it better.

April

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Lisa,

You are right. Crunch'N Munch is bad for all of us! :lol: I have not had it since. All of the sugar and chemicals is terrible! Why does everything that is so tasty have to be so bad for us? :( I suppose we will just have to add that to the great mysteries of life list!

Thank you for your good thoughts on the job! I really want it. This would be ideal. Plus, it is very doable. It also gives me a great excuse to buy some newer foods.

Good luck with your next LED appointment and trip! What are you getting treated for this time? I know you cannot do the epsom salt baths yet. I am not sure if I should do them, because I do not know if my body is having sulfur issues. I think it probably is.

Dear Julie,

Charcoal was suggested before by my former PCP. He thought it would help with the gas and nausea.

I tried activated charcoal in the past, but it did not seem to do a lot. However, maybe I was not absorbing it. The powdered form might work. You all were discussing that just the other day. Could you provide that link on charcoal again?

I know Candida is notorious for causing reflux. Still, the extra caffeine in the chocolate is a possibility, too. Or, it could be something in the Smart Balance Light or the sorghum flour itself. It is Bob's Red Mill mix. My stomach may be cramping due to the high fiber content. I am not exactly used to that much fiber!

As you said, the reflux was terrible. I take Prilosec twice daily, so that was scary! I will not allow myself anymore of those brownies. I have eaten like four a day since I made them, too. :ph34r: Can you say stupid? :blink: Even worse, if I fart, my butt burns! This cannot be good.

Dear Kassandra,

You are totally right! I had no business eating Crunch'N Munch! I am not allowed to eat it anymore.

Dad is diabetic, so he probably will not buy it at all now. He has gotten low-carb ice cream, low-carb bread, low-carb salad dressing, you name it! His new medication really has helped!

Dear April,

I know what you mean! If one thing is good, something else goes wrong with your body! This is so frustrating! My gallbladder was removed nearly five years ago, but I still get pain there. I worry something is wrong. Watching my fat intake does help, though.

Sincerely,

Jin

Green12 Enthusiast
I have been having pain in my gallbladder area. This comes on after I have been feeling pretty good. If its not one thing its another.

I think this scientificness has a lot to do with my situation. I wish I could grasp it better.

Hi April,

I wish I could grasp it better too.

Sorry about your little setback with the galbladder pain :(

Good news folks, I misunderstood about the ASI (Adrenal Stress Index- Cortisol/DHEA) being a spit test.

It is a saliva test but you just soak the cotton roll under your tongue until it is saturated (about 3-5 minutes) and pop it back into the vial, so it's easy breezy.

I was dreading gathering all that saliva into the vials, especially after Rachel posted it was very challenging.

aprilh Apprentice

Julie,

Yes, I remember that test. It was pretty easy. Probably the easiest one yet!

I hope this test gives you some answers.

April

AndreaB Contributor

Hi Jin! Welcome Back! My hubby doesn't do well with sorghum flour so that is a possibility.

Rachel and Kassandra,

That conference does sound good......Kassandra, you'll have to let us know about it if you do indeed go.

Julie,

I forget what I wanted to comment on........

I am glad to hear that the ASI test is easy though, although cotton balls don't exactly taste good. :P

Lisa,

Hope you appointment goes well. Not fun riding in the back seat but definately worth it.

AndreaB Contributor
Also it just seems like food allergies are majorly on the rise.

Yes, they are on the rise. I believe it's the constant bombardment of toxins, excluding pregnancy and what the mother has as far as toxins, the vaccines starting real young as well.

Sherry,

I'm glad Dr E got back to you. It is nice to know that they tested safe for you, but yes, it isn't really the complete answer is it?

Nyxie63 Apprentice

Hey Gang!

Haven't been around in awhile. Just wanted to let you know I have an appt with Lauren/Dr H tomorrow. Will post when I get back.

Found out that hubby has training tomorrow instead of a day off, so I'm going by myself. Sucks, but there's nobody to go with me. Well, there's one person who "could", but they have a very high annoyance factor. Don't know if it's worth asking them or not. Constant irritation vs. help with driving. I don't want to spend the night in a hotel room (we can't really spare the money right now), so the annoyance factor might be worth it. *sigh*

AndreaB Contributor

Nyxie,

That's a tough one. With the amount of driving though, that could be real tiring for you. Maybe it is worth the annoyance factor. That's too bad about hubby having to go to training. :(

I'll be looking forward to your appointment update when you're able to post about it.

Nyxie63 Apprentice

Thanks Andrea.

I decided to take a deep breath and bite the bullet. I'd rather have help available if I need it rather than be stuck somewhere, too tired to keep driving.

confusedks Enthusiast
I decided to take a deep breath and bite the bullet. I'd rather have help available if I need it rather than be stuck somewhere, too tired to keep driving.

I hope it goes well!

I actually asked my mom to not go into the room with me for my appt later today because I have decided I need to be able to have my appt with him and not be worried about what my mom thinks when I say something personal. (She's not very happy, but there is a reason for patient/dr confidentiality). ;)

ShadowSwallow Newbie

Hey Everyone,

I'm just following along now... laying low. :) About a week ago I went to the naturopath, and we did some muscle testing about my liver detoxification (she didn't know anything about the information I brought to her *sigh* <_<). Apparently my sulfitization pathway is fine, along with the Phase I detoxification, but most of the pathways for Phase II are messed up. I've begun using a very small amount of a supplement that's supposed to support liver function (a lot of Bs... need to be careful there) and it's helpful with the hives, but the day after I take it I feel "wired", my typical reaction to Bs. :rolleyes:

I'm also having problems with nausea. :pukeygreenface: And I'm going to be calling my LLMD tomorrow about getting something for that.

Andrea, I'm sorry about Mitch's accident! I hope he gets a large truck soon.

Nyxie and Kassandra, I can't wait to hear about your appointments.

Jin! :wub:

:wub: :wub:

Birdy

Archived