This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Calicat Newbie

Wow, there sure is a lot to catch up on! Might have to do it in installments, I'm way behind. :)

Also when things get complicated I really pray and ask for some guidance (which I've never done in my life) and I swear....everytime I've reached a low point something happens to lead me more into the right direction. Its really been an amazing journey.

I had meant to write something about this when I saw it the first time, but seeing it again in Julie's post...it just really resonates. I've had this experience too, and I'm not religious. Somehow whenever I reach a real breaking point and ask for help, something presents itself. It's pretty amazing, actually. :)

Hi Calicat--Just an additional thought--have you ever been tested for allergies? I was wondering because your symptoms are so intense. Of course, it could be related to MSG or other foods or additives, but just to rule out an allergic reaction. The physical reactions you describe must be so frightening! I hope you can sort through them and figure out a pattern :) Also, on a side note, Tropicana does not produce all of their Pure Premium at a gluten-free facility--some of their factories are shared. I stopped using it last year when I found out about that.

Jersey,

Thank you for your kind words :) It's amazing how much that helps. The OJ-gluten connection was a real shocker for me.I had no idea that there might be gluten involved :blink: I was planning to avoid orange juice for the forseeable future after that episode anyway, but now there's even more reason.

I have been tested for allergies, but for some reason, the blood work didn't really correlate for me. It said I was allergic to literally almost every food, except soy and about 4 other things. Despite the resluts, I am however, highly allergic to soy. I've been to the ER 4 times for it, and started to go into anaphylactic (sp?) shock on more than one occasion. Thanks for asking though. I've actually been wondering recently whether I shouldn't be retested, but I think first I'm just going to go super-pure and also follow the MSG guidelines and not add anything that I think could pose any sort of problem for a good, long time. <_< Hopefully that'll resolve it.

I foget who mentioned this specifically, but I think a few of you mentioned smelling a certain way after a bad reaction, sort of a sweet-ish smell? I just read that MSG "has no distinct flavor, although some describe it as salty/sweet." I don't know if that means anything, but maybe the smell has to do with your body trying to detox from it? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Calicat Newbie
My problem is I have so much ingrained in my head from all of the healthcare professionals I have ever seen, and books that I have read, on what to/not to eat and what to/not to do. I am trying so hard to let all that go and start with a clean slate. I have cleared out so much of my diet already that it is pretty much down to very few things, and then I get new information and there is a whole new list of restrictions that takes out even more things. I think about the allergy tests I have the results for and the different safe/unsafe lists (gluten, corn, msg) and I juggle all of that in my mind. At this point I am overwhelmed about deciding what to eat that I just concentrate on the gluten free for now and eat whatever, but so far it's getting me in trouble.

Something I ate yesterday kicked my butt (my puffy butt at that :) last night and today.

I'm still not sure on where gluten falls in with all of this for me. I felt sicker after what I ate yesterday than the 6 days combined of eating gluten. I definitely can not eat just a normal gluten-free diet, I would be bed ridden if I continued to eat all of these products.

Julie,

I'm so sorry that you're still going through so much! :( You're always so dear, and your posts have made me feel so much more understood, and well, sane :P I wish that I could cast a magic spell and make you feel better!

I think Rachel said that she can't tolerate Enjoy Life Foods products or Pamela's, and I get bad reactions from them both as well, so maybe that was part of what caused your reactions.

I've had trouble in the past with really bad nightmares that always seemed related to what I ate. I did track down one of the culprits that was causing me problems. It probably sounds strange, <_< but often if I eat potato at night (doesn't happen if I eat it earlier in the day, for some reason), I get really vivid nightmares where I kind of wake up with a jolt and it takes a while to realize that it's just a dream. Don't know if that helps at all...

Rachel,

Thanks for helping me try to figure it out, and for being so kind. :) I do get some inflammation that stretches across my chest and under my arms, although it isn't as bad there now as it used to be, or as bad as in some other places. I'm pretty sure that's where those glands are though, because it even hurts me to shave when they're swollen, so maybe that's what yuo're feeling.

Me too, Julie--exactly! What do they say about a "little knowledge being a dangerous thing"?! :D But I do know what you mean. Also, I think that there are those of us that for some reason, maybe damage from gluten or some other unknown reason, really can't just take the gluten out of our diets. If I continued to do that, I would be sicker than I was before! It has to be a combination of the 2 for me--and it looks like for you, too. :angry: Right now, I'm eating absolutely no packaged food (except chips--potato, oil and salt only) and am feeling pretty good. I'm sure that you've tried that, too. Boring, but effective!

It is amazing what happened when I cut rice, and then grains out. Night and day.

Julie, Rachel, Dlp, Jersey, and Andrea,

I totally agree with what you all said about trying to make sense of the conflicting lists, safe/unsafe foods, common allergens, advice from the 'pros'. It gets to a point where you can't figure what in the world you should eat and which lists/theories to follow. I'm like you are too, once I get committed to a structured plan, I'm fine, but when I'm trying to make sense of it all I jump back and forth between theories and end up getting so confused and overwhelmed that it just seems impossible.

The great thing to know though is that most of us seem to have some idea of what we were eating when we felt best. I know it was extremely limited, but maybe if we can get back to that base point and then choose one additional thing to address, it'll be easier? That's my plan anyway, the foods that i already know from expereince are "safe" for me + msg/corn considerations.

Also, Jersey and Julie, when I just took gluten out of my diet, I was completely bed ridden and got so much sicker than I had been before, to the point where even my mom was scared that I might not make it. I think at least the three of us agree that for us, there's something even more harmful than gluten. Now if we can just figure out what it is?! :blink::) I think we're getting close.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Ohh Rachel... I do believe your MSG thing was right on! Remember when I was trying to pound down tons of ice cream to gain weight? Well from what I read all (if there is one out there that doesn't have it please let me know) all ice cream has hidden MSG.... at first I thought it was the lactose...not it... then I thought it was the casiean (sp).... not it..... I'm okay with organic milk but NOT with ice cream so all that time I thought I was doing myself a favor instead I was poisoning myself more.... had you not posted about the MSG I would have been in much trouble!

Floridian,

I'm pretty sure all the ice cream has msg in it. Thats what I read too. :(

Maybe later when you're feeling alot better you can try one that doesnt have any of the "bad" or suspicious ingredients in it. I know alot of people make their own so thats always an option too. I couldnt imagine not having ice-cream again.

I'm also impressed with how quickly you're learning and adjusting to you're new diet. You seem very enthusiastic and determined....its very refreshing. I'm proud of you and of anyone who can accept the challanges they've been faced with and make the best of it. Even though everyone on this message board has had to give up most of their favorite foods to stay healthy...there are far worse things that can happen in life. Thats how I see it anyway...we can always turn a negative into a positive. You're a perfect example and now you've discovered you LIKE brown rice.... :)

I foget who mentioned this specifically, but I think a few of you mentioned smelling a certain way after a bad reaction, sort of a sweet-ish smell? I just read that MSG "has no distinct flavor, although some describe it as salty/sweet." I don't know if that means anything, but maybe the smell has to do with your body trying to detox from it? :huh:

Yeah...thats what I was thinking as well. Its such a strange smell...I can really notice it on my hands when I wake up. I only notice the smell in the morning and only after a bad reaction when I'm puffy everywhere. I believe its some kind of toxin my body's getting rid of. Everyone detoxes in different ways....some people may get really bad "d" but for me I seem to really detox through my skin.

What do you guys think? Does Dr. Blaylock's book sound like a better purchase??

I've seen his book metioned quite a bit while I was poking around on the msg site. It seems like it would be a good book. I'm thinking it would probably be more informative than her book in some ways. It probably depends on what you're looking for. I would imagine his book would be more in depth and scientific like the book Dangerous Grains. I enjoyed reading D.G. so I'd probably like Dr. Blaylocks book too. I like the scientific stuff and I like to have a full explanation of things. I probably would also like her book because it has recipes and lists of problematic foods/ingredients (although much of that can probably be found on the site). Hmmm...I havent ordered her book yet but I probably still will. Maybe I'll wait until someone gets theirs....if theres not much in the book I probably wont buy it....I love to read so if it has stories or some substance to it...I'll want to read it.

AndreaB Contributor
dlp,

If you are looking for in-depth MSG info, this is NOT the book to buy. Dr Blaylock's book "excitotoxins, the taste that kills" is THE BOOK to buy; this book is a grade school child's essay of Dr Blaylocks book, which clearly states that MSG will not harm you *unless* you are vitamin/mineral (nutrient) deficient. In other words, MSG affects people based on how nutrient rich/poor their diet is. (There are other factors - like age and general health, but nutrient deficiency is the *MAIN* culprit).

Once you discover what vitamins/minerals are needed to block MSG (and ensure health) and other such exitotoxins from the brain, it becomes simple to either buy supplements *OR* drink OJ, eat a few almonds & baby carrots/red peppers sticks, etc... every day. This MSG Myth book is just a diversion from the The Real Info. The real info is SIMPLE & HELPFUL, this book is a diversion in a diversion in a diversion.

If you want to be free of toxins and still be able to eat some goodies, read & study Dr. Blaylock's book.

What do you guys think? Does Dr. Blaylock's book sound like a better purchase??

Excitotoxins is a good book. I never got more than halfway through it, but the first half was very informative. I really like Dr. Blaylocks work. We just got another book of his "health and nutritional secrets...". Another good one.

I caught up!! :D

My 6 month old will be happy if I get off the computer now.

miamia Rookie
Julie,

I'm so sorry that you're still going through so much! :( You're always so dear, and your posts have made me feel so much more understood, and well, sane :P I wish that I could cast a magic spell and make you feel better!

I think Rachel said that she can't tolerate Enjoy Life Foods products or Pamela's, and I get bad reactions from them both as well, so maybe that was part of what caused your reactions.

I've had trouble in the past with really bad nightmares that always seemed related to what I ate. I did track down one of the culprits that was causing me problems. It probably sounds strange, <_< but often if I eat potato at night (doesn't happen if I eat it earlier in the day, for some reason), I get really vivid nightmares where I kind of wake up with a jolt and it takes a while to realize that it's just a dream. Don't know if that helps at all...

Rachel,

Thanks for helping me try to figure it out, and for being so kind. :) I do get some inflammation that stretches across my chest and under my arms, although it isn't as bad there now as it used to be, or as bad as in some other places. I'm pretty sure that's where those glands are though, because it even hurts me to shave when they're swollen, so maybe that's what yuo're feeling.

Julie, Rachel, Dlp, Jersey, and Andrea,

I totally agree with what you all said about trying to make sense of the conflicting lists, safe/unsafe foods, common allergens, advice from the 'pros'. It gets to a point where you can't figure what in the world you should eat and which lists/theories to follow. I'm like you are too, once I get committed to a structured plan, I'm fine, but when I'm trying to make sense of it all I jump back and forth between theories and end up getting so confused and overwhelmed that it just seems impossible.

The great thing to know though is that most of us seem to have some idea of what we were eating when we felt best. I know it was extremely limited, but maybe if we can get back to that base point and then choose one additional thing to address, it'll be easier? That's my plan anyway, the foods that i already know from expereince are "safe" for me + msg/corn considerations.

Also, Jersey and Julie, when I just took gluten out of my diet, I was completely bed ridden and got so much sicker than I had been before, to the point where even my mom was scared that I might not make it. I think at least the three of us agree that for us, there's something even more harmful than gluten. Now if we can just figure out what it is?! :blink::) I think we're getting close.

I know what everyone means there are so many diets so many "answers" that all swear to ce the one thing that really works. It gets so overwhelming. I guess everyone is different and you just havve to find what works best for you. But I think its pretty obvious we all do best going as simple and ure as possible.

I agree with what everyonw was saying starting a new diet or making the initial changes is definitly the hardest part for me once I make them I am so disciplined its just the iitial changes that are hard. I think I may have n addictive personality and I get set in routines and food patterns and the are hard for me to break but once I break them I stick to the changes. (I hope this makes sense)

I can't remember who said they had had trouble swallowing but I definitly canunderstand this - it also goes to the swollen thing rachel was talking about. Before they diagnosed me with anyfood allergies I kept trying to explain to my doctors that I felt like my throat was closing and I had a lot of trouble swallowing. and It was as though my chest was swollen . They told me I had esophogeal spasms. They ended up performing 2 esophogeal dialations on me . Of course these did nothing. And despite me explaing my throat was closing when I ate they never thought to check me for food allergies. God I love doctors( sarcasm noted)

Miamia

dlp252 Apprentice
I think I may have n addictive personality and I get set in routines and food patterns and the are hard for me to break but once I break them I stick to the changes. (I hope this makes sense)

Oh, EXACTLY!!! I think I am the same way. I DO get stuck on food patterns and routines. It makes perfect sense to me, lol.

You and I sound similar. I need structure too. I'm very good at following an eating plan, that isn't the hard part for me. But I need to have it all spelled out. If it isn't spelled out for me then I crumble Also I have a hard time deciding what to do. But once I sort everything out and make a plan and get started, I stick with it.

That's great you got good news from the doctor about your initial tests!!! Here's hoping for good news on your follow up

Yep, definitely need it spelled out, lol. Thanks for the well wishes.

Excitotoxins is a good book. I never got more than halfway through it, but the first half was very informative. I really like Dr. Blaylocks work. We just got another book of his "health and nutritional secrets...". Another good one.

I caught up!! :D

My 6 month old will be happy if I get off the computer now.

Glad you got caught up, lol, it's not easy if you don't come back to this thread a few times a day. :D

I may just order both books. I think that was one of the "save if you buy this book too" thingys from Amazon yesterday when I checked out the Myth book....hum, I must go back and check for sure.

Calicat Newbie

Hi girls. I hope that you're all having a good-health day or at least a day of good-spirits :) A few of you were wondering whether or not to order Battling the MSG Myth...

My copy arrived yesterday and I finished reading most of it last night. It isn't actually a traditional book, more of a computer print out that was spiral bound (which unfortunately kind of takes away from what's inside b/c it looks somewhat makeshift) There are some stories and explanations, lists, etc but on the whole I was pretty disappointed that there wasn't more to it.

More than half of it is a cookbook, but remember, the author doesn't avoid gluten, so there's wheat involved in many of the recipes. :unsure: Also, I don't know about you, but I get into trouble with reactions any time I try any sort of recipe, so that's just totally off-limits for me.

Maybe I'm guilty of always wanting more, :rolleyes: but a timeline would have been so nice, or at least knowing how long it took the author and case studies before they started to feel well again. :huh: I'm glad that I have it as a reference, but I really feel like I need something more in-depth, so I'm thinking about that Excitotoxin book too.

Just wanted to let you know my impression of the book so you can decide. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

christine 25 Newbie

I would never say to somone, that what they feel is true is all in their head. My primary care dr said once that she thought I was a hypocondriac, a rhumotologist I saw said I fall into the category of a group of pepople called the "worried well." The other day I decided to try and open up to a new friend and explain I wasnt feeling well, and she said, "you look fine, theres nothing wrong with you."

I remember all these things that people have said and I can quote them, it stays with me, it hurts and stings to hear these things, and it resulted in me feeling more alone and less understood.

When you doctor made you feel like it was all in your head, floridian, Thats is like totally dismissing you, and how you feel, and that Doctor would be kinder to bite their tongue for a minuite listen to you, and acutally think about that what they say has a profound affect on you. It can ruin a persons whole day, and make them feel worse if they feel they are not being understood. As doctor, and as friends, as people we should listen and let pepople speak what is true for them, and just understand we are not obligated to fix it.

Doctors feel they are obligated to fix us, somtimes when they dont understand us, they scapegoat to its all in the patients head, and they loose us, and also they become less empathetic people. I am lucky and also unlucky to have a Doctor for a father. I rarely get validated, because he doesnt listen to feelings, he pays attention to whats wrong, and when he cant find a cause, the cause is me. He wants things done the right way, a robot can do that,,, I want to say dad,,, please I just would want you to understand how I feel and consider it for a minuite, I dont know if hes capabale, unless he experiences it for himself.

I believe all of us.

Dont ever let anyone say its all in your head, and be weakened by it, you know you are right.

Christina

dlp252 Apprentice

You know, that's what I LOVE about this board...you can come here and talk about anything and usually there's at least ONE person who's had a similar experience or symptom.

Well, girls, I've had something in the last 24 hours that is really messing me up. I've had headaches, puffiness, bad stomach bloating, gas and lots of rumbling noises. My knee also started hurting this morning too... Also my whole abdominal area feel sore...just in general, nothing specific.

I'm thinking it's one of these: brown rice, agave nectar, green tea or the chinese veggies (Cascadian Farms with no seasonings).

I've eaten brown rice before with no problems, although I had 1/2 cup last night and 1/2 cup for breakfast this morning and maybe that was just too much too close together.

I've had the agave nectar, but not since before I went on the SCD.

I've had the green tea before but not for several weeks.

I had the chinese veggies last week without problem...it has green beans, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms (don't eat them, and there aren't many anyway--only found 1 piece), onions (which I don't eat) and some other type of root type veggie (don't think its ginger, but not sure exactly what it is). I eat green beans and broccoli all the time without problem...don't eat mushrooms at all anymore since I'm allergic to mold (not anaphalacticSP??), and I've never liked onions so don't eat them. What ever that root veggie is I like it but there isn't much there anyway.

Ugg, lol. I am gaining weight because I'm constantly hungry, and this is just making everything worse, lol.

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna, you poor thing.... I was reading everything you ate and the only thing that jumped out at me was the chinese vegi package (wondering if they have hidden MSG) ... just a thought! I will pray for you!

Yep, I'm figuring that must be it--the package doesn't list any other ingredients but after everything we've been discussing, who knows. The veggies in this mix are all organic, but that still doesn't mean msg isn't in there somewhere...I ate other things than what I listed, but those are things I eat very frequently. The package lists no other ingredients. Oh and the mystery root thing is actually bamboo shoots, lol. THAT alone could probably be it although there aren't many in there, lol.

Anyway the other stuff I had yesterday was chicken breast tenders, sunflower seeds (threw just a few in my brown rice for breakfast with a bit of the agave nectar on it), ground beef, apple, banana, pear, 2 hard boiled eggs, shrimp and green beens sauteed in olive oil, and some almond butter (before bed). These are all things I eat fairly regularly without problem.

I am feeling better today...I got nice and cleaned out first thing this morning, lol.

AndreaB Contributor

Rachel,

In your quest for info on msg..I have a question.

The list you posted of hidden msg listed vitamins. Would that even include tablets? All vitamins or just the ones with B vitamins? :unsure:

I've got to try and track down another calcium vitamin, the one I have has gelatin capsules and cellulose I believe. I need extra calcium for the baby and there is not much in our diet. I guess I need to see if I can get used to sardines again. :o

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel,

In your quest for info on msg..I have a question.

The list you posted of hidden msg listed vitamins. Would that even include tablets? All vitamins or just the ones with B vitamins? :unsure:

Andrea,

From what I've read its seems like its very difficult to find a vitamin or basically any supplement or medication that is totally free of msg. I guess besides the capsules most supplements or meds also use stuff like cornstarch, dextrose, dextrin, maltodextrin, etc. as fillers and binders. I've been spending alot of time trying to absorb what I can from the msg message board. I seem to be extremely sensitive (as are most of the people posting there) and I havent been able to tolerate any of the supplements I've tried...especially the vitamins. They mention using compounding pharmacies. This is what I've done for my thyroid mediaction and for now I'm not going to worry about taking vitamins.

I never took vitamins back when I was healthy and honestly I dont know if I really need those. Cant we get the vitamins we need from eating lots of fruit and veggies and other natural foods? I saw something on TV that talked about how vitamins/supplements are big business and how we dont really need them but its "instilled" into our brains that we do...most of the time there are undesireable ingredients in these pills. I think I'm gonna stick with getting what I need from food.

dlp252 Apprentice

I know I have a hard time with most supplements, so there's something in them that bothers me. I've never tried liquid vitamins though.

Rachel is the compounding pharmacy in the bay area or closer to where you live?

Well, in addition to the cleaning out this morning I got VERY lightheaded as I was out and about today, and very forgetful. I'm wondering if part of this isn't a delayed reaction to the gluten I had last week. Most of my reactions (of any kind) seem to be delayed. When I got tested for environmental allergies the first time, the nurse had to give me a higher dosage of the allergins because I had zero reaction in the time allotted, not even for the histamine control. So, I had all 35 skin pricks a second time...later on that evening the 1st set started to react. I'm wondering if the food stuff would be delayed as well (although not really an allergic thing I guess).

Floridian - it might be the seeds. I've eaten them before but it's been almost 6 months I think...that does happen to me sometimes...if I eat a lot of something then don't for a long time, I have problems when trying to eat it again.

I went shopping today and bought all my chicken, turkey and veggies and fruits, so starting tomorrow I'm going to try to stick to just those things...maybe in a week I'll try the brown rice again to see if it was that.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel is the compounding pharmacy in the bay area or closer to where you live?

Donna, I think there's a link to locating a compounding pharmacy on the 1st or 2nd page of this thread. I'm not positive if it was on this thread or not but Tarnalberry posted it. I found a couple that were in SJ...the one I went to is right accross the street from Valley Fair (the backside). Let me know if you want more info. about it. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
My copy arrived yesterday and I finished reading most of it last night. It isn't actually a traditional book, more of a computer print out that was spiral bound (which unfortunately kind of takes away from what's inside b/c it looks somewhat makeshift) There are some stories and explanations, lists, etc but on the whole I was pretty disappointed that there wasn't more to it.

More than half of it is a cookbook, but remember, the author doesn't avoid gluten, so there's wheat involved in many of the recipes. :unsure: Also, I don't know about you, but I get into trouble with reactions any time I try any sort of recipe, so that's just totally off-limits for me.

Maybe I'm guilty of always wanting more, :rolleyes: but a timeline would have been so nice, or at least knowing how long it took the author and case studies before they started to feel well again. :huh: I'm glad that I have it as a reference, but I really feel like I need something more in-depth, so I'm thinking about that Excitotoxin book too.

Thanks for posting that Calicat!

I think I'm still gonna order the book so I can have it as a reference guide and like you...I'll probably order the other book too for the more scientific and in-depth stuff.

I'm learning alot just from reading the posts on the message board. Its crazy how so many things are making sense to me now....like all of my neverending questions are being answered.

I had a whole list of things that just stuck out in my mind and I could never find a reasonable answer to them...things like why would I get dramatically worse if I made any type of soup? Just boiling water with some chicken or beef and a few veggies would get me so swollen and brain-fogged. Now I've learned that this creates alot of free glutamates and will cause an MSG reaction in sensitive people.

Also, a couple months back I bought organic iceberg lettuce from whole foods and after the first taste I was getting a strong reaction. I had a couple more bites but then had to stop. I was too scared to ever try it again and ended up tossing the lettuce but in the back of my head I was always wondering why that happened...it was organic so shouldnt have chemicals. Now I found out that pretty much all the iceberg lettuce is sprayed with auxigro.

I believe I've had a few run-ins with auxigro. I would say for sure the iceberg lettuce and also some potatoes I bought. I've done ok with other potatoes though so I'm pretty sure they're not all sprayed. Oh yeah....also the big yams at Whole Foods...I reacted to those. I bought some very small (cute actually) organic sweet potatoes from another market and didnt react to them. I think I reacted to some cantaloupe also....I read that melons are sprayed here in CA....I got a little pressure and a migraine after eating it. I tried honeydew and seemed ok. I definately will stay away from strawberries cuz I think alot of them are sprayed too.

I spent a long time reading the labels at whole foods looking to see if I could find a jam that didnt have pectin or citric acid. I found 2...they were Whole Foods brand and only the flavors blackberry and boysenberry didnt have pectin. I bought boysenberry....the only ingredients were boysenberries, organic cane sugar and lemon juice. I ate the whole jar and didnt have any problems with it. The only thing that sucks is that I didnt have anything to put it on. I just ate it out of the jar.

I ate alot of fruits and veggies yesterday and the only thing that had alot of glutamtes was the beef I had for dinner. I was betting that I would react to the beef because I think I think I have tons of MSG stored in me right now....I think its gonna take a long time for my body to be able to handle things high in glutamate. Anyways I did get some pressure in my head after only my first bite but it wasnt bad enough to make me stop. The beef was really goood. :P

Hope everyone is feeling good and enjoying the holiday weekend! :)

Has anyone had a bad reaction to bananas? I had 1/2 of banana last night and was horribly sick for about 4 hours.

Sometimes I react to bananas and other times I can handle them. I ate one yesterday and was fine. Alot of people react to bananas for various reasons. I think I do best when the banana is not too green and not too ripe either.

christine 25 Newbie

Hey Rach.

About the the soup,,,, me too!!

When I just boiled soup with vegies,, carrots, chicken and salt, I got ,major reactions in the past,,,

homemade soups that are supposed to be good for me end up causing major pain in my face.

do u know why the glutamtes get increased with the soup?

Ive found that eating less, and smaller meals helps with the pain a lot! Rather than waiting till 3 pm to eat then gorging on salad and chicken, thats when I get the worst reactions when I havent eaten for a while, my body get highly reactive.

What do you eat for breakfast?

You ate A whole jar of jelly and you didnt react!! WOW~

I think your on to somthing, I pray that you are right!!!!!

Christina

dlp252 Apprentice

Rachel - thanks for the info on the pharmacies!

I'm still not 100% sure MSG is a problem for me, I think it doesn't help, but I don't seem to be that sensitive to it...still I plan to reduce as much as possible the amount I eat because it just can't be good for anyone.

I've decided to test for blood sugar issues first so I'm doing that today. Had 2 slices of millet bread which I made as french toast this morning with a little pure maple syrup on it...so far my readings have been strange, lol. I bought two monitors...at 1 hour after my meal, both monitors showed me higher than the usual range for 1 hour after a meal, although the one meter was only over by 4 points or so. The other meter was 16 points higher than the other meter...so that made me over the upper range by 20 points. At two hours after my meal I'm in the acceptable range on both meters although the one is still much higher than the ohter. I'm going to test again in about 5 minutes then again at the 4 hour mark. That should give me a pretty good idea of what my blood sugar is doing. I'm not sure if I'll test any more after that except for before and after I exercise.

Christine - eating less and more often has always worked well for me (well, except for the last 4 weeks or so, but I think that's because the medication I'm taking is making me hungry).

miamia Rookie
Has anyone had a bad reaction to bananas? I had 1/2 of banana last night and was horribly sick for about 4 hours.

Floridian-

The last time I had a bannana I was sick for like 2 days- I had a part of one one day and got sick but didn't think it could be the bannana because I used to eat them without a problem and then when I tried one again I realized that was definitly what it was. I hate because I really want to gain weight and supposedly those are good for that. It is so frustrating I can;t eat any of the foods that help one to put on weight- no ice cream(dairy) no nut butters, the list goes on.

Miamia

Hey Rach.

About the the soup,,,, me too!!

When I just boiled soup with vegies,, carrots, chicken and salt, I got ,major reactions in the past,,,

homemade soups that are supposed to be good for me end up causing major pain in my face.

do u know why the glutamtes get increased with the soup?

Ive found that eating less, and smaller meals helps with the pain a lot! Rather than waiting till 3 pm to eat then gorging on salad and chicken, thats when I get the worst reactions when I havent eaten for a while, my body get highly reactive.

What do you eat for breakfast?

You ate A whole jar of jelly and you didnt react!! WOW~

I think your on to somthing, I pray that you are right!!!!!

Christina

This is so interesting - I have not been able to have soup either and I didn't understand why- it seems so simple but I always react.

Rachel- your crazy- A whole jar of jelly- I think I would die if I tried that!!

My main problem right nw is figuring out dinner options I can;t seem to find anything that sits right - What has everyone been eating? I need some suggestions.

Miamia

Calicat Newbie
Floridian-

The last time I had a bannana I was sick for like 2 days- I had a part of one one day and got sick but didn't think it could be the bannana because I used to eat them without a problem and then when I tried one again I realized that was definitly what it was.

This is so interesting - I have not been able to have soup either and I didn't understand why- it seems so simple but I always react.

My main problem right nw is figuring out dinner options I can;t seem to find anything that sits right - What has everyone been eating? I need some suggestions.

Miamia

Floridian,

I had a reaction very similar to Miamia in response to banana. Tried 1/2 one day, got sick, thought that couldn't be it, tried the other half the next day and was sick for a couple of days (migraine, etc) yet there was a time when I was okay with banana. Very strange (and frustrating!!) I have really bad reactions to citrus fruits as well, orange being the worst culprit of the bunch.

I've had soup problems too but thought it was from one of the individual ingredients. Finally I just gave up on it all together b/c I never did figure out which part was so problematic. Very interesting to hear that so many of you have reactions to it. Makes me feel a bit less crazy!

Miamia,

It probably sounds really boring but I just have steamed veggies for dinner (zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, spinach--depending on what my stomach is up for). Salads used to work, but they're too hard on my stomach lately, so they'll probably be too hard for you too. The steamed veggies bother me a bit, but they seem to be the lesser evil. Sorry I don't have more to offer. :blink::)

Calicat Newbie

Okay girls, I guess I've just been being stubborn about this whole casein/dairy thing...maybe you can give me some support for the detox?

I didn't think it was a problem for me, but more and more that seems to be wishful thinking. I cut way back on dairy and after a few days my face and throat weren't nearlyas swollen and my joint and back pain were much better too. Then, in typical feeling-a-bit-better-so-why-don't-i-try-something-else fashion (haha, curse of the restricted diet :rolleyes: ) i had a 1/2 cup of yogurt--w/pectin in it though, so that makes this a bit tricky-- and the next day I was sooo much worse and puffy again.

So either I'm reacting more strongly now to dairy or to MSG (pectin). I'm eliminating all sources of MSG anyway, but it seems to me like the face and lip swelling might actually be a dairy allergy. <_<:( Have any of you had experience with this? Any stories about how giving up dairy helped you, so I can stay dedicated to the detox?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

christine 25 Newbie
Okay girls, I guess I've just been being stubborn about this whole casein/dairy thing...maybe you can give me some support for the detox?

I didn't think it was a problem for me, but more and more that seems to be wishful thinking. I cut way back on dairy and after a few days my face and throat weren't nearlyas swollen and my joint and back pain were much better too. Then, in typical feeling-a-bit-better-so-why-don't-i-try-something-else fashion (haha, curse of the restricted diet :rolleyes: ) i had a 1/2 cup of yogurt--w/pectin in it though, so that makes this a bit tricky-- and the next day I was sooo much worse and puffy again.

So either I'm reacting more strongly now to dairy or to MSG (pectin). I'm eliminating all sources of MSG anyway, but it seems to me like the face and lip swelling might actually be a dairy allergy. <_<:( Have any of you had experience with this? Any stories about how giving up dairy helped you, so I can stay dedicated to the detox?

Cali

Yes, Dairy is the worst for me,

I have found that out of all the foods the worst reactions I get are from

All dairy, yogurt, milk, eggs

its even worse than gluten.

I get a metallic taste in my mouth after dairy I have pin pointed that as the cause of the tinny taste, after dealing with this for 2 years now.

It is so hard to give up dairy, and I have had ranch dressing and cottage cheese, and some ice cream in the past month, so I am guilty because I do cheat occasionally. Its just that I love it so much.

I dont drink milk and havent in a year, cause that gave me the worst swollen up throat and feelings like lumps were in my neck, and my neck was tender and my face gets puffys and jaw hurts so bad!

I am going to have to strictly eliminated dairy from my diet, and yes I have noticed a difference when I dont eat it, I still feel lousy, but im not in super pain like i am having a reaction that lasts for days.

I feel like I reach my pain threshold when I eat dairy.

I tested negative to dairy allergies for RAST, Im not sure what tests I could take to find out if dairy is the problem, but im sensitive to it and it makes me feel worse so im not going to eat it anymore and neither should you.

I wouldnt drink milk anymore and no more yogurt and whatever other dairy your consuming, for at least a month, go strick, and see how you feel. Start today, we can do it together....

We dont need this pain anymore.

Christina

AndreaB Contributor

Cali and Christine,

I gave up dairy 3 years ago for the vegan diet. What I replaced it with was soy, which I have since read is bad for you. What I miss the most is butter quite honestly. We've converted over to rice milk, although my daughter still doesn't like it. I tested allergic to gluten/gliadin/soy/dairy. I'm hoping that the dairy isn't permanent so I can go back to butter and some cheese. I miss soy yogurt so assume I would miss the dairy yogurt as well.

Hopefully as your body heals you will be able to go back to eating some dairy (if you aren't allergic). Maybe it's just a matter of the proteins causing problems due to intestinal damage.

Can either of you eat almonds, sunflowers, or cashews? Can't replace yogurt with those but I do have a recipe for almond or cashew mayonnaise. Sunflower seeds are also used in a recipe. I'd be glad to post some substitute recipes. I know it's hard with multiple allergies. Remember, being a former vegan, I have lots of recipes. Just need to factor out the wheat.

miamia Rookie

Calicat-

I had to give up dairy that is probally what Ir eact worse too. The hardest thing for me was I love coffee( I know terrible for me) And I used to need half and half in it plus I love ice cream. I kept thinking if I cut it out everywhere but these areas I'de be ok but I wasen't. I have problems with sy so it was not even like I could just switch to that. I think the key is to just think of it as one day. So you say just for tomorrow I won't have any dairy and then it seems possible and once you do it for a day or two you realize you do't need it. I know for me the hardest part of cutting anything out is that first step once I cut it out its out but initially doing it is so hard!! Its definitly easier if you can think of something to replace it with. I don't know if this is helpful. I don't cheat at all with the dairy because now that I cut it out my once severe reactions are actually more severe. On taste and my throat and face swell up and I can't breathe well. Like I said though think of it as one day- and then go from there. I hope this helps. And I still can't get used to the ice cream thing and occaionally have this soy ice cream I really like. I always regret it but its alot better than dairy for me. I know I need to just cut it out though.

Cali and Christine,

I gave up dairy 3 years ago for the vegan diet. What I replaced it with was soy, which I have since read is bad for you. What I miss the most is butter quite honestly. We've converted over to rice milk, although my daughter still doesn't like it. I tested allergic to gluten/gliadin/soy/dairy. I'm hoping that the dairy isn't permanent so I can go back to butter and some cheese. I miss soy yogurt so assume I would miss the dairy yogurt as well.

Hopefully as your body heals you will be able to go back to eating some dairy (if you aren't allergic). Maybe it's just a matter of the proteins causing problems due to intestinal damage.

Can either of you eat almonds, sunflowers, or cashews? Can't replace yogurt with those but I do have a recipe for almond or cashew mayonnaise. Sunflower seeds are also used in a recipe. I'd be glad to post some substitute recipes. I know it's hard with multiple allergies. Remember, being a former vegan, I have lots of recipes. Just need to factor out the wheat.

I cannot do nuts but I do use sunflower seeds for a bunch of recipes and make "fake cheese" and so on. I don't think the seeds are great for me- but they are alot better than most things. I also use them for vegetable pastes and alot of other things. I can't handle most meats right now so even though they don't sit great I feel like I need to get protein from somewhere and since I don't get any extreme reactions form them I eat them.

Green12 Enthusiast

Some people who are sensitive to corn cross-react to bananas. Bananas and corn share a similar protein. Also, I think it can depend upon what region of the world the bananas come from as to what they are sprayed with and how much.

Hi girls. I hope that you're all having a good-health day or at least a day of good-spirits :) A few of you were wondering whether or not to order Battling the MSG Myth...

I really appreciate this information Calicat. This is most helpful! I think I will wait on purchasing the book for now based on your review.

Green12 Enthusiast

Calicat,

Face and lip swelling sounds like an anaphylactic (sp?) type of reaction, which is very serious, so that might be enough of an incentive for you to stay clear of dairy. But, the reaction also could be coming from some other food or substance as well, not necessarily dairy, I couldn't say for sure.

For me, dairy creates a lot of mucous in my body. I notice that my head, ears, nose, throat, lungs, etc. are always much more free of clogging mucous when I stay away from it. I haven't completely given it up, I do occasionally indulge and when I do the mucous builds up with a vengeance. Also, there are usually other things in the dairy that might be problematic, (enriched vitamins, carageenan (sp?), various additives and fillers) so it's hard to say is it truly the dairy??

Try going without dairy, making sure to clear out all sources of casein, for a week and see if there is significant improvement with your water retention and swelling, throat swelling and other related symptoms, if they go away it might be a sure sign that dairy is a problem for you.

You have my support, I know it isn't easy giving up anything from an already limited diet :)

Andrea,

I wish I could tolerate nuts and seeds, but they seem to be problematic for me. My diet would be great if I could have them because it sounds like you can do so much with them and they would add a lot of variety to a very limited diet.

Archived