This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Calicat Newbie

Christina and Andrea,

Thanks for your feedback and for sharing what your experiences with dairy/casein have been... Today's Day 1 dairy-free for me! I hope eliminating it wil help us a lot! :) Sometimes it's a lot easier knowing other people who have already given it up or who are doing it at the same time.

I would love to try some nut and seed recipes someday. I don't think I can tolerate them at this point, but once I get a bit better, I'm hoping it'll work, and then I'll definitely take you up on your recipe offer, Andrea!!

I was vegan for about 3 years and yet since I've expanded my diet I keep thinking, how did i ever give up dairy?! Isn't it funny how you can forget? I can't do soy either, it's the worst offender for me and with the dairy, i'm afraid it's an actual allergy :( rather than an intolerance because of the throat-lip-face swelling, etc. I guess it's back to vegan for the time being, unless fish starts being okay again.

Thanks so much for sharing and for your support :)

Calicat-

I had to give up dairy that is probally what Ir eact worse too. The hardest thing for me was I love coffee( I know terrible for me) And I used to need half and half in it plus I love ice cream. I kept thinking if I cut it out everywhere but these areas I'de be ok but I wasen't. I have problems with sy so it was not even like I could just switch to that. I think the key is to just think of it as one day. So you say just for tomorrow I won't have any dairy and then it seems possible and once you do it for a day or two you realize you do't need it. I know for me the hardest part of cutting anything out is that first step once I cut it out its out but initially doing it is so hard!! Its definitly easier if you can think of something to replace it with. I don't know if this is helpful. I don't cheat at all with the dairy because now that I cut it out my once severe reactions are actually more severe. On taste and my throat and face swell up and I can't breathe well. Like I said though think of it as one day- and then go from there. I hope this helps. And I still can't get used to the ice cream thing and occaionally have this soy ice cream I really like. I always regret it but its alot better than dairy for me. I know I need to just cut it out though.

Miamia,

That helped a lot :) I haven't felt any better since giving up gluten a few months ago, so I know something else is causing a lot of problems, the main scary thing being the throat/face swelling.

I had given up all dairy except for one source: milk in my tea! I was thinking the same thing that you said...if i give it up in every other area, maybe i can sneak this bit by and it'll be okay. Giving up the yogurt and ice cream was really hard, but do-able, it's just the tea thing that I'm so emotionally attached to, so I totally understand your coffee thing (thanks for sharing that!) I'm usually fine once I get used to a diet change, it's just the first step that's so hard, just like you said.

Another question about the dairy... I had taken it all out except for in my tea, and i was reducing that amount too, for about 10 days and then I had a 1/2 c. of yogurt and my face and throat got very swollen, which never used to happen before from such a small amount, so do you think it's possible that i'm reacting to it more strongly b/c of nearly eliminating it? It sounds like that's similar to what happened to you. And I'm guessing that's indicative of a true allergy. Hmm. <_<

Thanks again for your story. It makes me feel more convinced that this really might be what's causing such trouble for me.

Some people who are sensitive to corn cross-react to bananas. Bananas and corn share a similar protein. Also, I think it can depend upon what region of the world the bananas come from as to what they are sprayed with and how much.

I really appreciate this information Calicat. This is most helpful! I think I will wait on purchasing the book for now based on your review.

Calicat,

Face and lip swelling sounds like an anaphylactic (sp?) type of reaction, which is very serious, so that might be enough of an incentive for you to stay clear of dairy. But, the reaction also could be coming from some other food or substance as well, not necessarily dairy, I couldn't say for sure.

Try going without dairy, making sure to clear out all sources of casein, for a week and see if there is significant improvement with your water retention and swelling, throat swelling and other related symptoms, if they go away it might be a sure sign that dairy is a problem for you.

You have my support, I know it isn't easy giving up anything from an already limited diet :)

Julie,

Very interesting about the bananas...I had no idea that there was a smilarity! :blink: Glad the book review helped. :)

I've been wondering if the dairy might be an anaphylactic (sp?) reaction too. I do get anaphylaxis (sp?) from soy, but I didn't recall the swelling with that, just the whole rapidly dropping blood pressure, throat closing, need to be rushed to the ER thing. Haha. :rolleyes: I guess the symptoms can manifest in different ways though.

Well, today is my first day, no fudging on tea or anything. I mean business! I would be sooo happy if I could be de-puffed and feeling a bit better by my birthday(early June), otherwise I'm going to pretend it's in September instead!

Thanks for sympathizing with how hard it is to give things up when you're already limited. And for the support.

Hearing from all of you is already making this seem easier. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rachel--24 Collaborator
Well, today is my first day, no fudging on tea or anything. I mean business! I would be sooo happy if I could be de-puffed and feeling a bit better by my birthday(early June), otherwise I'm going to pretend it's in September instead!

LOL....Calicat, thats what I'm doing too! I'm pretending my b-day is next month so I can celebrate totally de-puffed. :D

Good luck with getting strict...I hope it works for you. Giving up dairy is really hard but its do-able. Its funny how once you give it up its really not so bad but then if you have some again it seems like you cant live without it. Thats how its been for me...I give it up for several months then start having it again and its like the addiction is back in full force. I'm totally off dairy again...I think this is like the third time.

My reactions (not just dairy) are very strong and noticeable the "cleaner" I get. I think this can happen with anything that our bodies react to. If its like a poison to us the more we avoid it and feel better the stronger we'll react when its reintroduced. Its like our bodies are telling us very clearly that this is NOT something we should be consuming.

Have you ever had allergy tests? Maybe all you need to eliminate is dairy and gluten. You've never tried going dairy free? If you feel its a true allergy you should probably get tested...maybe you will need an epi-pen. True allergies can definately get worse with each exposure.

Also, there are usually other things in the dairy that might be problematic, (enriched vitamins, carageenan (sp?), various additives and fillers) so it's hard to say is it truly the dairy??

This could also be the case. Its hard to know for sure. I read alot of stories about people who thought they were allergic to dairy but were reacting to the chemicals, hormones or other additives in the dairy instead. When they avoided whatever "additive" it was that they were reacting to they found they could tolerate dairy. Its like we really have to be detectives to figure all this stuff out. <_<

Its definately a great idea to not eat dairy with the reactions you're getting from it. You have my support on that too. :)

I hope you get de-puffed ASAP!!! I'm rooting for you...hoping you can celebrate you're b-day on the actual day! Are you a gemini too?

christine 25 Newbie
That helped a lot :) I haven't felt any better since giving up gluten a few months ago, so I know something else is causing a lot of problems, the main scary thing being the throat/face swelling.

I had given up all dairy except for one source: milk in my tea!

Another question about the dairy... I had taken it all out except for in my tea, and i was reducing that amount too, for about 10 days and then I had a 1/2 c. of yogurt and my face and throat got very swollen, which never used to happen before from such a small amount, so do you think it's possible that i'm reacting to it more strongly b/c of nearly eliminating it? It sounds like that's similar to what happened to you. And I'm guessing that's indicative of a true allergy. Hmm. <_<

Cali, for me even a little bit of milk is really bad, which sucks because I loved milk. I used to love eating milk and cereal. <sighs>

I dont think its just the protein or msg that is the problem for me, I think its the iodine in the milk and dairy. I have come to realize that I am very iodine sensitive.

By the way,,,Milk also contains a lot of iodine and so does the fish you are eating.

I cant eat fish or milk, or really any processed foods with salt, cause ill get that tinny taste and facial swelling and delayed reaction etc pain you were talking about.

My theory about it is that, When I go on a low iodine diet for a period of time,,, no fish, dairy, iodized salt, seaweed, nuts etc cut down on meat,,,and then I eat a little bit of a high iodine containg food like a yogurt, my symptoms flare up because my thyroid has been low on ditary iodine, because ive been avoiding it, so then my thyroid takes up extra amounts of it when its reintroduced back my body in a larger amount. It is the cumulative effect of excess iodine, or the sudden increased amout that causes these reactions in me. So I guess the theory is that taking in a low amount of iodine everyday, is better for the thyroid than going on a very low iodine diet, and then reintroducing it a larger amount (2).

It has been proven that low iodine diets are better for thyroid antibodies, and also soy is bad too, and gluten free, preservative free etc,,,,as which you have found out (1).

But I really believe that a strick low iodine diet is when I feel best,

Because of my thyroid condition my body is super sensitive to iodine, and it always makes me feel worse when i eat a lot of it.

Symptoms of iodism (too much iodine) include:

Burning of mouth or throat

Metallic taste

Increased watering of mouth

Sore teeth and gums

Severe headache

Swelling of arms, face, legs, lips, tongue, throat and lymph glands

I am not saying I have iodism persay, because that means iodine toxicity, but I am highly supersensitive to it, and the symptoms are there that match perfectly. Not to get into a chemistry lesson but i am Also I am sensitive to any halogens, like flouride and bromine, I cannot tolerate sea salt, fish, or anything from the sea.

Once I took kelp tablets because I read that they were supposed to be good for my thyroid, well reguardless afterwards I felt like I was at my worst, and almost had to go to the er,,,, I got the worst puffy face and mucus and rash and burning and nausea, fatugie joint pain, weakness, and brassy taste in my mouth... and the Kelp is like pure iodine.....

When I started taking thyroid meds which contain iodine, and felt a lot worse too,,,, thats when a lot of my probs started...after the excess iodine i was taking, and halogenated mineral supplement, that containted lithium and high amounts of idoine and bromine, all goitrogens.

I dont know whats going on but whatever it is, iodine is not my friend, it acts as if its an antigen in my body, and my body cant handle it in large amounts, maybe steady low amounts are ok but like you said whenever I increase it, I get so much worse too. There is obviously an immune connection.

A lot of doctors say that people with autoimmune thyroid disorders should not take in too much iodine as it will exacerbate their condition, and I agree.

This is my experience, and I dont know if you feel it applies to you at all, but im still trying to figure it all out too...

I found a promising article on the pub med about iodine restriction.

And ive even sited this post with scientific refrences, to back up what im saying.

Question for you cali,,,

Have you ever been exposed to any chemicals that you know of, like poly chlorinated biphenols, or bromines, goitrogens, heavy metals, water contamination, molds or environmental toxins that you know of?

When exactally did these probs start? I take it you werent feeling this way your whole life that you were feeling fine and healthy at one point, and symptom free, and then you got sick right?

I had a toxic eposure, when this all this started, before that, my whole life I was fine.

C

The effect of iodine restriction on thyroid function in patients with hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Lifelong thyroid hormone replacement is indicated in patients with hypothyroidism as a result of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. However, previous reports have shown that excess iodine induces hypothyroidism in Hashimoto's thyroiditis. This study investigated the effects of iodine restriction on the thyroid function and the predictable factors for recovery in patients with hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The subject group consisted of 45 patients who had initially been diagnosed with hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The subjects were divided randomly into two groups. One group was an iodine intake restriction group (group 1) (iodine intake: less than 100 micro g/day) and the other group was an iodine intake non-restriction group (group 2). The thyroid-related hormones and the urinary excretion of iodine were measured at the baseline state and after 3 months. After 3 months, a recovery to the euthyroid state was found in 78.3 % of group 1 (18 out of 23 patients), which is higher than the 45.5% from group 2 (10 out of 22 patients). In group 1, mean serum fT4 level (0.80 +/- 0.27 ng/dL at the baseline, 0.98 +/- 0.21 ng/dL after 3 months) and the TSH level (37.95 +/- 81.76 micro IU/mL at the baseline, 25.66 +/- 70.79 micro IU/mL after 3 months) changed significantly during this period (p < 0.05). In group 2, the mean serum fT4 level decreased (0.98 +/- 0.17 ng/dL at baseline, 0.92 +/- 0.28 ng/dL after 3 months, p < 0.05). In the iodine restriction group, the urinary iodine excretion values were higher in the recovered patients than in non-recovered patients (3.51 +/- 1.62 mg/L vs. 1.21 +/- 0.39 mg/ L, p=0.006) and the initial serum TSH values were lower in the recovered patients than in the non-recovered patients (14.28 +/- 12.63 micro IU/mL vs. 123.14 +/- 156.51 micro IU/mL, p=0.005). In conclusion, 78.3% of patients with hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis regained an euthyroid state iodine restriction alone. Both a low initial serum TSH and a high initial urinary iodine concentration can be predictable factors for a recovery from hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis after restricting their iodine intake.

1) The effect of iodine restriction on thyroid function in patients with hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Department of Internal Medicine, Yongdong Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Korea. Yonsei Med J. 2003 Apr 30;44(2):227-35.

2) Effect of iodine and thyroid hormones in the induction and therapy of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Rink T, Schroth HJ, Holle LH, Garth H. 1: Nuklearmedizin. 1999;38(5):144-9.

christine 25 Newbie

To add to what I was saying.

I am not trying to single out iodine as the one source of all my problems, because I also react to other halogens like bromine and chlorine, and flouride as well.

I try to avoid all these substances, and it does help.

Another thing,,, about the tea you are drinking.

Some recent discoverys,,,

I have noticed that my symptoms get worse when I drink tea, I had some unsweetend tea today and I felt pain and pressure building up in my face, I think its the highly concentrated flavanoids in tea, they are very potant.

Also I cant tolerate apples in any form, whole, juiced, or sauced, they contain malic acid which may be a problem for my body.

but its funny you should mention it cali cause my worst reactions are to some of the things you are still eating. Heres my list.

Drinks:

Most Severe

teas, herbal or regular

colas

apple juice

beer

red wine

Welches grape juice

milk, and dairy drinks.

moderate:

orange juice, cranberry juice

mineral waters, certain tap waters with chlorine

mild to none:

some bottled waters, 7up natural soda

some distilled waters, watered down juices

Proteins:

Most Severe, in this order

Canned Tuna

Fish

Seafood

soy protein

Milk

Eggs, whites and yolks

hard cheese

yogurt

cottage cheese

ice cream

Pork

Peanuts

Moderate

Chicken,,, chicken can feel sever at times.

Red Meat

mild to none:

small amounts of beans, like black beans are the best

starches

severe:

white wonder bread, or sub roll bread

pasta

bulgur wheat

oatmeal

moderate:

white rice

sweet potatos

Fruits:

moderate to severe

apples,,, the worst espically apple juice.

grapes

oranges

mango-the worst

bananas-bad

pears-not good

melons of any kind, watermelon, honeydew, cantelope why?

of course rasins and dried fruits

blueberries

strawberries

veggies

moderate to severe

tomatos

corn

eggplant-bad reaction to it once

some peppers

tomato juice

anything really high in potassium

swiss chard

collard greens

spinach

brocolli

red beets

olives

onions

green beans-dont do well with them

mild to none

peas

lettuce

carrots

cilantro

parsley,, in moderation

im still trying to figure out the veggies

This is the other stuff

that I absolutly would never eat it would kill me

miracle whip

mayonaise

tv dinners lean cusine

Milk

cool whip

salted nuts

food colored ice cream, sherberts

jello

malted bevrages like wine coolers, smirnoff ice etc.

diet sodas

Fuze drinks

protein powders, bars

sushi

soy sauce

chinese food

taco bell

fast food hamburgers and fries

canned fish

sea salt

sprite

artificial orange drink, Hi C

kit kats

instant oatmeal

marichino cherries

canned soups

others non food

caffine, caffic acid

flouride, in toothpaste and water

chlorine

aspertame

aerosol spray oils

MSG

too many flavanoids, aka the fruits and teas

too many nitrates aka the wine and salted meats

too much salt reg or iodized

iodine, and iodized salt

malic acid, in apples

aluminum in deordants

red lipstick

red blush

make up with salyicilic acid

some black eye liners

purple eye shadows, pigmented eye shadows

drugs

birth control, progesterone only espically! in pain

antidepressants SSRIs like prozac, and paxil,,, feel happier, but weight gain and really really bad jaw pain that I couldnt bear!

soma...dry mouth headache

ultram..headache

zanaflex...drymouth headache

ambien,,, caused to worsen depression

adderall,,, ok in small amounts in larger amounts couldnt tolerate jaw pain, depression

B vitamins, make me feel good but create puffiness and jaw pain

Vitamin C

calcium supplements,, make me feel better, but in more pain

aspirin,,, no way

thyroid meds, make me feel hypo

ok supplements or drugs

valium,, can help with jaw pain a lot

N acetyl cystine, thins mucus, ok in moderation

advil in moderation for pain

This isnt a comprehensive list but its a start.

It helps me to see it all written down too, for myself also.

It seems like anything with a lot of pigment gives me some problems....

My doctors have tried to put me on various drugs for my symptoms of pain, arthritis in jaw and neck, splitting headaches, mucus, and head pressure. My depression comes from the pain. There hasnt been a day without pain since september 2005. Its wearing me down. I try not to think about it and block it out, and be a noraml 25 year old happy girl like I should be. But the pain is always there. Im scarred to be alone.

I dont know what to do somtimes, is this all that ive got?

I need help.

any one else can add if they want.

dlp252 Apprentice

Sorry I haven't been posting much girls...I'm getting a bit down. I was so sure that blood sugar was one of my issues, but after testing for two days, it doesn't look like it. My blood sugar seemed pretty well within the ranges except for one reading which was a bit higher than the range...I didn't have a lot of symptoms the last two days, but did have some lightheadedness and the blood sugar level didn't reflect it. So, back to square one. I didn't notice any particular rapid drop or rise in the levels either. I just don't know anymore.

I'm beginning to think "they" (doctors, nurses, friends, family, flies on the wall) were right when "they" said it could be stress for me. Who knows...maybe I'm turning in the hypocondriach I was trying not to be, lol.

The one good thing that I decided to do in the last two days was to keep a better journal. I've been journalling for 4 years (every since I started working out)...I keep track of what I eat and the amounts of carbs/fats/protein, etc and the activity I do each day and noted a few general comments, usually about sleep, lol, but there isn't a lot of space for keeping track of symptoms and when they appear...so while I can look back over the last 4 years to get general trends for symptoms and what I ate, I don't have a detailed daily record. So, since Monday when I started my blood sugar testing, I've written down EVERYTHING, lol. I've been noting what time I did what, and what time symptoms appeared. I'm hoping I can get a clearer picture of what's going on.

So, to end on a more upbeat and less depressed note, lol, here are some improvements I've seen:

Dairy - I saw a lot of improvement once I cut out all dairy...my sinuses are MUCH clearer and don't feel NEARLY the congestion I used to feel in my chest and throat. I haven't had a sinus infection since October which is just unheard of--I was getting them every 6 weeks. For the first time in maybe 10 years or so, my sense of smell is coming back!

I don't know whether it was the dairy or the gluten, but the pain I felt in both knees went away after cutting out both of them. I actually had gone so far as to be referred to an orthopedic surgeon who did xrays, MRI, etc. He basically said there wasn't a good clear reason why they hurt so bad. Fortunately right after that is when I cut out the dairy and gluten, and the pain went away...I still get an ache ocassionally, but it was a daily, constant pain before that.

SCD - the major improvement I saw after doing this diet even for just a few weeks was that my diarrhea went away. I still have slightly soft stools, but usually just go once maybe twice a day.

So now, it's back to concentrating on eliminating corn and MSG. I may have to give up my beloved nuts and nut butters. :(

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Donna,

Don't be discouraged....I think you're doing great. :)

Even though your blood sugar came out normal its still good that you were monitoring it and now are able to rule it out rather than wondering about it. Thats pretty much what I've been doing the last few years...I took so many tests and even though it seems like it was a waste of time and money...it really wasnt because it told me what I needed to know. I dont worry so much about bigger problems or undiagnosed diseases anymore since everything checks out normal. Its a load off my mind I guess and I have more confidence in myself as far as the answer being in my diet all along.

None of this stuff is easy but we'll get there. Its awesome that you are experiencing alot less pain w/out the gluten and dairy..also that the "d" has improved. Those are all positive signs that you're doing something right for your body. Keep your chin up and be happy that your blood sugar is normal. :)

dlp252 Apprentice

Thanks Rachel! I'm probably a little more down today than I normally would be because I didn't sleep much last night, but I'll snap out of it eventually, lol.

I am glad I bought the glucose monitor though. I'm going to check from time to time because there have been several times in the past where I've been working out and feel really dizzy, lightheaded, shakey and "out of it", and once that happened during a long grueling day of walking, so I'll keep it around to test at those times too to see if working out intensely has any affect.

Like you said..I've spent a lot of money on tests and equipment, etc. but I don't feel like it was wasted, so at least that's good, lol.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast
Sorry I haven't been posting much girls...I'm getting a bit down. I was so sure that blood sugar was one of my issues, but after testing for two days, it doesn't look like it. My blood sugar seemed pretty well within the ranges except for one reading which was a bit higher than the range...I didn't have a lot of symptoms the last two days, but did have some lightheadedness and the blood sugar level didn't reflect it. So, back to square one. I didn't notice any particular rapid drop or rise in the levels either. I just don't know anymore.

I'm beginning to think "they" (doctors, nurses, friends, family, flies on the wall) were right when "they" said it could be stress for me. Who knows...maybe I'm turning in the hypocondriach I was trying not to be, lol.

The one good thing that I decided to do in the last two days was to keep a better journal. I've been journalling for 4 years (every since I started working out)...I keep track of what I eat and the amounts of carbs/fats/protein, etc and the activity I do each day and noted a few general comments, usually about sleep, lol, but there isn't a lot of space for keeping track of symptoms and when they appear...so while I can look back over the last 4 years to get general trends for symptoms and what I ate, I don't have a detailed daily record. So, since Monday when I started my blood sugar testing, I've written down EVERYTHING, lol. I've been noting what time I did what, and what time symptoms appeared. I'm hoping I can get a clearer picture of what's going on.

So, to end on a more upbeat and less depressed note, lol, here are some improvements I've seen:

Dairy - I saw a lot of improvement once I cut out all dairy...my sinuses are MUCH clearer and don't feel NEARLY the congestion I used to feel in my chest and throat. I haven't had a sinus infection since October which is just unheard of--I was getting them every 6 weeks. For the first time in maybe 10 years or so, my sense of smell is coming back!

I don't know whether it was the dairy or the gluten, but the pain I felt in both knees went away after cutting out both of them. I actually had gone so far as to be referred to an orthopedic surgeon who did xrays, MRI, etc. He basically said there wasn't a good clear reason why they hurt so bad. Fortunately right after that is when I cut out the dairy and gluten, and the pain went away...I still get an ache ocassionally, but it was a daily, constant pain before that.

SCD - the major improvement I saw after doing this diet even for just a few weeks was that my diarrhea went away. I still have slightly soft stools, but usually just go once maybe twice a day.

So now, it's back to concentrating on eliminating corn and MSG. I may have to give up my beloved nuts and nut butters. :(

dlp, I was also taking some time off from posting. It's not so much that I am down, just not feeling myself. And my head has been swirling with all of this information and I just had to take a step back and regroup.

Sorry you are feeling a little blue about all of this. Our bodies are onions, layers, complicated and complex and it is very challenging trying to figure this all out- and it does take an emotional toll from time to time. I try not to beat myself up when I have a down day. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself a breather from it all, then regroup and get back to it.

christine 25 Newbie
Donna,

Don't be discouraged....I think you're doing great. :)

Even though your blood sugar came out normal its still good that you were monitoring it and now are able to rule it out rather than wondering about it. Thats pretty much what I've been doing the last few years...I took so many tests and even though it seems like it was a waste of time and money...it really wasnt because it told me what I needed to know. I dont worry so much about bigger problems or undiagnosed diseases anymore since everything checks out normal. Its a load off my mind I guess and I have more confidence in myself as far as the answer being in my diet all along.

None of this stuff is easy but we'll get there. Its awesome that you are experiencing alot less pain w/out the gluten and dairy..also that the "d" has improved. Those are all positive signs that you're doing something right for your body. Keep your chin up and be happy that your blood sugar is normal. :)

Hey rachel, You seem to be doing well.

How are things going with you?

Christina

dlp252 Apprentice

Thanks Julie! The onion analogy is a good one...there are several things I'm sure that contribute to all of us not feeling as well as we should...I think I'll keep thinking of it in that way...the gluten was one peel, the casein was another...corn/msg might be the next. One day we'll all get to the core if it all, lol.

Hi everyone!

Thank you for all the info on the banana thing! I also found out that bananas have the same protein as latex and I've been allergic to latex since as far back as I can remember, (you should see the signs and precautions when I need surgery) anyway.... I felt REALLY stupid after I read that! Oh well... again, live and learn. I've been doing a bit better but I've cut out so much.. sucks... the things I definitely can not have is: bananas :blink: , pears, watermellon, canalope, avacatos, ice cream, gluten (of course). And I've cut out all packaged, canned and processed everything. I have missed my diet coke SO MUCH!!!! Ohhhh and I have to tell you all that my eyes keep swelling... at first I thought it was the lotion I would take my make-up off with so I started using olive oil to do that... (I do very well with olive oil)... so now I know it's my brand of eye make-up... has anyone heard of the Aubrey brand of make-up? This is a biggie for me, I'm blond and without eye make-up I look even more sick then I am :P

I never knew latex had a protein, lol, much less the same as banana. Wow. Your no no list is what I've been living on (except the ice cream and gluten of course). Wow.

dlp252 Apprentice

HA! Isn't it amazing how some people can just eat and do any darned thing to their bodies and they are as healthy as can be, lol! I DO eat a lot of fat, lol.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Thanks Julie! The onion analogy is a good one...there are several things I'm sure that contribute to all of us not feeling as well as we should...I think I'll keep thinking of it in that way...the gluten was one peel, the casein was another...corn/msg might be the next. One day we'll all get to the core if it all, lol.

I never knew latex had a protein, lol, much less the same as banana. Wow. Your no no list is what I've been living on (except the ice cream and gluten of course). Wow.

Yeah...its so true (the onion thing). When I was real sick the first person to ever metion food being a problem was a dentist I saw. While I was in his office I had an odwalla and a bag of chex mix on me...he looked at what I was eating and asked me what my diet was like. I told him...he made a face kinda like this :blink:

He then proceeded to tell me I would never get better unless I completely changed my diet to only organic veggies, meat, eggs, water and a couple fruits. Then I returned the look. :blink: I kind of thought he was out of his mind at the time. He gave me the whole onion analogy...telling me that I'd have to peel back each layer to find the causes of my illness. Its very much been like that for me too. One layer at a time I'm getting the answers.

On the latex thing....I have an allergy book and it has all kinds of info in it. I read about the banana/latex connection in that book. If I'm remembering correctly it also mentioned avacados having the same protein. I'll have to reread that but I dont have the book here with me right now.

penguin Community Regular

Fun fact:

Bananas also contain up to 20 micrograms of benzene!

No worries, you'd have to eat A LOT of bananas for it to do any harm. I wouldn't eat a banana while smoking a cigarette though :P

jerseyangel Proficient
Fun fact:

No worries, you'd have to eat A LOT of bananas for it to do any harm. I wouldn't eat a banana while smoking a cigarette though :P

You are just full of good news! :lol::lol:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Fun fact:

Whats benzene?? :huh:

You are just full of good news! :lol::lol:

I make a concerted effort ;)

Bananas are rubber and carcinogenic! Milkshake, anyone? :lol:

Whats benzene?? :huh:

Benzene is a carcinogen, a material known to cause cancer. But seriously, the amount naturally occurring in bananas is way way way under any amount that would make a difference.

Before they knew any better, people used to put it in toothpaste (it smells good) and shampoo. Eek!

dlp252 Apprentice
I make a concerted effort ;)

Benzene is a carcinogen, a material known to cause cancer. But seriously, the amount naturally occurring in bananas is way way way under any amount that would make a difference.

I found this:

"HIGHLIGHTS: Benzene is a widely used chemical formed from both natural processes and human activities. Breathing benzene can cause drowsiness, dizziness, and unconsciousness; long-term benzene exposure causes effects on the bone marrow and can cause anemia and leukemia. Benzene has been found in at least 1,001 of the 1,662 National Priority List sites identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)."

Except for the unconsciousness thing, I have the other symptoms, lol...maybe I've been inhaling to much of my bananas and avocados before eating them, lol. (I'm only half kidding on that, lol).

Rachel--24 Collaborator

:lol::lol: Yeah...thats really great news Chelse!! I'd love a milkshake right now....I dont care what the heck's in it or how carcinogenic it may be....I just freekin want a milkshake!!!

Except for the unconsciousness thing, I have the other symptoms, lol...maybe I've been inhaling to much of my bananas and avocados before eating them, lol. (I'm only half kidding on that, lol).

LMAO Donna!!

You better stop doing that right now....I feel we all have enough problems without adding to them by inhaling benzene fumes off our food!! :lol:

jerseyangel Proficient

I believe they use benzene in the dry cleaning process. :o

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Phew....thats ONE thing I dont have to worry about. I dont get anything dry cleaned....I throw everything in the wash and if its wrinkled...oh well. :lol:

At least my clothes are benzene free even if my bananas arent. :P

I'd believe it! Benzene smells sweet, kind of like artificial banana flavoring. That's why they added it as a fragrance to things. Don't ask me when or where I smelled benzene...probably in one of DH's labs...

Just remember not to directly sniff your bananas and avocados. Waft, people, WAFT!! :lol:

jerseyangel Proficient
Phew....thats ONE thing I dont have to worry about. I dont get anything dry cleaned....I throw everything in the wash and if its wrinkled...oh well. :lol:

At least my clothes are benzene free even if my bananas arent. :P

Me too! :D

dlp252 Apprentice

Okay, okay, I promise NOT to inhale my bananas and avocados...wafting is the key, I will waft. I'm another one who never dry cleans...heck I barely do the laundry anymore...just keep buying new stuff. :ph34r::P

jerseyangel Proficient
Okay, okay, I promise NOT to inhale my bananas and avocados...wafting is the key, I will waft. I'm another one who never dry cleans...heck I barely do the laundry anymore...just keep buying new stuff. :ph34r::P

Ah--a girl after my own heart :D

Rachel--24 Collaborator
:lol: I've been reading everyones posts and haven't laughed this hard in a long time! And all because I worshiped the porcelain God for three hours after my banana :lol:

Love you guys!!!!

:lol::lol: Funny how that happens huh?

I've been cracking up too...sorry you had to worship the porcelain God...but thanx for the laughs!!

Okay, okay, I promise NOT to inhale my bananas and avocados...wafting is the key, I will waft. I'm another one who never dry cleans...heck I barely do the laundry anymore...just keep buying new stuff.

Yeah...I love that!! Clothes are wrinkled...gotta buy new stuff. Uh-oh...stuff is dirty...no time to wash...gotta buy new ones. Ooops got a little stain...probably wont come out...can't have that...gotta go shopping. :D

Yeah...any excuse to get new clothes!! ;)

Archived