This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

CarlaB Enthusiast

For those of you with yeast problems ... someone (I'm not going back to see who :ph34r: ) mentioned probiotics vs. prebiotics, which I had never heard of. I Googled prebiotics, and it's interesting stuff. It seems that certain foods ferment, but don't fully digest, then get to the colon and feed the good bacteria. So, if you're getting probiotics, but not feeding them, they might not proliferate.

I don't show any signs of candida problems, which I have fought in the past after a long round of antibiotics. I happen to eat a lot of the prebiotic food, which I found interesting. I also eat sweets, but don't have a sweet tooth, so I eat them in moderation (i.e. NOT a full pint of Haagen Dazs -- it takes about three sittings to eat a whole pint). Ice cream is about the only sweet I really go for, though I sweeten breakfast with a touch of maple syrup ( very little, just a drizzle).

For me, it must be the prebiotics. I certainly don't have the immune system to keep the candida under control and it makes no sense that I don't have a candida problem.

I cook greens about 3-5 times per week. Back during the contaminated spinach, I branched out and now buy chard and collard greens a lot. I just chop them up and add them to something ... tonight, collards will be added to rice. I'll chop it up small and mix it in along with some olive oil and whatever herbs I am in the mood for. Sometimes I mix the greens with ground beef and veggies and do a one-dish dinner (yesterday it was ground lamb, spinach, carrots, leeks, and gluten-free cream of mushroom soup).

Well, I just found it interesting that there was such a thing as prebiotics and that they make up a significant part of my weekly diet, so I thought I'd share.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CarlaB Enthusiast

I have something else to share, for those of you battling fatigue. As you know, I try to work out even when I'm feeling bad since I read in Burrascano's protocol that exercise is essential to healing. I have noticed the past several times that I feel BETTER after I work out. I felt bad all weekend ... stayed in bed all weekend actually. Today I felt no better, but it was Monday, a work out day, so I finally got up after 11 and dragged myself to the gym. I was planning on sauna-ing and going back to bed, but I felt good enough to do some work around the house, and it's 4:30 and I'm still up!

I don't know WHY this is, but I certainly do feel better after I lift weights. I don't do any cardio.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I'm the same way.

In addition, if I don't exercise, I get extremely cranky. :ph34r:

CarlaB Enthusiast
In addition, if I don't exercise, I get extremely cranky. :ph34r:

When I was healthy, I was like that.

My problem now is that I feel good after I exercise, then after my sauna, my neck, shoulders and back ache like when you have the flu ... I guess that's good because it kills the bugs, but it sure feels bad.

dlp252 Apprentice
Dear dlp252,

I am happy to help in any way I can! Also, avoid items with soy lecithin and soy extracts of any kind, like soybean isolate (in protein powder and a lot of other foods) because it kills the thyroid. Anti-bacterial soap containing triclosan slows it down. Flouridated toothpaste - get rid of it! Flouride is toxic to the thyroid. Flouride is also in tap water a lot. I just remembered these things. I had to cut out peanut butter because I am addicted to it, I cannot stop eating it! I love it! It is high in fat, and hurts me. It does fill me up a long time, but at the cost of being ill, not such a good idea, LOL! I used to be very skinny and all I had to do was cut back on the fat and exercise, and I would lose weight. Only during the past 3 years has it been an issue. You know, maybe your body is stuck in a rut. Perhaps you should try carb cycling. I know how odd that sounds, let me explain. I read how body builders limit their carbs more like every other day so they can get as lean as possible as quickly as they can. They would have fewer carbs one day, then more carbs another day. It is a thought, anyway. Maybe if you try having only 50 or 60 carbs every other day, and 80 carbs the rest of the time, it will help.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

:lol: I'm addicted to peanut butter too....I even took it on vacation with me. :ph34r::lol:

I don't eat soy...I think that is what contributed to my getting so sick the past few weeks. I think that just pushed me over the edge healthwise. I had consummed an entire carton of soymilk in just a few hours. :ph34r: I'll have to check the ingredients of my hand sanitizers. I don't think my toothpaste has flouride...I use Tom's Silly Strawberry...I'll have to check.

I've actually heard of calorie cycling, I imagine carb cycling would work similarly. Never really tried it, but hey, I'm just about at the point where I'm willing to try anything as long as it doesn't make me worse, lol.

dlp252 Apprentice

Carla, I hadn't heard of prebiotics until just the last couple of weeks...and I think I read about it on lymnet...either that or one of the posts here had it in it, but I don't remember there being an explanation...it was just mentioned. I'll have to search for them tomorrow. I know a lot of probiotics have some sort of starch in them already, and the explanation I heard for that was that the probiotics need it to survive....don't know if that is true, but sounds similar to what you are saying.

miamia Rookie
Carla, I hadn't heard of prebiotics until just the last couple of weeks...and I think I read about it on lymnet...either that or one of the posts here had it in it, but I don't remember there being an explanation...it was just mentioned. I'll have to search for them tomorrow. I know a lot of probiotics have some sort of starch in them already, and the explanation I heard for that was that the probiotics need it to survive....don't know if that is true, but sounds similar to what you are saying.

Donna-

didn;t you say your doc reccomended florastor- this is a prebiotic. And it was recommended to me a while back I used to take it for all the reasons carla listed

Miamia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Drive By:

Holy crap this thread is still going?!?!

:wub:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Drive By:

Holy crap this thread is still going?!?!

:wub:

Hi Chelse!!!!

Yeah....we're all still here.....and I have major candida now. :(

How are things going for you?? Is your Crohn's diagnosis official?? Have you started treatment??

Its good to see both you and Tiffany. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I don't think my toothpaste has flouride...I use Tom's Silly Strawberry...I'll have to check.

Donna....I use silly strawberry too! I wonder how many of us are using that same kids toothpaste! :lol: Yeah....it doesnt have flouride. :D

I dont do well with flouride and have avoided it over 3 nows now.

Stupid Flouride. :angry:

penguin Community Regular
Hi Chelse!!!!

Yeah....we're all still here.....and I have major candida now. :(

How are things going for you?? Is your Crohn's diagnosis official?? Have you started treatment??

Its good to see both you and Tiffany. :)

Awww. That sucks, sorry :(

Yes, Crohn's is official official. They didn't find whatever epithelial cells were supposed to be on the lesions that are on my ilium, but dr sent off a gene test for it to prometheus and I had the gene and "enzyme activity" whatever that means. At any rate, I appear to be fairly classic, and my insurance just approved the Remicade so I'll start that soon. Until then, I'm on entocort, which is like a steroid only not, and it's definitely helping.

Wahoo!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Well, I just found it interesting that there was such a thing as prebiotics and that they make up a significant part of my weekly diet, so I thought I'd share.

Carla,

I cant do pre-biotics. My body reacts to anything fermented. There is some debate about eating fermented foods while on a candida diet. I can only speak for myself and I know it totally flares up my symptoms everytime. Fermented products contain yeast....so I never did understand exactly how they are beneficial. :huh:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Yes, Crohn's is official official. They didn't find whatever epithelial cells were supposed to be on the lesions that are on my ilium, but dr sent off a gene test for it to prometheus and I had the gene and "enzyme activity" whatever that means. At any rate, I appear to be fairly classic, and my insurance just approved the Remicade so I'll start that soon. Until then, I'm on entocort, which is like a steroid only not, and it's definitely helping.

Wahoo!

YAY!!

I'm happy for you. :)

Feeling better makes all the diference.....I'm so glad you got a correct diagnosis and are on your way!! Hopefully you'll keep feeling better and better after you start the new med. :)

AndreaB Contributor
Donna....I use silly strawberry too! I wonder how many of us are using that same kids toothpaste! :lol: Yeah....it doesnt have flouride. :D

I dont do well with flouride and have avoided it over 3 nows now.

Stupid Flouride. :angry:

They make the silly strawberry with and without fluoride so you want to make sure you're buying the without fluoride. I've goofed on that. I buy that for the children but buy other TOM for us adults. :)

Hi Chelsea!!!!

Good to see you......you're looking a little on the pale side though. :P

covsooze Enthusiast

Hi everyone!

Carla, it was me who mentioned the prebiotics v probiotics - I saw it on a documentary which studied 2 groups of people who ate the relevant foods. Can't say either way from experience though, as I can't eat prebiotic foods at the mo!

I could really do with some encouragement on this elimination diet. I'm 6 days in and for the past 3 days, it's triggered my depression quite badly, so that I'm really struggling. I'm absolutely exhausted as well. I presume this means I'm herxing or whatever. I'm going to find it hard to stick with this if the depression and fatigue don't lift soon. I feel like I'm falling to bits :( My stomach does feel loads better though, so I'm sure it's the right thing to do but aaaagh!!! I need grains :ph34r:

sorry to whine.

Susie x

CarlaB Enthusiast
Carla,

I cant do pre-biotics. My body reacts to anything fermented. There is some debate about eating fermented foods while on a candida diet. I can only speak for myself and I know it totally flares up my symptoms everytime. Fermented products contain yeast....so I never did understand exactly how they are beneficial. :huh:

Prebiotics are not fermented, they don't ferment until they are at the end of your digestive tract, so they shouldn't affect the candida in a negative way. Perhaps they use the yeast already in your system to ferment? But at any rate, they are not fermented when you eat them.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Hi Chelsea!

Susie, sorry you're feeling bad. Don't give up, then you'll have to start over! You don't want to give up on the things you will be learning from this. I feel much better if I get some exercise (weights and stretching, not cardio), maybe that would help you, too.

I use mint ... no flouride. I don't like anything fruit flavored, not even things like blueberry muffins, ice cream, or candy. If I eat sorbet, it's always chocolate. The only exception is raspberry flavored things, but even then, I'd always choose another flavor if it was available.

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna-

didn;t you say your doc reccomended florastor- this is a prebiotic. And it was recommended to me a while back I used to take it for all the reasons carla listed

Miamia

Yes, I'm on florastor... :lol: who knew, lol!?! I've been taking it for a little over a week now.

dlp252 Apprentice

Hi Chels! I said hi too on your other thread, but I'll say hi here too, lol.

Susie - Yes, the elimination diet is really tough to start with isn't it? I don't think I had any depression, but my energy level was pretty low if I recall, and I think I was hungry a lot. Please stick it out, cuz it does get better. I can't remember...when do you start to add new foods in? I had to wait 11 days before I could add anything. That was almost the hardest part, lol. I'd try the new food, but then wanted to continue eating it for several days, but had to wait the stupid 3 days afterwards. I'm actually starting over again because my doctor agrees that we need to take some stressors off my immune system and getting back to some basic foods that are safe for me would help a lot. He actually doesn't want me to add anything for a while now just to get me back to a good baseline.

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow--it's like old home week! :D

Nice to see Chelsea dropping by....(wrote to you on your thread)

I use Jason Powersmile Toothpaste--no flouride, and the mint is very fresh-tasting. I love it. They also have a cinnamon flavor, too.

Carla--how long can die-off take?

jerseyangel Proficient

Susie,

I forgot and hit the send button :blink:

I was also depressed and anxious while on my elimination diet. Sometimes, depending what the food was doing to me, I would have stomach issues like diahrrea and nausea.

It *is* worth it, though. After you determine what is causing what (and it is a long, pain in the butt process), you may even find other things that clear up.

When I cut out all legumes, for example, my eczema (of 12 years) completely cleared up--and has not returned!! My stomach pain is gone, and I'm not as anxious. Also, I found that anything even related to coconut caused symptoms. Things I would not have even thought of.

Hang in there--and feel free to whine :( --it's not an easy process. You will get there :D

dlp252 Apprentice

I checked my Silly Strawberry and it has FLOURIDE!!! :( I'll have to be more careful next time. I have three tubes of various kinds of toothpaste at home and all three have flouride! :angry:

Stupid flouride! :angry:

I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Rick (HN doctors) yesterday. He was pleased that I'm feeling better after being so sick, but wants me to continue to eat very basic low allergin foods for a while. He explained H.Pylori a little better to me, but most of it's gone now. Anyway, I think the gist of what he said was that it messes with the cells that breakdown proteins in the stomach. Interestingly, protein metabolism came up on my BioSET testing too, supposedly that's been cleared now, lol. ;) So, no wonder I have a problem with candida and leaky gut...nothing has been digesting properly, nothing. :( He said he is pretty certain I have a candida issue, but they haven't tested for it, and when and if they do they'll do it by blood test. They wanted to clear up the plyori first and get me eating foods that my body likes, then see if the candida clears up. He says as my gut heals and my immune system starts doing what it's supposed to, the candida may come under control on its own, but that if it still seems to be a problem, or my system doesn't normalize they'll test for that too. I think I've got that all correct, lol.

AndreaB Contributor

Thanks for the update on your appointment Donna.

I forget. Did you tell them about bioset?

I'll be curious to see how the candida does before they test.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Prebiotics are not fermented, they don't ferment until they are at the end of your digestive tract, so they shouldn't affect the candida in a negative way. Perhaps they use the yeast already in your system to ferment? But at any rate, they are not fermented when you eat them.

Carla....my bad...I got confused. The fermented foods are probiotics....not prebiotics.

I'm totally in a fog the past few days. :(

I think this is my little monthly flare-up.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Carla....my bad...I got confused. The fermented foods are probiotics....not prebiotics.

I'm totally in a fog the past few days. :(

I think this is my little monthly flare-up.

So now you can go to your Bioset lady and tell her you really want collard greens and chard cleared because you REALLY want to add them to your diet!! :lol::lol::lol: Then she'll know you're nuts!! Seems like prebiotics puts your yeast to work in a good way.

Archived