This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

AndreaB Contributor
Andrea, I keep forgetting to tell you what a lovely photo that is of you with your horse, you look so contented. :)

Thanks. :)

All you experts need to stick around here because there could be other people through the months that are looking for answers to questions.......of course if they actually try and take the time to read everything.........nah, too time consuming. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rachel--24 Collaborator
<------------ New avatar

I can't find the raincoat picture. :( I am six in this picture. My hair was that color all the way through college ... it got dark after I had kids. NONE of my kids got my light hair. :(

Carla...how cute you are in that picture!

I thought all of your girls were blonde?? No?? :huh:

A Yurt is like a round tent like structure if I'm not mistaken, lol.

Thanks for clarifying Donna....I had no clue what a yurt was. :unsure:

Susan always comes up with some words I've never heard once in my 35 years. :lol:

Now i am Beverly from Beverly with the nicknmae babs and I MUST have babesia. I am cursed! And my name comes from Old English for "girl from the beaver meadow" :ph34r:

LMAO.....Sorry but I just found this incredibly funny. :lol:

rachel- You're RC story is so funny!

We had only been seeing each other for a short time but knew each other in passing for maybe 10 years...from working for the same company. I guess all that time my ex had thought my name was Rachel Conroy??? :huh:

So yeah...the R.C. thing had come up a couple times...once it was "Can I just call you R.C. for short??" I was totally confused...thinking...short for what??? :unsure:

My name rhymes with Conroy but still....I think someone who's telling you they love you should at least have the name right. :rolleyes:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
So i kept saying "Donde esta Cucina talamanca?" Turns out uhm....cucina in Italy is kitchen but in Spanish it's "dirty woman" so I'm sure many people wondered why I was wandering around my honeymoon lookig for a good cucina

ROFLMAO!!!

OMG Bev....that seriously made me laugh out loud!! :lol::lol:

Even though I dont speak Spanish I do know alot of words. Some of the people I've been in relationships with have been fluent in spanish. I know cucina because my ex used to call me that occassionally....when I was being "bad"...or if I passed gas or something. :lol:

I gotta say...I totally love that ballerina pic...its just so darned cute. :)

Another great set of pictures. Your mom picked well.......she did pick didn't she?

Yup...my mom picked them. She even tells me which one she wants to be my avatar. :lol:

Just be sure you yell out, "God bless that JERK!" :lol:

:lol::lol:

Yeah...thats perfect!!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Drive by for all you Lymeys- can you have babs without Lyme? It was black flies that did the attcking...evil creatures! :ph34r:

Yeah...I'm sure you could.

Also with Lyme and co-infections...you could have them for a long time and never be sick. Some people never get sick....it depends on how many stresses are put on your body and how well your body deals with them.

I didnt get sick from Lyme but it made me very susceptible to the mercury I was exposed to...I wasnt able to handle it....thats when I got sick. Who knows how long I had Lyme before that....I've been camping my whole life but I've always been extremely healthy....not even knowing I had infections. :huh:

My Dr.'s always tell me even though it seems like one thing got you sick...its usually not that one thing at all...its just that that last thing was the straw that broke the camels back. It was just the thing which pushed you over the edge. Things build up for a long time before the "last straw".

I've read about people who were mercury toxic and didnt know it...werent sick at all...until one thing happened. One guy I read about totally lost his health after a spider bite. :blink: After that he found out he was mercury toxic and had to go through all that to get better.

I'm some cases the tick bite is the last straw...because there was other issues already building up. So I've read quite a few times of people getting bit by bugs...not just ticks...and then getting chronically ill.

So because of that I wonder if maybe the black flies were actually the last straw?? If you do have Lyme or Babs or both...you could have had them prior to the biting flies incident.

I keep thinking about the fact that this thread has been here for a year and we are nearly at 1000 pages, this has to be a record of some sort. I am so impressed by the consistent care and friendliness of those here. :wub:

Me too....its something special. A fabulosa (stole that word from you :P ) group of wonderful, considerate, warm and caring people here. :wub:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

New personal pic.

The picture says Aug. 1972....so I was 15 months old. My mom wrote "Rachel and her fancy night gown" in the photo album. I think the jammies were too long...I'm holding them up and I dont look too thrilled. :lol:

I'm also thinking my mom must have had barrets in every color. :huh: In all my baby pics I've got a barret in my hair...and it always matches my outfit exactly. In this case light blue nightie and light blue barret. :lol:

AndreaB Contributor
New personal pic.

The picture says Aug. 1972....so I was 15 months old. My mom wrote "Rachel and her fancy night gown" in the photo album. I think the jammies were too long...I'm holding them up and I dont look too thrilled. :lol:

I'm also thinking my mom must have had barrets in every color. :huh: In all my baby pics I've got a barret in my hair...and it always matches my outfit exactly. In this case light blue nightie and light blue barret. :lol:

:lol:

My daughter would not have liked that either. She does like big things though.

Still cute though. :)

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Rachel, Donna, Bev, and Carla,

I love your new pics! I am still looking for some good ones of mine! I know they are around here somewhere! There are a bunch of old polaroids in an envelope. I just have to find them first!

Dear Carla,

I took four years of Spanish! I can do any accent. I took some French as well. Spanish is my favorite, though. The culture is very open and friendly. My mother says I am fluent, but I do not think I am quite there yet. I am currently trying to learn Mandarin. I know bits and pieces of Japanese and Italian. I just love foreign languages!

Here is something you may not know about Spain. They speak three different languages there.

You must be able to speak Gallego, Espanol, and Euskera in order to get a job there. Spaniards also pronounce words slightly different from Mexican Spanish speakers. They pronounce the z and c in words such as capeza or parece like a th. So instead of saying it like we expect it to sound, it is pronounced cah-pay-thuh or pah-ray-thay. We had a teacher from Spain my sophmore year of high school. She was very unhappy that we had not learned the vosotros/vosotras conjugations.

Dear Rachel,

It sounds like I could get a job where you work! They have so much more in California than here! Why couldn't we have lived there? I speak Spanish well. The culture is really interesting, too.

Dear Rachel's Mom,

Hi! We are proud of your daughter as well. It is wonderful that she shares her knowledge with us. Now, we too can learn and recover. :) There is so much we would not have known if Rachel had not shared. I am in a situation where I had not ever even been mentioned Lyme to me by any physician. I may finally have a clue to some of the strange symptoms I have had.

Dear Bev,

Talk about word mix-ups! You should write to Woman's World and send that in the "Was My Face Red" section! Italian and Spanish words are quite similar sometimes. You do not have to worry about that in Chinese. However, saying the word correctly is extremely important. The wrong pronunciation can change the meaning of the word completely! There are situations where you do not want that!

Dear Nikki,

We love "blow me"! :lol: I love a lot of the English expressions. I think one of the funniest is "Her husband died, the poor old cow!" :lol: If you said that here, people would be like "She is not fat!" :lol: It is amazing how we can speak the same language, and yet mean different things.

Dear Rinne,

Those treats of yours sound so good! Are they low-fat? Either way, I would like 4,000 please.

Thank God we have a freezer! ;) Rinne Bars are the official treat of Rachelville.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice
Just be sure you yell out, "God bless that JERK!" :lol:

New personal pic.

Another very cute pic!

CarlaB Enthusiast
Carla...how cute you are in that picture!

I thought all of your girls were blonde?? No?? :huh:

Thanks :rolleyes: Yes... Adam has blonde hair, too, so I'd really be in trouble if they didn't! But theirs are all dark blonde like his is. Mine was almost as light as the picture through most of college.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Yup...my mom picked them. She even tells me which one she wants to be my avatar. :lol:

She's doing a great job, they're all cute.

My mom has all my pics ... hopefully I'll find the raincoat picture because it's the only other one I have besides some hs and college pictures.

Jin, I spoke with some Spaniards in Mexico. I was out to lunch with my roommate. She was also American, so we spoke in "Spanglish". A guy there with his friend leaned over to our table and said, "Ethtan aqui en vacathioneth?" I said to my roommate that they were from Spain, she asked how I could tell ... I told her the lisp was a dead give-away!

I didn't learn the Vosotros form until college. I took Spanish from 6th grade all through college ... I had more hours in it than in my major! Unfortunately, it's gotten rather rusty. I can read and understand it almost fluently ... but I have trouble with word recall, so speaking is more difficult. Of course, with the babs, I also have trouble with word recall in ENGLISH! :lol:

The thing is, people think you're fluent, but the more of it you learn, the more you realize you don't know. To me fluent is speaking like it's your native language. I got there with accent, but I still felt my vocabulary was lacking.

dlp252 Apprentice

For anyone wishing to actually see what a yurt looks like :lol:

Open Original Shared Link

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Donna--I had no idea what a yurt was :ph34r:

That one looks pretty nice, though....

happygirl Collaborator

FYI...not sure if this one had been posted or not:

Also---I'm not sure if this is completely off the wall or not, but could this be the reason why Dr. Fine thinks pepto bismol in high doses/long periods of time works?!!!!!

Int Microbiol. 2001 Dec;4(4):209-15.

Susceptibility of motile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to ranitidine bismuth citrate.Brorson O, Brorson SH.

Department of Microbiology, Vestfold Sentralsykehus, Tonsberg, Norway.

Gastrointestinal symptoms accompanying Lyme disease have not been considered in the treatment of Lyme patients yet. Here we examine the effect of ranitidine bismuth citrate (RBC) on motile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi in vitro, to determine whether it could cure this bacterial infection in the gastrointestinal tract. When motile forms of B. burgdorferi were exposed to RBC for 1 week at 37 degrees C, the minimal bactericidal concentration (MBC) was > 64 mg/ml. At 30 degrees C, the MBC was > 256 mg/ml. When the incubation lasted for 2 weeks at 37 degrees C, the MBC dropped to > 2 mg/ml. Bismuth aggregates were present on the surface of B. burgdorferi when RBC > or = MBC, as shown by transmission electron microscopy (TEM). Cystic forms of B. burgdorferi, exposed to RBC for 2 weeks at 37 degrees C, were examined by cultivation in BSK-H medium (Sigma B3528). They were stained with acridine orange (pH 6.4, pH 7.4) and studied by TEM. The MBC for RBC for young cystic forms (1 day old) and old cysts (8 months old) was estimated to be > 0.125 mg/ml and > 2 mg/ml, respectively. Bismuth aggregates were attached to the cysts and, in some, the pin-shaped aggregates penetrated the cyst wall. The bismuth aggregates also bound strongly to blebs and granules of B. burgdorferi when RBC > or = MBC. When B. burgdorferi is responsible for gastrointestinal symptoms, bismuth compounds may be candidates for eradication of the bacterium from the gastrointestinal tract.

PMID: 12051564 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mtndog Collaborator

Also---I'm not sure if this is completely off the wall or not, but could this be the reason why Dr. Fine thinks pepto bismol in high doses/long periods of time works?!!!!!

Susceptibility of motile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to ranitidine bismuth citrate.Brorson O, Brorson SH.

Gastrointestinal symptoms accompanying Lyme disease have not been considered in the treatment of Lyme patients yet. Here we examine the effect of ranitidine bismuth citrate (RBC) on motile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi in vitro, to determine whether it could cure this bacterial infection in the gastrointestinal tract. When motile forms of B. burgdorferi were exposed to RBC for 1 week at 37 degrees C, the minimal bactericidal concentration (MBC) was > 64 mg/ml. At 30 degrees C, the MBC was > 256 mg/ml. When the incubation lasted for 2 weeks at 37 degrees C, the MBC dropped to > 2 mg/ml. Bismuth aggregates were present on the surface of B. burgdorferi when RBC > or = MBC, as shown by transmission electron microscopy (TEM). Cystic forms of B. burgdorferi, exposed to RBC for 2 weeks at 37 degrees C, were examined by cultivation in BSK-H medium (Sigma B3528). They were stained with acridine orange (pH 6.4, pH 7.4) and studied by TEM. The MBC for RBC for young cystic forms (1 day old) and old cysts (8 months old) was estimated to be > 0.125 mg/ml and > 2 mg/ml, respectively. Bismuth aggregates were attached to the cysts and, in some, the pin-shaped aggregates penetrated the cyst wall. The bismuth aggregates also bound strongly to blebs and granules of B. burgdorferi when RBC > or = MBC. When B. burgdorferi is responsible for gastrointestinal symptoms, bismuth compounds may be candidates for eradication of the bacterium from the gastrointestinal tract.

Wow- Laura, that was incredible info and I'm going to check into that (researchedness!). BTW- you look so good in all your pics lately (well- you always do but lately you look even happier!!

I WANT A YURT!!!!!!!!!!

NoGluGirl- Yes, that was a very embarassing moment but the nice gentleman and i had a VERY HEARTY laugh! :lol: He thought it was pretty amusing too! Phew! At least it wasn't my husband on his honeymoon asking for the cucinas. They probably would have smacked him!

Carla- You are such a little blondie! One of my college roommates had that beautiful pure blonde hair (almost white) it was stunning! Haven't seen her in ages...wonder if it got darker.

I love seeing all these pics. I have to put one up now of the "awkward years". 9 th grade, 13 years old, braces, and very very preppy! Yes- it's pretty funny!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Laura, that's very interesting ... Pepto is the only medicine of that sort that makes me feel much, much worse. I could never understand how anyone could take it and feel better ... it always made my GI tract worse than it was from whatever upset it to begin with. I guess that was probably due to herxing. It would also sometimes make me throw up, and I'm like Rachel, I seldom throw up.

Bev, my hair was slightly darker near my neck, and you can see from the roots in the picture that it did get lighter in the summer. I did know two real "toe heads" who had that white hair ... they were twins. Their hair did get somewhat darker, but not as dark as mine did ... of course, they were highlighting it at the time!

I see very few natural blondes who are older than their early 20's, but they do exist.

CarlaB Enthusiast

OMGosh! I think everyone owned that sweater in the early 80's!!! Mine was red! :lol: I was a junior/senior in HS. Actually, I wore it several years into college, too.

dlp252 Apprentice

Can someone translate in simple English for me, lol. :lol: Hum, I was taking TONS of Pepto Bismol in December/January as part of the treatment for H.Pylori...wonder what affect that had on what's happening now, lol.

I love seeing all these pics. I have to put one up now of the "awkward years". 9 th grade, 13 years old, braces, and very very preppy! Yes- it's pretty funny!

Very cute...Carla's right I think I had one of those sweaters too--I think mine was blue, lol!

jerseyangel Proficient

Bev--You cute little preppy thing! I had a sweater like that, also. It was in shades of blue--I think it used to be called nordic?

Laura, that was very interesting. I could never use Pepto for an upset stomach, either. It would make me want to throw up. To this day, I hate canadian mint candies because they remind me of Pepto.

CarlaB Enthusiast
To this day, I hate canadian mint candies because they remind me of Pepto.

Even that particular color of pink will make me nauseous! And I usually like pink. I'm actually getting nauseous just talking about Pepto ... maybe I NEED it!

rinne Apprentice
NoGluGirl- Yes, that was a very embarassing moment but the nice gentleman and i had a VERY HEARTY laugh! :lol: He thought it was pretty amusing too! Phew! At least it wasn't my husband on his honeymoon asking for the cucinas. They probably would have smacked him!

Carla, wow were you ever blonde, I can only remember knowing one other person who had hair that light, so pretty. :)

Laura, your scientificness is impressive although I'm not sure I understand it. <_< And you are looking very beautiful in your photos.

Here is a link to information about iodine deficiency and uterine fibroids, also talks about the thyroid.

The World Health Organization says that iodine deficiency is the largest single cause of mental retardation. Iodine also detoxifies the body by removing mercury, fluorides, chlorides, and bromides.

If iodine/iodide are so crucial in the body, why hasn?t there been more research studies published? Dr. Brownstein believes that because iodine cannot be patented there is no incentive for the drug companies to perform the research.

Iodized salt and the iodine supplements usually found in health food stores contain the iodide form of iodine. Dr. Brownstein has had little success treating patients with only iodide. The supplement Iodoral contains both the iodide (reduced) and iodine (oxidized) forms of iodine because the body needs both forms. The US RDA for iodine is 150 mcg. Iodoral contains 100 times (12.5 mgs) the RDA?s requirement of iodine/iodide.

It seems the conventional medical establishment again has grossly underestimated the amount of a nutrient needed for good health. According to Dr. G. E. Abraham, "Of all the elements known so far to be essential for health, iodine is the most misunderstood and the most feared. Yet, it is by far the safest of all the trace elements known to be essential for human health. It is the only trace element that can be ingested safely in amounts up to 100,000 times the RDA. For example, potassium iodide has been prescribed safely to pulmonary patients in daily amounts of up to 6.0 gm/day, in large groups of such patients for several years. It is important however to emphasize that this safety record only applies to inorganic nonradioactive iodine/iodide, not to organic iodine-containing drugs and to radioiodides." [6]

Jin, my treats are low fat, 4000 are on the way. :)

AndreaB Contributor

Rinne,

Thanks for the iodine info. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Andrea! I finally figured out who you remind me of in your new avatar--the actress, Kim Delaney. She was on "All My Children" years ago, and has done other things since. A very beautiful girl...

It was driving me nuts :lol:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Laura,

Thats pretty interesting scientificness. I wonder if it could really work?? :huh:

I've never taken Pepto Bismol...maybe once in my whole life and way before I was sick. I have no idea how it would affect me. :unsure:

So Dr. Fine has found that high doses of pepto is getting rid of symptoms and healing the GI tract?? I had never heard that. What does he say about it??

The results of the study were pretty impressive. I wonder why Bismuth would kill Lyme?? :unsure:

What the heck is Bismuth anyways?? I'm pretty sure that I had high levels of Bismuth on my hair analysis.....I thought it was a bad thing?? :huh:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Donna....the yurts are really cool!! Do people live in those year round?? :unsure:

dlp252 Apprentice
What the heck is Bismuth anyways?? I'm pretty sure that I had high levels of Bismuth on my hair analysis.....I thought it was a bad thing?? :huh:

Bismuth is toxic to H.Pylori, which is why I had to take it in combination with the Prevpac. Maybe it's toxic to other bacteria like stuff.

Archived