This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

jerseyangel Proficient
And Donna! Belt it out! He wouldn't have asked u do it if u weren't capable!!

Yep, that's right! B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mtndog Collaborator

Just popping in to say hi: Hello. :rolleyes:

There's so much good info on this thread- we are PROLIFIC (I love that word) and it's really good to see Alison back.

;)

Carla- You're right. It really helps me right now to hear about how people are progressing and doing better- 15% to 60% in 6 months is pretty awesome!!!!!!!!!! :D :D KILL those critters.

I felt (almost) well enough to take Angus to the dog park. He loves other dogs and I've decided it's good therapy for me too...all the puppies running around and dogs wanting to be pet so I took him anyway. He was playing with this teeny German shepherd puppy who kept hiding between my legs. So cute...I wanted to steal him!

I think I'm still herxing...it's weitd how the symptoms change day to day. Like yesterday it was moodiness and anxiety and today it's my joints (actually I feel strange- like my skin is getting really really dry!).

One interesting thing is that my BM's (yep-TMI coming!) look the most normal they have in years. They are a lovely light brown :P as opposed to the *HEINOUS* tarry black. :ph34r:

Quick question- I know I need to eat but I'm tired and I have NO appetite. What do you guys eat when you feel like this?

Hugs to all :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

DingoGirl Enthusiast
And where are Tom and Susie???? We NEED your humor. I have trouble believing both of you went MIA because you had something better to do than hang with us!

:lol: now WHAT could be better than hanging out w/ you guys? ;)

and oh - I don't have time to be funny just now - gotta pick up my niece.

Looks like it's up to Saxy Spice?

[oh BTW, last night, I got scared, saw that Scott was on, I skee-daddled, dingo tale betwixt legs, I was certain that we were going to get busted for too many shenanigans and too much goofing off - and it was TOTALLY tom's fault, I had nothing to do with it, harrumph :lol::lol::lol: ]

Quick question- I know I need to eat but I'm tired and I have NO appetite. What do you guys eat when you feel like this?

Hi Bev! can't remember if you can have dairy or not? my MOST favorite thing - Trader Joe's Rice PUdding....yum!! :rolleyes:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
GOOD MORNING ALL.

JUST GOT CAUGHT UP ON READING.

NOTHING TO ADD.

HI JUDY..... :)

Rachel - I don't have your email, but I think I know what it is. :P

Really?? :huh: I wonder what gave it away?? :P

Nice surprise with the insurance check. :)

Rachel - sent the article in one email as a Word doc, and in a separate email with just the text in the email...let me know if you don't get them, cuz that means I sent it to someone else. :lol::P

Thanks Donna! I'm sure you got the right address. I'm on my moms account but will check my mail soon as I'm done posting. :)

If some of my family members had to deal with what I go through on a daily basis, I don't think they could do it. Unless you've ever been chronically ill, people just don't seem to "get" it.

TOTALLY!!

I know my mom wouldnt wouldnt be able to handle this at all. However, she feels certain that if she were in my situation she would have never missed one day of work. :blink:

She's very supportive but she really has no clue what this actually feels like.

I was off work for two years...totally disabled by this. I can deal with things alot easier than she can....I think if she had to deal with this for even one day...she would not be able to handle it....let alone having to live it with for nearly 5 years.

But yeah....sure....whe wouldnt miss a single day of work....whatever you say mom. :P

Alison said I should talk to you about my Thyroid. She said caffeine is really bad for a hyper one. The thing is, my bloodwork came back normal. That is so odd. My neck is swollen again (it is Thyroid tissue). It is like having a golfball in my neck. It is weird. Giving up caffeine will be difficult. I feel like I am going to die if I try to go without my coffee!

Which tests did they run for your thyroid??

Did anyone ever check your neck to see if you've got a goiter there?

Yeah...caffeine is definately bad for hyperthyroid. Caffeine would really worsen my symptoms when I had Graves Disease.

Its also not good for candida and leaky gut.

I dont have hyperthyroid anymore...they totally nuked my thyroid in 2003. I still get bad symptoms from cafeine because of everything else I've got going on. Some reactions give me the same type feelings I had from hyperthyroid.

Are you sure your thyroid is hyper? The caffeine just might be making you *feel* this way....thats what would happen to me if I were to indulge...but I've rarely had any caffeine in 4 years now due to the symptoms...and plus its not good for my situation.

I know you dont wanna give up the caffeine and sugar but these are two of the worst things you could be consuming if you've got candida and leaky gut. I think if you *did* eliminate these things you would notice improvement. Probably enough that you wouldnt be too tempted to put it back into your body after you're feeling better.

I would try cutting it out. Alison's right...if you're having problems with your thyroid the caffeine isnt helping. Are you on thyroid meds at all?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Jin,

You're very talented! I was just now able to see your avatar. Very nice! Hope you'll treat us to more of your drawings as time goes on :)

Yeah Jin....WAY cool! B)

I hope you'll be putting up more. Its really good.

I cant draw at all...I pretty much create stick figures with circle heads and feet....oh and hands that look like they belong on Mickey Mouse. :P

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Bev...wow...I'm trying to think about when I last didnt have an appetite. :unsure:

I think I'm pretty much always hungry. :blink:

Glad you feel better and got to go to the park with Angus. :)

I think I might have stole the german shepard puppy if I were you though. ;)

Well at the very least I would have given him a hundered kisses on his cute little nose. I'm known to totally smother baby kittens, puupies, ferrets, etc. :ph34r:

God help my child if I ever have one....poor thing will never have a moment of peace. :P

tom Contributor
Dear Andrea, Donna, and Carla,

Thank you for the compliments on my art! Sometimes these drawings take a while. It depends on the day. I do better when I work quickly. Really these drawings are better in e-mail format. This is due to the fact the details show up. Comicbook art is very detailed.

I want to chime in w/ my compliments as well!

I'm always so envious of those that can produce visual art. :)

I bought a bunch of paints & assoc accessories long ago and failed miserably!

At the time, my gifted 5yr old nephew was drawing amazingly ans soon thereafter was already making his own cute-as-all-get-out comic book.

Made me all the more grateful for the ease with which musical expression came along.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice
Oh man this so reminded me of how much I miss performing.

And Donna! Belt it out! He wouldn't have asked u do it if u weren't capable!!

Yep, that's right! B)

You'll perform again soon, I can just feel it! :P

Um, nope....I think he likes to give new people a chance...and besides, he hasn't heard THIS yet. He may change his mind. :P

Actually, my voice isn't horrible and mostly I can stay on pitch, but it's not great either and I don't think I can keep the nerves out of my voice...I do okay with the group, and they'll certainly be up there with me, but sheesh, all eyes on me for what, like 30 seconds... yikes. :lol:

[oh BTW, last night, I got scared, saw that Scott was on, I skee-daddled, dingo tale betwixt legs, I was certain that we were going to get busted for too many shenanigans and too much goofing off - and it was TOTALLY tom's fault, I had nothing to do with it, harrumph]

Yikes, that would have scared me too, lol!

Bev...wow...I'm trying to think about when I last didnt have an appetite.

I think I'm pretty much always hungry.

Glad you feel better and got to go to the park with Angus. :)

I think I might have stole the german shepard puppy if I were you though. ;)

Well at the very least I would have given him a hundered kisses on his cute little nose. I'm known to totally smother baby kittens, puupies, ferrets, etc.

Ditto on all this. I almost always have an appetite and am not afraid to show it. :P The very few times Carla is probably a good one to answer this since she's said before she frequently doesn't have an appetite. I usually just eat something I like that is easy to fix (as in no fixing), digest and eat.

And ditto on the animal thing....baby animals especially! Dogs in general bring out the fool in me. :P :LOL

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Donna.....I got the emails!!

Great detective work. :lol:

I cracked up "Rachel...is this you?" :lol::lol:

OMG....thanks so much...you're the best!! :)

I have to go back to work but as soon as I get home I'll be heading straight for that article. :D

Yeah...I know I'm expressing my nerdliness a bit too much right now :ph34r: .... but I've been wanting to read more about this since when I first posted about it.

I know of somebody whos done it very recently so gonna try to find out how it went for her. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Carla is probably a good one to answer this since she's said before she frequently doesn't have an appetite.

I think Miamia also has a low appetite.

Me and Donna pretty much rachel everything in sight. :P

tom Contributor
I know you dont wanna give up the caffeine and sugar but these are two of the worst things you could be consuming if you've got candida and leaky gut.

While I do agree 110% w/ this, I also think it's worth making a distinction.

Of course the sugar feeds the beast.

But the negative effects of coffee/caffeine come at the situation (re: candida anyway) from another direction. They kill some of the GOOD bacteria.

I missed coffee SO much for so many months it actually *still* makes me sad.

jerseyangel Proficient
I almost always have an appetite and am not afraid to show it. :P

OMG--me, too! For how sick I usually feel, you'd think I'd be much thinner--but even when I'm nauseous--I have an appetite :blink:

Bev--Probably best to stick to bland, easy things since you aren't in the mood to eat anyway. ;) I little something like a baked potato might feel good. :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Alison said I should talk to you about my Thyroid. She said caffeine is really bad for a hyper one. The thing is, my bloodwork came back normal. That is so odd. My neck is swollen again (it is Thyroid tissue). It is like having a golfball in my neck. It is weird. Giving up caffeine will be difficult. I feel like I am going to die if I try to go without my coffee! Sincerely, Jin

P.S. My new avatar is some art I did. This is Gambit from X-Men.

HI JUDY..... :)

HI RACHEL ....:) BACK AT-CHA!

Which tests did they run for your thyroid??

Did anyone ever check your neck to see if you've got a goiter there?

Are you on thyroid meds at all?

HI JIN

LOVE THE ART WORK TOO.

I WAS GOING TO ASK ABOUT A GOITER.

I HAD TO HAVE ONE REMOVED. IT WAS THE SIZE OF A GRAPEFRUIT..UCK.

I HAD THYROIDITS ALOT AND THEN THE GOITER CAME. MADE MY THYROID 'HYPER..AS I'D ALWAYS BEEN HYPO'

IT WAS ROUGH.

MIGHT WANT TO CK THAT OUT.

A REGULAR DR WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING CAN FEEL A GOITER OR FIGURE OUT WHAT ESLE IT COULD BE.

JUDY

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Patti, Rachel, Judy, and tom,

I am so glad you like my drawing! I will try to put a new one up each day. The tricky part is the details do not always show because the avatar is a smaller picture. I am working on some anime this week. I told myself it is about time I start doing something I enjoy on a daily basis! I owe myself and deserve that much!

Dear Rachel,

I had bloodwork for the T4 and T3 Thyroid hormones. All I got back was a sheet saying they were normal. It is odd that I have double vision, that knot in my neck, and palpitations, but the testing said I am fine. I had an ultrasound run last year on my neck, and that was just swollen Thyroid tissue. My doctor felt around my neck to check it this time, too.

I have been drinking coffee on a daily basis for nearly a decade. I have no idea how to stop. Coffee is my best friend! The Candida can be irritated by it due to the Leaky-Gut and mold content. I recall reading about that in Dr. Crook's book.

Dear tom,

I have been drinking coffee forever. I even drank it as a kid. I love coffee, so does my father. My grandfather loves it as well. It really does make me want to cry thinking about having to give it up!

Dear Donna,

I cannot hear myself sing in a group. I hear everyone else around me instead. I am really not the church choir type.

I really do best with songs like "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse, "Karma" by Alicia Keys, "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, anything by Alanis Moriessette, Sheryl Crow, or Toni Braxton. My voice is not suited for those church songs. I am a second soprano.

Dear Bev,

That herx sounds tough! I am always hungry, I am afraid. I will not be much help on what to eat when you are not hungry. :lol: I hope you feel better soon. As Carla said, those things are very tough. :( HUGS!

Dear Judy,

My doctor felt around on my neck. She was not concerned. I have had it analyzed twice. The first time was in August of 2004. They did a scan on me. The second time was in May of last year, when I had an ultrasound.

Sincerely,

Jin

tom Contributor
[oh BTW, last night, I got scared, saw that Scott was on, I skee-daddled, dingo tale betwixt legs, I was certain that we were going to get busted for too many shenanigans and too much goofing off - and it was TOTALLY tom's fault, I had nothing to do with it, harrumph :lol::lol::lol: ]

I wasn't on at the time and wouldn't have grasped the significance anyway, but I think even the goofiest off-topic posts <hi dingy> have an underlying supportiveness as the basis and therefore should not be frowned upon in the least. :P

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna.....I got the emails!!

Great detective work.

I cracked up "Rachel...is this you?"

OMG....thanks so much...you're the best!!

I have to go back to work but as soon as I get home I'll be heading straight for that article.

Yeah...I know I'm expressing my nerdliness a bit too much right now.... but I've been wanting to read more about this since when I first posted about it.

I know of somebody whos done it very recently so gonna try to find out how it went for her.

I liked the article a lot...I read what you posted a while ago, but somehow this just excited me!

And, at least if it WASN'T you, there wasn't anything personal. :P

I think Miamia also has a low appetite.

Me and Donna pretty much rachel everything in sight.

Oh yeah, Mia with no appetite!

Yep, you and me...so similar in so many racheling ways. :P

OMG--me, too! For how sick I usually feel, you'd think I'd be much thinner--but even when I'm nauseous--I have an appetite

OMGosh yes...I have to be hurling to stop me from eating and even then I have to think hard about NOT eating. :P

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I had bloodwork for the T4 and T3 Thyroid hormones. All I got back was a sheet saying they were normal. It is odd that I have double vision, that knot in my neck, and palpitations, but the testing said I am fine. I had an ultrasound run last year on my neck, and that was just swollen Thyroid tissue. My doctor felt around my neck to check it this time, too.

Sincerely, Jin

JIN-WOW SOUNDS JUST LIKE ME THE PALPITATIONS WERE RUGGED AND MADE ME SO NERVOUS.

DOUBLE VISION TOO..I'D FORGOTTEN THAT ONE. WELL SINCE YOU HAD A ULTRASOUND A YEAR AGO MIGHT BE GOOD TO DO ANOTHER TO COMPARE THEM AND SEE IF THERE ARE CHANGES.

THE BLOOD TESTS FOR THYROID AREN'T ALWAYS THAT ACCURATE I'VE FOUND IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

J

dlp252 Apprentice
I cannot hear myself sing in a group. I hear everyone else around me instead. I am really not the church choir type.

I really do best with songs like "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse, "Karma" by Alicia Keys, "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, anything by Alanis Moriessette, Sheryl Crow, or Toni Braxton. My voice is not suited for those church songs. I am a second soprano.

I actually sing Tenor or alto, but alto is sometimes a bit high.

I am so busy trying to learn choir and small group songs that I haven't listened to any other music in about 7 years. :( I don't even know what's popular anymore. :P I'm remembering my favorites like Led Zeppelin, Journey, Aerosmith, etc. If I hadn't told you all how old I was, that'd do it. :lol:

rinne Apprentice

Carla- You're right. It really helps me right now to hear about how people are progressing and doing better- 15% to 60% in 6 months is pretty awesome!!!!!!!!!! :D :D KILL those critters.

I'm doing better too. I've gained back some weight, enough that I feel like I could lose five pounds. :ph34r::lol:

I've done this through diet, nutritional supplements, detox,nutraceticals and making every effort to appreciate the life I have regardless of the challenges.

I'd say I am about 70% which given that last year I felt like 20% and that 20% was all pain is a huge improvement.

When I couldn't eat and didn't want to I often made chicken soup with rice. A few times when it was really awful, not the soup :lol: , I ate Hagan Daas strawberry ice cream. I did not rachel it. :lol:

Jin, excellent drawing, you clearly have a very good eye. :)

As for coffee, the first few days are the hardest, it may be easier to taper off slowly, I know I have suffered headaches when I gave it up too quickly. You could also try having it as a special treat once a week for a while. :)

I was a long time coffee drinker and still once or twice a week will have about a third of a cup of coffee, I do it knowing that I will have pain. :ph34r:

Hi everyone, just puttering along today.

dlp252 Apprentice

Rinne!! What's a nutraceutical???!!! I asked this a few 100 pages ago :lol: I think and I don't think we ever came to a consensus. I have one liquid vitamin that says not to take within 2 hours of nutraceuticals, and for the life of me I don't know what it is. :P

tom Contributor
I have been drinking coffee on a daily basis for nearly a decade. I have no idea how to stop. Coffee is my best friend! The Candida can be irritated by it due to the Leaky-Gut and mold content. I recall reading about that in Dr. Crook's book.

Dear tom,

I have been drinking coffee forever. I even drank it as a kid. I love coffee, so does my father. My grandfather loves it as well. It really does make me want to cry thinking about having to give it up!

Oh me-o-my-o it IS hard to quit coffee.

I didn't start 'til college, but that still made ~26yrs of daily java. [sidebar: on the island of Java, they have no idea what I mean]

As we all know, hard doesn't equal impossible. You practically have to enter into it w/ the same type of attitude as a herx. That is - the badness will be temporary and for the greater good.

I thought about coffee ~ every 5 seconds (if not MORE often!) those 1st mornings w/out.

And for 2 or 3 days, a mild migraine paid a visit! Nowhere near the severity of pre-gluten-free migraines, several of which I named (e.g. ball-peen hdache), but I'm positive a migraine nonetheless. (Light & sound issues etc)

Very hard also to sit there those days knowing that a single cup would make it go away. (Didn't test so I suppose I may have been wrong)

In spite of the difficulty, I did it, and was no longer allowing a daily freaking *drink* to negatively impact my efforts at improved health.

*I* did it and I know damn well u can to. Whenever u decide to.

AndreaB Contributor
Almond butter--I love (a little too much :ph34r::P ) Woodstock Farms. I like it better than Maranantha, and at 7.99 for a 16 oz. jar, it's more reasonable.

I really wish I could eat peanut butter :lol:

Maranatha is the only organic brand I've seen. I'll have to look around some more.

I wish we could eat pb too. Much less expensive.

I wouldn't worry about it. This thread is very supportive and that support takes on different ways at different times. The humor, or shenanigans as you put it, is much needed.

I wasn't on at the time and wouldn't have grasped the significance anyway, but I think even the goofiest off-topic posts <hi dingy> have an underlying supportiveness as the basis and therefore should not be frowned upon in the least. :P

I agree.

rinne Apprentice
Rinne!! What's a nutraceutical???!!! I asked this a few 100 pages ago :lol: I think and I don't think we ever came to a consensus. I have one liquid vitamin that says not to take within 2 hours of nutraceuticals, and for the life of me I don't know what it is. :P

Donna, I am thinking nutraceticals are the Samento, Noni, etc.

Humor is essential to this thread, it may even be the best medicine so Susan consider yourself a doctor of laughter. :) You are needed and appreciated. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Tom, such self-discipline, good for you and yes I think you are right, the headache would have gone away. :ph34r::lol:

AndreaB Contributor

Bev,

I forgot :ph34r: . I don't have any real good ideas for you with having no appetite. You need to figure out something easy to digest that is still packed with nutriets you need.

Was is Rinne who posted about broth with rice/chicken? Potatoes sound good....with skins.

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas. :(

I'm more of a Racheler too. There are times when nothing I have available sounds good though. If it's during the week I don't eat much, on the weekends hubby finds or makes something for me to eat.

dlp252 Apprentice
Oh me-o-my-o it IS hard to quit coffee.

Yes indeed! I haven't had any since November. I STILL want it...there is an expresso machine in our small kitchen at work, and every day it reminds me that I want a Starbucks Sugarfree Vanilla Latte so badly. :P

Donna, I am thinking nutraceticals are the Samento, Noni, etc.

Hum, I wonder what happens if you take it within two hours. I am taking cumanda (alternating two weeks on/off with banderol) and I suspect chlorella might be considered a nutraceutical as well. Sheesh...I'm taking a whole bunch of herbal stuff.

Hum, maybe I should contact the manufacturer and see what they mean and what happens if you take them together. There is no way in the mornings I can take them separately...I have to leave my house by 5:15 and I can't bring them to work with me. :(

Archived