Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lorka150

gluten-free/cf Comfort Food Recipes...

is the frosting cf?

for Jkmunchkin

the graham crackers I make are from Mona's mixes, she is located in Woodinville, Washington. I love her pancake mix to. If you go to her website she has many mixes and you can buy a sampler package to try. She has many recipes on her site using her mixes of course. I make the cinnmona grahams from her recipe. I also dip them in choc or mint choc. spread with peanut butter then choc. or marshmallow cream ...I just used them for the bottom of my cheesecake too.You probably could use any gluten-free mix but I used hers.

She is also very nice .......

mamaw

for Jkmunchkin

the graham crackers I make are from Mona's mixes, she is located in Woodinville, Washington. I love her pancake mix to. If you go to her website she has many mixes and you can buy a sampler package to try. She has many recipes on her site using her mixes of course. I make the cinnmona grahams from her recipe. I also dip them in choc or mint choc. spread with peanut butter then choc. or marshmallow cream ...I just used them for the bottom of my cheesecake too.You probably could use any gluten-free mix but I used hers.

She is also very nice .......

mamaw

Which mix did you use?

mmm i just made poutine with homemade gravy, homemade fries, and vegan cheese............

I always used to have cheeseless quesidias (sp?) with guacamole instead. I just recieved my latest chebe order with their new plain bread (DF/gluten-free) that I am going to make into tortiallas - I think I just figured out my lunch tomorrow!

mmm great idea! but i'll kick the guac (yuck!) and add vegan cheese (yum!)

None of these are foods I can eat. I'm holding out hope that someone will post a comfort food I can have.

What are the foods you can't have? If you let us know I bet someone here knows of something.

I posted this one back in February. Cheap, easy, and tastes good!

Greek Rice (has nothing to do with greece, just a family recipe)

1 lb ground beef (I suppose turkey would work, too)

2 c. chicken broth (I usually use boullion and make it strong)

1 c. rice

1 tbsp margarine or oil

Serve with:Applesauce

Put rice and oil/margarine into a large saucepan (we use a wok, actually :) ) and saute over medium high heat (like you're cooking rice a roni) until lightly toasted. Add chicken broth and bring up to a boil. Once boiling, break apart the raw hamburger and drop the pieces into the pan. Cover and cook over low heat until all the broth is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve with applesauce!

The applesauce sounds strange but it's really good, I know I mix the applesauce right into the rice on the plate :lol:

It is so comforting, and only takes like, 30 mins. YUMMY! I need to make some soon!

I don't know if this would really be considered a comfort food....but one of my favorite foods these days is young coconut. It satisfies an ice cream craving...but it's gluten, dairy, soy, corn, etc. etc. etc. free. It's comforting...and energizing...and all you need is a spoon and a straw (and well, I'd recommend buying the ones that already have the top cut off :) )...

Thanks for the reply. My list of allergies is extensive, and it includes gum -- which is one of the most difficult allergens to deal with.

Where comfort food is concerned, I'd love to be able to eat sandwich bread -- that was always a comfort food. However, I can't find a viable recipe. I know it's technologically possible to make a bread I can eat with the ingredients available, but I need a recipe to work with. HEre are the ingredients I can work with.

millet flour

rice flour

baking soda

vitamin C

salt (NOT seas salt)

honey

agave nectar

If anyone has thoughts, I'd welcome them. Bread used to be a comfort food... I just need to figure out how to make it.

as a rule of thumb, omitting xanthan works better in smaller baked goods... you might want to try pitas, bagels, buns, muffins, before a loaf of bread. can you have baking powder? or just soda? what about egg replacer?

i can help you for sure - i just need more info :)

I don't know if this would really be considered a comfort food....but one of my favorite foods these days is young coconut. It satisfies an ice cream craving...but it's gluten, dairy, soy, corn, etc. etc. etc. free. It's comforting...and energizing...and all you need is a spoon and a straw (and well, I'd recommend buying the ones that already have the top cut off :) )...

Young Coconut? YOu mean the actaul fruit? Where you get it, do you have to prepr it at all? sounds tasty!

Young Coconut? YOu mean the actaul fruit? Where you get it, do you have to prepr it at all? sounds tasty!

Yep the actual fruit. 100% coconut and nothing else. You can drink the water and scoop out the actual fruit and it is soooooo good. All you have to do is stick a straw or a spoon in it. It tastes particularly awesome right after a workout. I get it at Whole Foods. I've seen them at lots of different health food stores.

I recommended it to a friend once and she fogot to buy the one that was already cut open - ended up having to throw it against a curb :lol: Definitely worth looking for next time you're at a health food store though. :)

Yep the actual fruit. 100% coconut and nothing else. You can drink the water and scoop out the actual fruit and it is soooooo good. All you have to do is stick a straw or a spoon in it. It tastes particularly awesome right after a workout. I get it at Whole Foods. I've seen them at lots of different health food stores.

I recommended it to a friend once and she fogot to buy the one that was already cut open - ended up having to throw it against a curb :lol: Definitely worth looking for next time you're at a health food store though. :)

Cool, Are they advailbe year round? Sounds Very yummy, I might have to blow some gase money tommoro looking! :D

I prefer the nail and hammer method. LOL

Cool, Are they advailbe year round? Sounds Very yummy, I might have to blow some gase money tommoro looking! :D

I think so. I bought one yesterday... :)

I prefer the nail and hammer method. LOL

LOL :lol:

Nail & hammer for me too!!!! Plus we use the shell for a birdhouse!!! The birds love it. I love to drink the milk.. This brings back childhood memories for me.

thanks for the memory

mamaw