Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lisaemu

20 Year Old College Student

Hey guys I'm relatively new to this and kind of struggling, but I've finally accepted the need to be gluten freee. I don't know anybody else who has celiacs, or even anybody who knows what it is. Makes it kind of difficult, and itd be nice to have someone to talk to who knows what its like.

Hi Lisa--Glad you found us! When I was diagnosed last year, I had never heard of Celiac--much less knew anyone with it. Finding this board has been a lifesaver for me. Drop in anytime--just to chat with others who know exactly what you're going through. There's a wealth of information here, too. Read the older posts and always feel free to ask any questions you have. It really does get easier the longer you do gluten-free. :)

Hey I am close to your age too and would be willing to help you if you need anything, we might have some of the similar frustrastions and could help each other with products and keep each other up to date on things. Just let me know if you need anything!

Hi Lisa,

I'm a college student in MI, too. It's a big adjustment going gluten free, and it definitely is something that a lot of other people will find strange. However, I've found that my friends at school are really supportive. If you're going to school in Southeast MI anwhere, there is a gluten free food fair in one of the suburbs just west of Detroit. I'll be there because I live right around here. Let me know if you want to meet up.

Heather

Hey I am close to your age too and would be willing to help you if you need anything, we might have some of the similar frustrastions and could help each other with products and keep each other up to date on things. Just let me know if you need anything!

Thanks for your offer- I might be taking you up on that! Overall I've accepted, its just hard that most people don't know what it is or understand the need to be really vigilent. How long have you been gluten-free for?

Heather which school do you go to? I go to EMU, I just transferred here this semester from Central. I heard about that food fair and thought it'd be awesome to go to, but I have an Earth day 5k in South Lyon. What time is it at?

Hey Lisa!

I was also diagnosed in university in my early twenties - I totally understand your 'pain'! (Or lack thereof, now :))

It's nice to meet you, and if you help / support, let me know.

Lisa,

You're not too far from me! I go to Cranbrook Art Academy, so I'm over here in Bloomfield Hills. There's actually another girl here who has Celiac's, too. The food fair is from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM at The First Presbyterian Church of Farmington (26165 Farmington Road, Farmington Hills). I hope you can make it.

Heather

PS. If you're ever in this neck of the woods, there's a great little cafe that's 100% gluten free and they have pizza!! It's called Belcibo, in Clawson.

Hi. I'm 22 and was also diagnosed while I was 19, and at university and found it really hard. If you want any advice, help or just to talk, just email me - katie_orourke_11@hotmail.com

Take care and good luck with the diet :) x

Hey guys I'm relatively new to this and kind of struggling, but I've finally accepted the need to be gluten freee. I don't know anybody else who has celiacs, or even anybody who knows what it is. Makes it kind of difficult, and itd be nice to have someone to talk to who knows what its like.

Hey Steph, I'm a 21 year old college student who just figured it out myself. It's bloody hard to handle, especially in college. But I've had some luck. Feel free to email or IM me sometime and we can share ways to make it easier.

I'll be 20 next month, I was diagnosed three months ago, I completely feel your pain. Feel free to contact me.

Well, you can read my "I'm a lazy single girl with Celiac Disease" blog: http://www.nothanksglutenfree.blogspot.com for starters! I just did a special post about dealing with hangovers on a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free diet, so there's that! :rolleyes:

Also, I'm 23 and was diagnosed a month after I graduated college, so I hear ya! I also went to Western Michigan University and grew up in the state. I live in Boston now, but I'm hear to talk if you need me!

-Sally