This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Duncan Hines No Longer gluten-free

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

What is wrong with these food manufacturers????????? On the new Clan Thompson list the Duncan Hines frosting called Homesytle that used to be gluten-free is no longer listed as such. I contacted Lani and she said in Feb. they told her they ae now adding Barley Malt. Great. It is at least listed that way and the can I have in the fridge is okay as the stuff has shelf life of forever so I got lucky as I don't think I checked the label (hey I'm still new) but anyway if anyone knows of other gluten-free ready made frostings please list them. Oh and please don't tell me how to make my own frosting.....I don't like frosting that much and I sure don't need the empty calories to go to that much trouble to have it. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I forgot to include some info about gluten-free Bakehouse stuff being discontinued. It is not going away which was a rumor earliet today on another Celiac forum. They pulled it from some Canada shelved due to some label problems. Lee Tobin said that will be resolved soon but he also said they are about to introduce sourdough bread and hamburger buns. I can't stand KK buns (unlike most of you) so I'm totally psyched! I hope the gluten-free bakehouse buns are edible. Plus yummy sourdough.....oh I hope it's similar to the good stuff out in SF.

VydorScope Proficient

WHen I was in Kroger getting ice for my birthday cake, I checked them all. The ONLY brand that my kroger carries in the mainstrem products that was gluten-free (and DF) was Pillsburry.

But guess what? Pillsbury told Lani (Clan Thompson) they don't test for barley in their ready-made frosting and will only call out wheat on their labels. So Lani does not Pillsbury on her safe list either. She is still looking for other brands that are safe to add to the list. If you didn't get sick from Pillsbury my guess is it could be gluten-free but of course since they say they don't even test it to be gluten-free and most all other frostings have barley of wheat in them, I'm not taking any chances. I'm not sure I'd know if there were only trace amounts in something like frosting.

Guest nini

I've had the Pillsbury frostings with no probs... but I prefer to make my own. With my handy dandy stand mixer it's actually really really freakin easy and my silly daughter loves it that I can make it PINK if she so desires!

VydorScope Proficient
But guess what? Pillsbury told Lani (Clan Thompson) they don't test for barley in their ready-made frosting and will only call out wheat on their labels. So Lani does not Pillsbury on her safe list either. She is still looking for other brands that are safe to add to the list. If you didn't get sick from Pillsbury my guess is it could be gluten-free but of course since they say they don't even test it to be gluten-free and most all other frostings have barley of wheat in them, I'm not taking any chances. I'm not sure I'd know if there were only trace amounts in something like frosting.

Oh no. I did get sick, but I blamed milk the mix..... :blink::blink:

celiac3270 Collaborator

Argh... now I need to find a new frosting (other than the Duncan Hines homestyle).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 - you changed your font for us old folks to read like I asked - thanks!

celiac3270 Collaborator

Ha :lol: . No problem :D

Actually, I have another suggestion about font sizes if you have trouble reading the actual posts, or any other signatures. For those who use Mozilla Firefox, if you ever run across a site with font too small (or a forum page), hold ctrl and press the + button. It makes all of the font larger. Likewise, ctrl and - makes it smaller. Unfortunately, Microsoft isn't smart enough to include that in IE.

plantime Contributor
... but I prefer to make my own. With my handy dandy stand mixer it's actually really really freakin easy and my silly daughter loves it that I can make it PINK if she so desires!

:lol::lol::lol: Nini, my niece and her kids like to make it purple! :lol::lol::lol:

Guest nini
:lol::lol::lol: Nini, my niece and her kids like to make it purple! :lol::lol::lol:

very cool! I get the Kroger Powdered Sugar and use the recipe on the back of the bag... I mix all the wet ingrediets with the softened butter first and then add the powdered sugar... stirring it up before I turn the stand mixer back on and it mixes so fast and easy! I like it cos I know exactly what's in it and there are no preservatives (which I am discovering I am sensitive to)...

VydorScope Proficient

What is a "stand mixer" ?

jkmunchkin Rising Star
What is a "stand mixer" ?

Like one of those Kitchen Aid mixers.

• 1 month later...

Duncan Hines has now reinvestigated their Creamy Homestyle frostings (canned) and they are gluten free...excpet for maybe strawberry for some reason. I'm going to try Jerseyangels recipe for frosting one day though - I think even I can do that one.

penguin Community Regular
Duncan Hines has now reinvestigated their Creamy Homestyle frostings (canned) and they are gluten free...excpet for maybe strawberry for some reason. I'm going to try Jerseyangels recipe for frosting one day though - I think even I can do that one.

I read that too, for some reason they put barley in the strawberry flavor. I don't know about you, but I've never run across a strawberry that needed barley to enhance the flavor <_<

Stupid artificial flavorings :rolleyes:

Girl Ninja Newbie

I'm not a huge frosting fan either. I like to use Cool Whip. You can mix in a little bit of Jello powder to get different colors and flavors.

Jennas-auntie Apprentice

ChelsE, yes I agree with you about who needs barley malt to flavor strawberries? Artifical strawberry flavoring is amazingly comlicated though! Typically it contains between 40-60 ingredients. Why can't they just put strawberry in it? Here's a list of what commonly goes into "artificial strawberry flavoring"....The McDonald's strawberry shake has more, it has 59 ingredients. This is from the Burger King shake.

amyl acetate,

amyl butyrate,

amyl valerate,

anethol,

anisyl formate,

benzyl acetate,

benzyl isobutyrate,

butyric acid,

cinnamyl isobutyrate,

cinnamyl valerate,

cognac essential oil,

diacetyl,

dipropyl ketone,

ethyl acetate,

ethyl amyl ketone,

ethyl butyrate,

ethyl cinnamate,

ethyl heptanoate,

ethyl heptylate,

ethyl lactate,

ethyl methylphenylglycidate,

ethyl nitrate,

ethyl propionate,

ethyl valerate,

heliotropin,

hydroxyphenyl-2-butanone (10 percent solution in alcohol),

a-ionone,

isobutyl anthranilate,

isobutyl butyrate,

lemon essential oil,

maltol,

4-methylacetophenone,

methyl anthranilate,

methyl benzoate,

methyl cinnamate,

methyl heptine carbonate,

methyl naphthyl ketone,

methyl salicylate,

mint essential oil,

neroli essential oil,

nerolin,

neryl isobutyrate,

orris butter,

phenethyl alcohol,

rose,

rum ether,

g-undecalactone,

vanillin, and

solvent.

According the the Guardian, the reason they do this is because they are always doing taste tests with kids and kids want more of a "bubblegum" strawberry type flavor rather than real strawberry.

mouse Enthusiast

On the Clan Thompson site they have now posted that this frosting is NOW gluten-free again. I hope I read that right, but who knows with the way I have been feeling. :blink::ph34r:

penguin Community Regular

This is the gluten alert Clan Thompson sent to it's subscribers on June 6th:

Hello,

Food SmartList subscribers should note that Carnation Instant Breakfast - Ready to Drink (strawberry) is no longer gluten free. This product now contains barley.

Also...we placed another call to Duncan Hines regarding their Creamy Homestyle Frosting since the labels no longer list barley malt as an ingredient. The company now says these frostings are gluten free. They added that while there are no gluten containing ingredients in the product, there is a possibility of cross contamination since they are not made on dedicated lines.

Best wishes,

Lani K. Thompson

www.clanthompson.com

Serving the Celiac Community since 1997

So floridanative and I got our wires crossed about the strawberry since the carnation stuff was in the same message. :P

shai76 Explorer

I got sick from Pillsbury frosting. I was vomiting, and pooping bloody mucus.

Jennas-auntie Apprentice

Thanks guys for letting us know the strawberry is also gluten free for now!

shai76 Explorer

I talked to a lady from Pillsbury on the phone and she said that all their frostings are gluten free. They do have corn in them though. Maybe that is what made me sick. I just know that it tastes really good, but makes me feel like barfing all day long. It sucks too because I have all this carrot cake in my fridge and I can't eat it at all. My son can only eat little bits at a time, and my husband would rather eat chocolate. Oh well. :/

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Here's a ridiculously quick ganache-type (heavy, not fluffy) frosting that is also obscenely good as hot fudge:

melt one cup semisweet chocolate chips and 1-2 tablespoons butter for 30 seconds in the microwave

Stir, microwave another 30 seconds

Add 3-4 Tablespoons of heavy cream and stir

Microwave another 15-30 seconds and you are done!

This takes maybe 3 minutes to make. It should cover 1 8-inch layer. I'm sure you can double it--just microwave a little longer. It's great on ice cream--it hardens kind of like the "Magic Shell," but it's creamier and has no disgusting ingredients! After all, why should we pay obscene amounts of money for the privilege of eating foul-tasting chemicals that give us the runs?

• 5 months later...
Guest Villanfam

I know that nobody has posted for a while, but just in case somebody reads this I want them to have up to date info. Duncan Hines frosting def. is NOT gluten free!! I had written to them the other day and this is what they replied today:

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Corporation

and the products we produce which might be gluten-free. We appreciate

your interest in our company and our products.

At the present time, Vlasic® Pickles, Sauerkraut and Peppers and Log

Cabin® Country Kitchen syrup are gluten-free. The vinegar used in

production of these items is corn-based, rather than wheat-based. Other

items in our product lines (which include Swanson® frozen foods and Open

Pit® barbecue sauces) generally contain wheat-based ingredients in the

form of modified food starches and other thickening agents. The Duncan

Hines Frostings are not gluten free.

While our manufacturing facilities follow generally accepted good

manufacturing practices, we do not have the flexibility of segregating

production lines for the exclusive production of wheat-free items. We

recommend that you review the list of ingredients on the package prior to

purchase to assure that you are meeting your specific dietary needs. Since

we are constantly improving our products, ingredients may change from time

to time.

We appreciate the time you've taken to share your specific concerns with

us, because it helps us to become aware of consumer needs. We hope you

find this information helpful.

Sincerely,

Mary Orlando

Consumer Services Representative

I have posted this info on other posts as well. Pillsbury just called me back TODAY and told me all of their frosting are gluten free except Coconut, and Pecan. Their words exactly "It does not contain any flour or grains of wheat, rye, barley, malt, oats, tricticale, or any of their derivatives."

• 2 weeks later...
brendygirl Community Regular

I just bought some Chocolate homestyle and it doesn't say barley on the label and I didn't get sick.

My FAVORITE used to be the 7 minute packet you buy at the store and beat on high with hot water that is super gooey and fluffy.

So now, I just eat marshmallow FLUFF.

Archived