• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

odcdinah

Excellent Blueberry Muffins

Rate this topic

Over the weekend, I tried Whole Foods Gluten Free bakehouse blueberry muffins (in the freezer at my store) and they were great! Would have never known the difference from regular ones!

I almost bought them, but I make my own that the whole family loves.

glad you liked them!

I almost bought them, but I make my own that the whole family loves.

glad you liked them!

Recipe please? I can't bring myself to buy the Whole Paycheck gluten-free Scamhouse muffins at a whopping $8 for 4...

LOL..I agree!!

heres the basic recipe, easy and moist

1 1/4 Cups white rice flour

1 Cup brown rice flour

1/2 Cup tapioca Flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1/3 Cup sugar

mix all ingredients together and store in large freezer bag

to make muffins, to 1 Cup of flour mix, beat together:

2 eggs

1/2 tea. vanilla

2 Tablespoons oil [ I use unsweetened applesause]

1/3 Cup non-dairy liqiud [i use rice milk] you can use milk

pour into flour mix, beat till smooth

add ins..chocolate chips, blueberries, raisins,mixed berries..or make cinnamon & sugar muffins

makes 6 muffins

enjoy :D

[Thanks for sharing the recipe.

At the moment, I need to be satisfied with buying them ready made (no time to bake) and the price wasnt' horrible at my store - $5 for 4 muffins.

What state are you in? Here in California, they really are $8 for four and usually hard as rocks (they're not in the freezer section).....I refuse! Good to know they're good if one's in a pinch, but I am excited about the recipe from Betty :rolleyes:

Betty--those look delicious! I'm going to try your flour mix--I will just substitute potato starch for the tapioca--can't tolerate tapioca! I've been using the GFP Muffin and Scone Mix--very good, but a little expensive, and I'd rather have something on hand to use anyway. Thankx :D Oh--what brands of flour do you use--I normally use Ener-g, but am open to trying something different.

Ughh. I was at Whole Foods yesterday and really wanted to try their cranberry orange scones. They had 3 packages out, all marked as "sell by 4/27" and they ALL had mold on the bottom. When I asked if they had more in the freezer, I was told that everything they had was out on the shelf. I was looking for a breakfast treat, but they didn't even have the muffins. Grrr... this was the Whole Foods in Philly, I would have expected that they would have been better stocked!

- Lauren

Ughh. I was at Whole Foods yesterday and really wanted to try their cranberry orange scones. They had 3 packages out, all marked as "sell by 4/27" and they ALL had mold on the bottom. When I asked if they had more in the freezer, I was told that everything they had was out on the shelf. I was looking for a breakfast treat, but they didn't even have the muffins. Grrr... this was the Whole Foods in Philly, I would have expected that they would have been better stocked!

- Lauren

Yea Lauren--I would have, too. I go to the one in Marlton, NJ and they always have more stuff in the freezers both in the back, and in the take-out food area. Sorry you couldn't get a treat for breakfast :(

patti, the white rice I use is bobs red mill..the brown rice is arrowhead mills.

I almost always substitute oil/butter for applesause, yes, it helps with the fat and calories [hubbys on a diet] but it does seem to make the recipes more moist, besides none of use needs all that oil, its not healthy

I keep a big bag of the mix made up in the fridge, it makes it so quick to throw 6 muffins in the oven...next time I'm making 12, my 19 year old son polished off 3 in 2 minutes :huh:

the blueberry muffins at my whole foods are not in the freezer section, but the gluten-free bakery section and man are they good. so good. I love the little sugar sprinkles on top. love em. a great treat if you can find em. I cant always find em but when i do, i feel like i've won the lottery.

Yea Lauren--I would have, too. I go to the one in Marlton, NJ and they always have more stuff in the freezers both in the back, and in the take-out food area. Sorry you couldn't get a treat for breakfast :(

Aww, thanks Patti - where is Marlton? I go to school in Philly, so it's easy for me to swing by the Whole Foods on 20th and Callowhill. Usually they have a better selection - maybe it was because I was there on a Sunday? I really wanted to try those scones, or maybe the Morning Glory Muffins. The muffins are listed on their flyer, but I've never seen them available. Anyone tried them?

- Lauren

Sounds great... so the sugar is put in the mix too?

yes, all the dry ingredients are mined together