This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chicken Recipes

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

hi guys, I eat chicken [mostly boneless] 5 to 6 nights a week, I could really use some new recipes. I can't have dairy, pasta sause or spicy food

do you have any family favorites you'd like to share?

thank you!

Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

I don't really measure, but I'll try to describe our favorite chicken recipe. It's Indonesian style Coconut Curried Chicken. (It's mild, not spicy, but you can use saffron or tumeric if you want to avoid all spice.)

About 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces

1 small onion

1/2 can coconut milk

1 tsp. salt

1-2 tsp mild curry powder

1 small grated carrot

handful of raisins

chopped apple

Brown the chicken and onion in a pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Add the coconut milk, salt and curry powder. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Add carrot, raisins and apples, simmer 5-7 minutes more. Serve over rice.

francelajoie Explorer

I love to stuff my chicken breast with sundried tomatoes and fresh basil. Brown it on stove top, transfer to oven until cooked through. Drizzle with a basil and garlic infused olive oil. I do sprinkle mine with parmesan cheese.

awesomeame Explorer

some of my favs

oven "fried" chicken:

-1 egg

-1/2 tsp ground thyme

-1/2 tsp rosemary

-1/2 tsp oregano

-1/2 tsp basil

-1/2 tsp salt

-1/2 tsp pepper

-8 chicken thighs, skinless/boneless

-1/2 cup all purpose flour

-preheat oven to 425*F, grease rimmed baking sheet

-in bowl, whisk together egg and spices

-place flour in separate bowl

-one at a time, dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, letting excess drip off. then coat in flour, shake off excess.

-place on greased baking sheet

-bake in center of oven for 20 mins, turning once. when turning, be sure you place chicken on fresh grease

C: 300 (per two thighs)

F: 13

C: 13

P: 33

note: i substitued gluten free flour of course, and also i used breasts instead, best if they're about 1" thick.

maple mustard grilled chicken:

-1/2 cup canola oil

-1/2 cup 100% pure maple syrup

-3tbsp balsamic vinegar

-2tbsp dijon mustard

-2 garlic cloves, crushed

-2 tsp coursely ground black pepper

-3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts

-in shallow dish, whick together oil, mmaple syrup, vinegar, mustard, garlic and pepper. add chicken breasts, turning to coat. cover and refridgerate for 1 hour minimum. i usually do about 3 hrs, or overnight--if marinating longer then 1hr though, you need to turn the chicken in the marinade, as the maple syrup and canola oil will separate.

-preheat bbq

-place chicken on greased grill over medium-high heat, (350ish) discarding marinade. cook approx 4-7 mins per side depending on thickness of breasts.

C: 133 (per breast)

F: 3.2

C: 1

P: 25

grilled chicken with tomato-raspberry salsa:

-2 cups skinned, coursely chopped tomatos

-1/4 cup finely chopped red onion

-1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

-1/3 cup raspberry flavored vinegrette

-4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts

-1 tbsp olive oil

-1/8 tsp salt

-1/8 tsp ground black pepper

-preheat bbq to med-high (350ish)

-in bowl, stir together tomatos, onion, parsley and vinegrette

-brush chicken breasts with oil. sprinkle with salt/pepper, place on grill, close lid.

-cook 6-8mins/side, let rest 5 mins

-serve with salsa.

personally i only put in about 2 tsp parsley, using the above recipe will make it taste VERY much like parsley...too much so. also it is nice if the salsa is warmed a bit.

C: 190 (per breast)

F: 6

C: 8

P: 26

chicken bbq'd in foil packets:

-2 skinless/boneless chicken breasts

-1/2 capsicum red pepper, thinly sliced

-1/2 cup leek, thinly sliced

-1 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise

-preheat bbq to medium-high (350ish)

-place each breast in center of 12" square of foil. top with 1/2 red pepper, leeks, zucchini. fold opposite sides of foil up to meet on top of the chickn mixture, fold edges together securely. fold remaining two short ends of packets up, to the close package securely.

-place packets on grill, seam side up, close lid, cook for 20mins

-place packets on dinner plates & serve.

note: you can season the breast any way you choose to. just with salt, pepper, paprika etc. or buy pre-seasoned breasts at your grocer, that's normally what i do.

C: 365 (per breast, seasonsed from grocer)

F: 17

C: 11

P: 42

anyway, those are my favs. i never used to like chicken, but then i learned how to cook it, and now i like it!

--matt

Robix Apprentice

This works with Chicken or Turkey

LEMON DILL CHICKEN SALAD

Chop turkey or chicken into cubes

Boil in a mixture of water, lemon juice, and dill

Drain when cooked. Cool.

When chicken is cold,

Add plain yogurt until chicken is coated, fresh coarsely chopped dill, juice of 1 lemon, and its zest.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Its a lovely cold salad, great for summer.

High in protein, very light.

It has dairy, but am sure you can substitute the yogurt with something else and get roughly the same fresh taste.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Here are some good recipes:

Chicken and Rice

1 cup of rice (I recommend basmati)

2 cups chicken, cubed

2 1/2 cups chicken broth (I use Imagine chicken broth)

1 can stewed tomatoes

1 onion, diced

1 can of Green Giant peas (or 1 cup of frozen Green Giant peas)

1-2 Tablespoons Chili powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and/or 2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 teaspoon basil

1-2 Tablespoons olive oil

Cook oil, chicken, onion, and garlic until done. Place broth, tomatoes, basil, garlic powder, and rice in a pot/wok and cook until the rice in done. Add chicken, onion, and garlic to the pot and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.

Chinese Stirfry

2-3 tablespoons olive oil

2-3 cups of Basmati rice

You can add cooked bite size chicken or beef to this if you're feeling adventurous

Veggies:

1 medium Nappa cabbage, cut up into bite size pieces

1 large red pepper (or 2 small), cut up into very small portions

5-7 green onions (depending on how much you like them), sliced thin

2 cups Chinese bean sprouts

1 small can water chestnuts

Sauce: (you can half the ingredients if you don't like lots of sauce)

2 cups water (depending on how much sauce you like)

2 McCormick all-vegetable Bouillon (vegetable, chicken, or beef)

2 tablespoons of VH soy sauce

2 tablespoons of corn starch (add more if you want it thicker)

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons white wine (optional, just adds flavour)

You will need a large stir fry pan, skillet, or pot.

- Cook rice while preparing stirfry

- Place olive oil in pot and cook red pepper for about 5 minutes over medium heat.

- Place nappa in with oil and pepper and cook 5 minutes over medium heat. Be careful it doesn't burn.

- Add the rest of veggies and all the ingredients for the sauce, add the liquids first and then the dry ingredients.

- cover and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes or until all veggies are done. stir often to avoid burning.

Serve Over Rice and Enjoy!

Turkey Stir Fry

2 cups cooked turkey or chicken

4 cups broccoli

1 red pepper, diced

1 onion, diced

5 green onions, diced

4-5 garlic cloves, minced

10 cloves

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons chili sauce (Thai Kitchen)

2 tablespoon fish sauce (Thai Kitchen)

2 cups cooked basmatti rice

2 tablespoons olive oil

Cook vegetables, cloves, oil, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon fish sauce on high heat until the vegetables are tender. Add turkey and cook until the turkey is warm. Add rice and the rest of the soy sauce and fish sauce. Add chili sauce. Mix and Serve.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Recipe modified from VH

1 package of plain (non breaded) chicken strips

3-4 cloves of garlic, minced

1 small lemon, juice only

4-5 green onions, diced

1 yellow onion, diced

1 cup of water

1 McCormick all-vegetable bouillon (vegetable, chicken, or beef)

½ cup - 1 cup of VH Sweet'n Sour Dip

Cook chicken, garlic, onions, water, lemon juice and bouillon until the water is evaporated. Add sauce and cook until the chicken is done. Serve.

ebrbetty Rising Star

wow, thanks to each and everyone of you, they all sound great and I'm going to print out each one!!

carrie, what is VH Sweet'n Sour Dip? Is VH the brand?

hugs, Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

This is one of my daughter's favorites, it's a Rachael Ray - start to finish in under 30 minutes. We leave out the hot pepper flakes and usually don't add the orange zest.... but you can throw in whatever veggies you want!

Chicken Satay

3 3/4 cups water

2 oranges, zested

2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed

2 tablespoons canola or safflower oil, 2 turns of the pan

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds chicken breast tenders, 2 packages, sliced on an angle into bite-size pieces

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 medium yellow skinned onion, sliced

1 red bell pepper, seeded, quartered and sliced

1 cup shredded carrots, store bought, or 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks

6 scallions, cut on an angle into 2 inch pieces

1 cup snow peas, a couple of handfuls

Satay sauce:

4 rounded tablespoonfuls chunky peanut butter

3 tablespoons dark soy, Tamari

3 tablespoons honey

1-inch ginger root, peeled and minced

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/2 orange, juiced

Garnish:

2 ounces (1/4 cup) chopped peanuts or nut topping, available on the baking aisle

2 to 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

Heat water with orange zest to boiling. Add rice, return to boil, stir. Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook rice until tender, 18 minutes. Fluff with fork.

For stir-fry, heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chicken, garlic and onion, stir-fry 3 minutes. Add remaining veggies and stir-fry 5 minutes more. Heat all ingredients for sauce together in a small pot over low heat, stirring the sauce until all ingredients are combined. Transfer stir-fry to a large platter and pour sauce evenly over the chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle the platter with chopped nuts, cilantro, and basil. Serve jasmine rice in a separate dish with an ice cream scoop to serve the rice with -- it makes perfect, pretty, round portions of rice on the dinner plates.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
carrie, what is VH Sweet'n Sour Dip? Is VH the brand?
VH is a brand Open Original Shared Link

There are a lot of chicken recipes on this site:

Open Original Shared Link

They will indicate gluten on their labels. I wrote them an email about their products and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting ConAgra Foods Canada Inc., with your questions.

ConAgra Foods Canada, Inc., has adapted a labeling policy to ensure

individuals with allergen concerns can choose our products with

confidence. If gluten containing ingredients are present in any of our

products it is indicated independently in the list of ingredients. In

addition, a secondary note in bold caption is below the ingredient list,

stating what the allergen is, i.e. CONTAINS: WHEAT

At this time our gluten free products include: VH Dips and Sauces

EXCEPT Teriyaki Stir Fry Sauce; Hunts' Puddings, Tomatoes, Pastes, Pasta

Sauces, including Healthy Choice and Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce; Orville

Redenbacher Popcorn; ACT II Microwave Popcorn and PAM No Stick Cooking

Spray EXCEPT PAM for Baking.

NOTE: Re-formulation may occur possibly changing the information,

therefore we strongly suggest the ingredient label be reviewed with each

purchase.

We hope this information has been helpful for you and appreciate your

dedication to our products.

Sincerely,

Consumer Communications

03/27/06 02:00 pm

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks carrie, for the link too..do you get it at whole foods?

strongertoday..the Chicken Satay sounds yummy, I have most of the ingredients in the house..thanks

Carriefaith Enthusiast
thanks carrie, for the link too..do you get it at whole foods?
Someone from the US may be able to answer your question (I am from Canada). But, I get the sauces at my local grocery store. I'm assuming that they wouldn't be hard to find in the US either.
ebrbetty Rising Star

I'll look this week..thanks again!

hugs :D

francelajoie Explorer

VH products are not sold in the US. I am from Canada and I do buy a supply when I visit my family. Their sauces are very good and I have not yet found any in the United States that even come close...especially the plum sauce.

Laura Apprentice

My easiest chicken is to cook a piece of chicken (bake, pan-cook, whatever) with just a little salt and pepper, then eat it on rice with the following oh-so-easy sauce: gluten-free tamari mixed with mirin to taste. It's very much like teriyaki. Mirin is a sweet rice wine, what gives most teriyaki sauces that distinctive sweetness that can't be achieved with plain sugar. But read the label carefully - some mirin has soy sauce and even wheat protein in it, while others don't. Even the same brand might make 2 different types where one is gluten-free and the other isn't.

Then I add whatever vegetables are in season to the chicken and rice, and it's a ridiculously healthy but totally delicious dinner.

prinsessa Contributor
This is one of my daughter's favorites, it's a Rachael Ray - start to finish in under 30 minutes. We leave out the hot pepper flakes and usually don't add the orange zest.... but you can throw in whatever veggies you want!

Chicken Satay

3 3/4 cups water

2 oranges, zested

2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed

2 tablespoons canola or safflower oil, 2 turns of the pan

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds chicken breast tenders, 2 packages, sliced on an angle into bite-size pieces

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 medium yellow skinned onion, sliced

1 red bell pepper, seeded, quartered and sliced

1 cup shredded carrots, store bought, or 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks

6 scallions, cut on an angle into 2 inch pieces

1 cup snow peas, a couple of handfuls

Satay sauce:

4 rounded tablespoonfuls chunky peanut butter

3 tablespoons dark soy, Tamari

3 tablespoons honey

1-inch ginger root, peeled and minced

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/2 orange, juiced

Garnish:

2 ounces (1/4 cup) chopped peanuts or nut topping, available on the baking aisle

2 to 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

Heat water with orange zest to boiling. Add rice, return to boil, stir. Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook rice until tender, 18 minutes. Fluff with fork.

For stir-fry, heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chicken, garlic and onion, stir-fry 3 minutes. Add remaining veggies and stir-fry 5 minutes more. Heat all ingredients for sauce together in a small pot over low heat, stirring the sauce until all ingredients are combined. Transfer stir-fry to a large platter and pour sauce evenly over the chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle the platter with chopped nuts, cilantro, and basil. Serve jasmine rice in a separate dish with an ice cream scoop to serve the rice with -- it makes perfect, pretty, round portions of rice on the dinner plates.

That sounds really good. I think I will make it tonight. Thanks!

StrongerToday Enthusiast
That sounds really good. I think I will make it tonight. Thanks!

It is SO good. My 8 year old asks for it at least once a week (I think she'd eat it more if I let her) and it's so simple that she makes the sauce by herself. Sometimes I throw broccoli in too, you really can adjust it to what you like or don't like. (And no, I don't make the little rice balls - maybe if I was impressing company, but not for just us.)

lpellegr Collaborator

Here's one if you have leftover gluten-free breadcrumbs (sometimes I bake a loaf of bread just to make it into crumbs):

Slice raw boneless skinless chicken breasts to about 1/4", then put them between plastic wrap and pound them just a little thinner (skip the pounding if you are good at slicing thinner than 1/4").

Make breading (I just guess at how much I'll need so I can't give you measurements):

half gluten-free bread crumbs

half finely chopped walnuts or pecans

salt, nutmeg to taste

Beat together one egg and a few spoonfuls of brown mustard and dip chicken in this or brush it onto both sides. Coat chicken slices in breading and let it sit 15-30 min to set up a little. Saute on each side in a mix of olive oil and butter until browned and cooked through. This is phenomenal and worth the work. Also works with turkey breast, and you could probably use any kind of mustard that floats your boat. I'm drooling just thinking about it and wish I was having it tonight!

amybeth Enthusiast

When I'm feeling exceptionally lazy, I just saute some chicken in a pan with fruit jam - (I prefer apricot)...occasionally I add veggies and throw it over rice. Depending on the jam, sometimes I thin it out with a little water...........

It's very sweet, but very tasty.

I also have a great lemon chicken recipe. I can't think of all the ingredients right now, but I'll post it when I have it nearby.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Baked chicken with cranberry sauce is also good.

StrongerToday Enthusiast
Baked chicken with cranberry sauce is also good.

I do both apricot and cranberry with pork tenderloins too. Trader Joe's has some great fruit sauces!

amybeth Enthusiast

That reminds me....chicken w/ cranberry sauce, crushed pineapple, and sprinkled with cinnamon - then bake. Yum!

awesomeame Explorer

made this one for supper today, turned out great

herb roasted chicken breasts:

-4 chicken breasts

-2tbsp olive oil

-1/2tsp ground thyme

-1/2tsp dried rosemary leaves

-1/2tsp oregano

-1/2tsp basil

-1/2tsp salt

-1/2tsp ground black pepper

-preheat oven to 400*F

-mix together spices in bowl

-sprinkle seasoning over breasts

-brush breasts with olive oil

-roast in center of oven for 20-25mins

now i did this tonight with boneless/skinless thighs on the bbq at 400*F for 20mins, turning once at 10mins. also i reserved about 1/2 the spice combo and sprinkled the reserved on the thighs when i turned them at the 10min mark. turned out fine.

C: 276

F: 13

C: 0.8

P: 39

--matt

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks again..great recipes :D

prinsessa Contributor
It is SO good. My 8 year old asks for it at least once a week (I think she'd eat it more if I let her) and it's so simple that she makes the sauce by herself. Sometimes I throw broccoli in too, you really can adjust it to what you like or don't like. (And no, I don't make the little rice balls - maybe if I was impressing company, but not for just us.)

I made the recipe the other day and it was really good and really easy to make. I put other veggies in there because I didn't have exactly what the recipe called for. I also just made wild rice instead of the one it called for (I think it was jasmine which I didn't have). The kids and DH really liked it. Thanks again!

mamaw Community Regular

here's a quick one:

boneless chicken

1 1/2 to 2 cups brown rice (uncooked)

gluten-free dried onion soup mix ( 1 pkg)

2 cans gluten-free chicken broth

bake 350 until liquid is asborbed and chicken is tender. Cover with foil when putting in oven.

I add a vegetable side and walla. quick & easy but so tasty!!!!!!!!!!!

enjoy

mamaw

Archived