• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

My daughter is 13 and was diagnosed in December (REALLY high numbers). She has gradually been feeling better, but it seems that each time we get about three days into Flonase, she has stomach problems. Flonase says that some of their batches have a component that might be derived from the W word (wheat :) )and may contain gluten. However, her allergist has Celiac patients and reports that there has never been a problem to which he is aware.

The phenomenon of getting stomach problems also seems to come from increasing the dose of Zyrtec to a full tablet. However, she has taken Zyrtec w/o incident at 1/2 tablet dose. I suspect the problem is Flonase.

Anyone else had experience with Flonase?

No experience with Flonase while gluten-free, but if there's gluten in it, it can cause problems when there is any drainage from the sinuses that gets into the intestinal tract.

Don't know about the zyrtec though, other than that its gluten-free...

I know Zyrtek is gluten-free--I checked on it when it was prescribed for me recently. I have not used Flonase since going gluten-free, so I have not personally checked on it--like Chelsea said, if it did have an ingredient in there that a person reacts to, I know that a fair amount of it drains down the throat. I remember tasting it after using it.

There is another allergy nasal spray that you don't have to take every day like you do with some others but I can't remember the name. It worked really well for my son (12).

I would call her allergist or regular doc, whichever one prescribed it, and have them change it. My son was one one from his pediatrition but his allergist changed it to nasaqort which he HAS to use daily for it to work. He was doing well but had to get his asthma under control and allergies are one of his triggers so she suggested we change to this kind.

This is our test year and for him; if he continues to have problems on his current meds (since nothing has worked well to-date so he is now on zyrtec like me along with his nasal spray), then we will probably start shots - it depends on if he can leave the house later this summer or not.