• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Kiki

Quick Question....

Rate this topic

I found this amazing cake its a seven layer loaf cake with chocolate and all.. yumm yummm! It is made with partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil...and natural flavor emulsions.. eveything else in it is find but im not sure about those two things .. anybody know? I think i heard somthing about hydrogenated not being good for celiacs but i cant rmeber... Is it true?

The hydrogenated cottonseed oil is fine. And hydrogenated ingredients are fine... hydrogenated just means treated with or exposed to hydrogen--no gluten there.

Anything with natural flavors is questionable, so you have to check on the product.

Hydrogenated oil, from any source, is not a source of gluten. However, hydrogenation changes the fat into trans fat, which has been shown by many studies to be detrimental to your health. The hydrogenation process hardens the oil, so it is used to make stick margerine and to give other foods a firmer texture.

Like MSG, it is something you may want to avoid, but it is gluten-free.