• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

This may be an odd or obvious question but does anyone know if dried fruit (ie: banana chips, mango, papaya, etc.) is gluten free? No specific brand... just in general.

Not to turn a simple question into a Debbie Downer moment but I went to get a massage last night and in the zen like room that you hang out in your robe & slippers before they come get you, they had some tea, lemon water and dried fruit to snack on. I was starving since I ran there right after work and really wanted some of it but was to afraid to eat it. I generally think I have a good outlook about having celiac, but it's moments like that this just totally sucks. I mean normal people aren't terrified to eat a banana chip when their stomach is growling. Sorry just had to have that small vent since I know you all can relate.

I dunnon about in general but I know all of the Ocean Spray and Sunmaid brand of dried fruit is gluten-free. I would think it would be true in general, since I can think of no good reason to add gluten to it.

Never go by generalities - ALWAYS look at ingredients and package labeling.

Dried fruit, in general, is just dried fruit. You can at least assume that it's worth your time to pick up the package and read the ingredients, unless you're looking at date pieces, which are almost always dusted in oat flour. But a lot of dried fruit is made in plants that produce products with wheat, and dried fruit is awfully sticky, so it's one item that I'm pretty careful about looking for facilities statements on the packaging when buying dried fruit.

In a situation like the one you're talking about, you have to weight the risks and benefits. If it was dates, there's no way I'd do it. If it were apricots, which tend to be less sticky than, say, prunes, I'd probably go ahead. Dried apples or even peaches/nectarines I might. But I'd realize that I was running a cross-contamination risk, albeit not a very high one. Eh... but what is life but a series of calculated risks? ;-)

Jillian- i totally know what you mean...it sucks. But i wouldnt chance it. I have been glutened by dried mangos and papayas in the past (usually from those bulk bins, which i know was stupid on my part), but sometimes just buying them in a store. I stay away from them now unless the label is clear, just not worth it to me. And that is why i never go anywhere w/o a snack in my bag! and i eat dried raisins, blueberries and cranberries with no problem. (sunmaid, craisin, etc.) :)

Guest cassidy

I flew Southwest today and they gave us a snack pack that included a package of dried fruit. It was a Nabisco package which said they it is a Kraft product line. So, I looked at the ingredients and there wasn't any gluten in it. I'm going to look for it in the stores because I really liked it.