This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hard Fry Batter?

GreySaber

GreySaber Apprentice

I posted something about this in another thread, but I think it needs one of it's own.

I would like to see is a good HARD fry batter. I have been meaning to experiment in this reguard, but my minor experiments haven't come up with anything decent.

Now, a hard fry is not a 'breading.' I'm taking about fish and chips, not zaterans or shake and bake. Catfish rolled in cornmeal is grand, but it's not like english deep fried cod, or that chicken from popeyes. (love that chicken from popeyes.)

A hard fry batter must come out of the boiling oil as hard crust, it sticks close to the meat rather then falling off, and it is crunchy, not soft. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it tastes good.

Has anyone experimented as yet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

awesomeame Explorer

personally i like the cornmeal, lol.

but besides that, i use a gluten-free 'all purpose flour' by a local manufacturer here when i'm frying fish. put about 3mm of olive oil in the pan, coat fish thickly with flour, fry on each side for 3mins on HIGH heat, (just shy of burning the oil) then turn to low heat and cook another 3 mins. i had this for lunch today with cod, and the crust was almost too hard, albeit i wouldn't call it crispy.

--matt

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I used Mr Ritts Bakery pancake, waffle and tempura flour mix.. I am not sure if they deliver. They are a gluten free bakery in Philly. The cod came out just like you said you want it. I under cooked the first few pieces as I was new with it. I will be traveling back to Philly in a few weeks. I plan on stocking up. It makes excellent pancakes and waffles too! Its a bit pricey though, but i felt it was worth it. 11.00 a bag

I just found another recipe for "hard batter" I made it yesterday to have onion rings.

Here it is..

1 egg, separated

1/2 cup rice flour (I used white)

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper (I used paprika)

1/2 cold water

Beat egg yolk and water til frothy. Stir or beat in dry ingredients.

When smooth, let sit for 5 minutes. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks

form. Fold into or stir lightly into the the above mixture. Dip anything,

meat, veggies, onion rings, fish and fry in hot canola oil.

I havent tried it yet with the fish, but i made onion rings with it and they were goood!!!

:)

GreySaber Apprentice
I just found another recipe for "hard batter" I made it yesterday to have onion rings.

Here it is..

This works! IT looks too puffy when it comes out, but it's GOOOD.

So glad you liked it!

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I just had great success with chicken fingers tonight (I also used to like Popeye's chicken). I've had lots of good fried chicken, but this was by far the best for chicken fingers. Of course I eyeballed it so none of these measurements are truly accurate.

1/2 cup rice flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1 Tsp potato starch

1 Tsp Adobo seasoning

2 TBSP Xanthan gum

coat chicken in 2 beaten eggs and then the flour mixture. Fry on medium high heat. cook longer for extra crispiness.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GreySaber Apprentice
coat chicken in 2 beaten eggs and then fry on medium high heat. cook longer for extra crispiness.

That's into the eggs, then into the flour, then dunk it in the deep fry?

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Yes, I just edited it. Thanks for noticing. I can't imagine anything fried in only egg coating would be very good.

Archived