• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Has anyone had a colonoscopy due to a celiac's risk for bowel cancer being higher than the general population? I am only 30 so it would not normally be indicated for my age but I would not want anything to go undetected. Also however I do NOT WANT a colonoscopy. Thank you!

I did, but it was because of unexplained anemia. The prep is FAR FAR worse then the procedure. Make sure you have nothing planed, will be near a bathroom, and no reponsiblities the night before it!!

I had one the same day as my endo/biopsy. I was 49 at the time, and have a family history of colon cancer, so even though I had dreaded it for a long time, agreed to have it. The procedure itself was a snap. I was asleep the whole time, and woke up with no ill effects whatsoever. The prep the day before was unpleasant, though. That was by far the worst part. Like Vincent said--plan to stay near the bathroom! If you're at all concerned about colon cancer--have a family history or other symptoms that would indicate a colonoscopy--don't worry, it's not bad at all. :)

What is involved in this testing, My doctor wants to meet with me today to discuss having a biopsy done, and I'm a little worried. Does it involve enemas and such, I've never had anything like that done before.

I have been anemic since I was 12 so could that mean that it would not be from colon cancer? My doctor has said that I am anemic due to small RBC's not iron deficiency but we will get further tests back on that today.

Just had one last week. The prep is hideous. I had diarrhea for 24 hours. I think I had 2 hours of sleep that night. In fact, during the two hours I did manage to get, I soiled the bed.

I would think at age 30 you probably don't need to have this done unless you've got some specific issues like blood or family history but ask your doctor if you're concerned.