This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Manufacturers Threatening Labeling Bill

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Hi everybody, got this email from the National Celiac Task Force, looks like the bill is being threatened. Please take the time to send a letter to your congress people!!! We DO NOT want this bill to fail!!

-Jessica

Here is the email:

Food Manufacturers Threatening Labeling Bill

The House Energy and Commerce Committee will soon vote on H.R. 3684, the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA).

The bill has STRONG bipartisan support. Its companion, S. 741, was passed unanimously by the Senate in March, and has been enthusiastically endorsed by Secretary of HHS, Tommy Thompson.

The Food Manufacturers are now scrambling to weaken the bill and delay the effective date of January 1, 2006.

We can't let that happen!

TAKE ACTION NOW -- go to Open Original Shared Link

Send an e-letter to your Representative urging H.R. 3684 be passed with the 2006 effective date.

Feel like getting personal? Call the Capitol Switchboard (800) (800) 839-5276 and ask for your Representative's office. Don't know your member -- go to "Elected Officials" at Open Original Shared Link , and enter your zip code.

It's time to show our strength !!

American Celiac Task Force

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Got a letter back, just thought I would share it:

Dear Jessica,

Thank you for contacting me with your views on food

allergens and food labeling. I appreciate hearing from you.

Americans are blessed with a great variety of choices in the

foods that we eat. I recognize, though, that some citizens must be

cautious for health reasons in the food selections that they make.

To this end, I support commonsense legislation to protect

American consumers and to provide them with the information

necessary to make healthy choices.

H.R. 3684 would change the way many foods are labeled.

The bill defines the most common food allergens and would

require that foods containing these ingredients be properly labeled,

for example using common ingredient names and more clearly

defined terms, such as "gluten free."

H.R. 3684 also outlines new requirements for the Food and

Drug Administration (FDA) concerning food allergens. The bill

would seek to improve awareness of food allergies by increasing

education programs for health care providers and by expanding

research and data collection on food allergies. Furthermore, to

respond to the nearly 30,000 Americans annually who need

emergency room treatment for food allergies, H.R. 3684 would

direct the FDA to include food allergy treatment in trauma and

emergency care facilities.

H.R. 3684 is currently in the House Subcommittee on

Health for further consideration. Please know that I will keep your

views in mind if this legislation comes to the House floor for a

vote. Please feel free to contact me again with comments or

concerns on matters that are important to you.

God Bless You,

Jim Ryun

• 2 weeks later...

This is good news!! Keep up the great work folks, keep the letter writing and the support going!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Food Labeling Bill Passes Unanimously -- AGAIN !!

Today, the House Energy and Commerce Health Subcommittee unanimously passed S. 741, which includes the "Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act" (FALCPA).

TWO MORE VOTES -- one by the full Committee, and one by the full House, and this bill goes to the President! Today's action sets the tone for the next votes.

If your Representative is a member of the House Energy and Commerce Health Subcommittee, please write or call to say, "Thank You."

To see who the members of the Subcommittee are go to:

Open Original Shared Link

To send a thank-you go to: www.capwiz.com/celiac , enter your zip code. 'Click' on the Representative's name. Under the picture, 'click' on 'Send message.'

actf@fogworks.net

• 2 weeks later...

Food Labeling Bill Headed for Final Vote !

The House Energy and Commerce Committee has passed the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA). This was the fourth time S. 741 received UNANIMOUS approval.

Now there is JUST ONE VOTE TO GO !!

All signs point to quick passage by the full House. Then its onto President Bush for his signature.

If your Representative is a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, please write or call to say, "Thank You."

To send a thank-you go to: Open Original Shared Link , enter your zip code. 'Click' on the Representative's name. Under the picture, 'click' on 'Send message.'

actf@fogworks.net

celiac3270 Collaborator

I wasn't sure who to send an e-mail to, but being told that it would probably pass this next vote, I sent my e-mail to President Bush....shoot those e-mails out, people!!! We need this thing to pass or we're not going to get another chance for quite awhile. :unsure:

-celiac3270

valerie-s Newbie

I think I must be missing something. It would be a lot easier to send a note if someone would post the text so we could just cut-and-paste. Does an effective wording already exist? Could someone post it?

Thanks,

Valerie

You can find letters to send at the website. You should check it out! Open Original Shared Link Put in your zip code, it shows your reps. then you can choose an appropriate letter to send OR compose your own. Simple and takes like 2 min. to do. and it seems to be WORKING!! WOO HOO!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

valerie-s Newbie

It's strange - only after I send a letter can I see the form letter. Not sure why that is happening, but I sent letters to my Representative and to the President.

• 2 weeks later...
dkmb Newbie

Here is a link to an article about the food labeling bill that says it is likely to be approved and signed into law by the President. Interesting article Open Original Shared Link

I keep up on Celiac news by using Google and their news section typing in Celiac and sorting by date. You get everything from upcoming meetings published in local newspapers to articles of national interest like this one.

DK :P

• 2 weeks later...

:D House of Representatives Passes Allergen Labeling Bill HIP HIP HORRAY!!! :D

House of Representatives Passes Allergen Labeling Bill

Tonight the U.S. House of Representatives, under the leadership of Rep. Nita Lowey (D-NY), passed the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (S. 741).

This landmark legislation will require the top 8 food allergens [milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat and soy] to be listed on food labels by January 1, 2006.

The bill also requires the FDA to develop rules for the use of the term 'gluten-free' on product labels by January 2008.

The 'One Voice' of the Celiac Community has been heard !

actf@fogworks.net

joemoe003 Apprentice

this is awesome now this is gonna happen everywhere in the US right? and what about resturants? 2006 is a long time but i would say its worth it. :)

joe

Archived