This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"normal" People Just Don't Know How Good They Have It!

cgilsing

cgilsing Enthusiast

Ususally stuff like this doesn't really get to me. And maybe it has something to do with being 35 weeks pregnant that it's getting to me now, but I was just reading on another forum (pregnancy forum) a conversation a bunch of women with gestational diabetes (and nothin' else) were having. Three women in row were saying that they cried all the time, because they couldn't eat whatever they wanted. There complaints were about not being able to order their favorite sandwich from the deli, or that after they cheated and pigged out on a big slice of chocolate cake their numbers were too high, or that they are craving something they can't have <_< I'm now on a strict low-sodium diet as well as gluten-free to keep my swelling/blood pressure down. My day consists of plain fruit for breakfast w/ cool whip, plain meat and plain veggie or plain rice for lunch and dinner.....no treats, no going out to eat period. This low-sodium thing is short lived and I will survive.....gluten-free is for life and I really don't mind that much.....It's just making me so mad to hear these women cry and moan over a few weeks of inconvienence to their regular schedual :angry: Don't people realize how good they have it! After a few weeks they will be back to eating whatever they want! How can they sit around and cry about this!!!! UGH....Sorry I guess I'm just the one whinning now :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

minibabe Contributor

Dont be sorry about this. I believe that you have a reason to be upset. If I was in your position I would feel the same way. Dont worry things get better :)

Amanda NY

tarnalberry Community Regular

Oooo... I wish I could have cool whip.

:P

Nah, I know what you mean. There are things we want to have the other people can have, and are shocked when they whine about things we consider pretty minor. That's what we've got each other for. :-)

cgilsing Enthusiast

Sorry Tiffany! I guess cool whip is my treat! :P Really I don't know what I would do without you guys! People's reaction to gluten-free is always "Oh I couldn't do that!" I always think to myself....."Well, if you felt as bad as I did you would!" Maybe they can't do it.....maybe having more will-power than the average human is something that just comes along with celiac disease :lol: ....I don't know!

mmaccartney Explorer
Really I don't know what I would do without you guys!

Exactly, they don't get to have "us" we do! :D

People's reaction to gluten-free is always "Oh I couldn't do that!" I always think to myself....."Well, if you felt as bad as I did you would!" Maybe they can't do it.....maybe having more will-power than the average human is something that just comes along with celiac disease :lol: ....I don't know!

Willpower? Perhaps for some. When people make that comment to me, I tell them "It's not like that. I don't crave things I cannot have. My mind and body have gotten used to it." Then they look at me even more funny, and then I tell them "Did you ever touch the stove when you were a kid? You learned, real quick, not to touch the stove again....in fact you no longer *wanted* to touch the stove did you? Well, that is what it is like for me. eating gluten/casein is just like touching that stove..."

Generally that gives them the understanding of what this diet is like...for me.

jenvan Collaborator

Hang in there girl! When are you due? Don't know what was going on 9 mos ago--but 3 of my friends are due in May :) It can be hard and/or annoying listening to someone complain when you're in a tougher situation. Maybe you can spin it, try to be a leader and teach your other cyber friends how to make good choices when its tough. Or you could just come and rant here too--whichever is fine!! Take care!

cgilsing Enthusiast

I guess love was in the air 9 mos ago! Technically I'm not due till June though! June 1st......but if he wants to come at the end of May than I guess I won't complain! :P Really food doesn't bother me one bit! The other aspects of pregnancy totally make up for whatever food inconvienences may come my way! It's really kindof fun being this big....I had to giggle the other day when I went to the hospital the other day to pre-register.....you ought to see the look of panic that people don when I walk into the hospital! :lol: I got a good laugh out of it! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular
Three women in row were saying that they cried all the time, because they couldn't eat whatever they wanted. There complaints were about not being able to order their favorite sandwich from the deli, or that after they cheated and pigged out on a big slice of chocolate cake their numbers were too high, or that they are craving something they can't have <_<

Oh, boo hoo. You have to actually eat somewhat HEALTHY for what, half a year? Heaven forbid you nourish your growing child with FRUITS and VEGETABLES in thier most important developmental stages. Buck up, darlin's, you ain't seen nothing yet! :rolleyes:

You have every right to vent, at least!

I got to say this in another post today: Stupid people. They're everywhere. :rolleyes:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Hang in there...you can vent anytime here but I will tell you its really easy once you know the ropes to things. We are "normal"....aren't diabetics and people with allergies normal? Just because we can't eat certain things does not make us abnormal

par18 Apprentice
Hang in there...you can vent anytime here but I will tell you its really easy once you know the ropes to things. We are "normal"....aren't diabetics and people with allergies normal? Just because we can't eat certain things does not make us abnormal

This is how I feel exactly. I run into people all the time that try to feel sorry for me but I feel a lot more normal and healthier than they ever will.

Tom

cgilsing Enthusiast

Oh I know we are normal :P I just said that because I don't know what else to call them! That's why I put it in quotes. I'm really just fine with the gluten free diet too! I've been doing this for about 2 years now, and really it has improved my life in more ways than just the physical. I'm a much better cook, and a much healthier eater :D Adding the low-sodium has really put a kink in my recipe bank.....and I'm new to it....sooooo it's not that easy right now. But I don't have to do it for that long either!

cultureslayer Rookie

Hahaha, my mother made us all give up nightshade vegetables for a while when I was a kid since she wanted to try an arthritis diet. It worked and she slowly realized she'd have to allow it back in the house (as a kid you have to have pizza). But when I told her I had celiac her reaction was "couldn't you just give up bread and get better a little slower without all the hassle?"

jenvan Collaborator

Hey--remember if you ever come back my way to let me know.... Could eat at PF Changs or something... :D

phakephur Apprentice
Three women in row were saying that they cried all the time, because they couldn't eat whatever they wanted. There complaints were about not being able to order their favorite sandwich from the deli, or that after they cheated and pigged out on a big slice of chocolate cake their numbers were too high, or that they are craving something they can't have

One thing to bear in mind is that people who can eat anything they want generally do....and it shows

cgilsing Enthusiast
Hey--remember if you ever come back my way to let me know.... Could eat at PF Changs or something... :D

I definately will! :D I was just thinking about that the other day that the next time we are over there to get ahold of you! It might be a little while now though.....I'm avoiding car travel as much as possible! I'm sure this summer we will make it out that way though. Brett's family is in Indiana and they are going to want to meet our new addition! ;)

Archived