• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

ebrbetty

Rice Paper Wrappers

Rate this topic

someone was cooking with them on food tv, but I missed most of it..I had them in my hand at whole foods, but didn't buy them..if you've used them, are they any good? do I have to deep fry them? I thought the cook on tv just filled and ate?

thanks

I use the rice/tapioca wrappers for burrito's. I just wet them until plyable and fill with your favorite eats. They don't taste like anything and they hold-up pretty good to the filling.

Cleveland Bob B)

I've heard (but haven't tried yet) that you can make ravioli and other "filled" pastas with it. My neighbor said that he has used them and since they have almost no flavor, you can taste the filling and the sauce. He's not Celiac, but his wife is Korean and they had some that needed to be used. He made the ravioli and from what he said it was pretty good.

yep, I've used them, no you don't have to fry them. you can have them uncooked, baked, or boiled as well as fried.

i tried these once, but found them to be sooo chewy, like so much so that my teeth had trouble biting through them. i threw out the rest of the package. is it normal for them to be chewy, or did i get a bad batch? i had soaked them in water & filled them. if it IS normal for them to be so chewy, does the chewiness go away when it's deep-fried? tia

--matt

i tried these once, but found them to be sooo chewy, like so much so that my teeth had trouble biting through them. i threw out the rest of the package. is it normal for them to be chewy, or did i get a bad batch? i had soaked them in water & filled them. if it IS normal for them to be so chewy, does the chewiness go away when it's deep-fried? tia

--matt

How thick were they? The ones I use are transparent. I soak them in hot tap water for 30 seconds or so, until completely limp. I never fry, just make rolls by wrapping up salad ingredients and such.

I bought them for myself, the only gluten-free one in the family, but my husband uses them for tuna salad rolls instead of bread. Not fried, just cold.

tnx for the reminder ya'll...i've had some wrappers in my pantry for months now and have been meaning to try making rolls for a while now. gotta do it!

Where can I find Rice Paper? I looked in the grocery store yesterday, didn't see any :(

any asian store should carry them...at least they do in this area. also a healthfood store may carry them.

--matt

How thick were they? The ones I use are transparent. I soak them in hot tap water for 30 seconds or so, until completely limp. I never fry, just make rolls by wrapping up salad ingredients and such.

i guess mine were more opaque then transparent, so maybe thicker. something about mine don't sound right, lol. maybe time to buy some from a different store :blink:

--matt

--matt

I buy Vietnamese rice paper, and directions say to soak only for 5 seconds...longer may cause the chewiness. Just a guess. I eat them filled right after rolling, or sometimes I fry them. Very good either way.

Sharon

thx. i just bought some more, a different brand and will try those

--matt

I've never found that 5 seconds was enough. You have to soak them until they are soft and flexible.