• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

BamBam

Dairy/casein Intolerance

Rate this topic

Sodium caseinate - yes or no. It is in cool whip and creamers. It is a dairy ingredient or not? I really miss my coffee creames!

BamBam

Cool Whip is definitely not okay of you're casein intolerant. Many "non-dairy creamers aren't safe either. They can say "non-dairy" and still contain milk derivatives. Sodium caseinate is a milk derivative. Sorry :( Maybe you can try almond milk in your coffee instead?

Hi Bam Bam--I use Vance's Dari Free. It is very good in tea (I don't drink coffee!)--it is much creamier than rice or almond milks. If you havn't seen it, here is a link-

http://www.vances.com/index.asp?PageAction...D&ProdID=6&HS=1

I usually use it dry in tea--but it is also good after it's been reconstituted with water.

Can you have soy? My mom LOVES Silk Soy Creamer. (Comes in Original, Hazelnut, and Vanilla).

I have up cream in my coffee after getting the casein sensitivity diagnosis. But the best one I tried without milk was the soy creamer. Still... it was only a hollow echo of the glory that is cream-in-coffee.

Sodium caseinate - yes or no. It is in cool whip and creamers. It is a dairy ingredient or not? I really miss my coffee creames!

BamBam

Carriefaith gave me this link, its the best listing of diary ingreds I have seen:

http://www.godairyfree.org/guide/shop/ingredientlist.htm

I'd beware of SOY. All the non-dairy alternative with SOY caused me a huge problem with my thyroid. I was living gluten and dairy free for 5 years but ate lots of soy. It's in everything and you have no idea. There are many threats here pro / con on soy. I believe it's poison.

Watch out for those flavored soy creamers they have hidden things in "natural flavoring or natural ingredients" If you get sick and you don't know why it could be hidden in the ingredients. Or they are cross contaminated because they run gluten products on the same factory lines.

Carriefaith gave me this link, its the best listing of diary ingreds I have seen:

http://www.godairyfree.org/guide/shop/ingredientlist.htm

I've been looking for a list like this all week!! Thanks for posting it!

Carol

(finding out I need to avoid every little bit of dairy)