This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Burt's Bees Shimmer...?

lorka150

lorka150 Collaborator

I forget if I saw it somewhere... Or where, on here... That Burt's Bees SHIMMER is NOT gluten free?

I use Burt's hand salve, and lip balm, and the shimmer. So I need to make sure, please!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Lorka--it's in here--

Open Original Shared Link

Post # 22

lorka150 Collaborator

Oh thanks, Patti! I am a little confused by the post... Does that mean that the oil is from soy, or from wheat?

jerseyangel Proficient

After reading it over again, I'm not sure, either. I would suggest asking Judy--since she talked to the company. :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

lORKA150--

i AM CONVINCED THAT THE WATERMELLON SHIMMER HAS TOCOPHEROL FROM "VIT- E" AND IS DIRIVED FROM FROM WHEAT GERM THE COMPANY REP FINALLY TOLD ME IT WAS FROM WHEAT NOT SOYBEAN AS ORIGINALLY STATED ON THE FIRST PRINT OUT.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIND IT NOW...WITH THE LIMITED # YOU CAN PUT IN A SEARCH BERTS SOMETIMES DOESN'T COME UP..MAYBE A SEARCH FOR 'SHIMMER' WILL.

GOOD LUCK

JUDY

Posted Apr 25 2006, 09:05 AM

I KNOW WE'RE ONLY TO DO CC PRODUCTS--AND AT THE RISK OF GETTING 'YELLED AT' BUY THE LOVERS OF BERTS BEES PRODUCTS....

THERE WAS A WHOLE THREAD I POSTED AWHILE AGO FROM ANOTHER FORUM...THE BERTS BEES SHIMMER HAS TOCOPHEROL FROM "VIT- E" AND IS MADE FROM WHEAT GERM.

I WAS ON THE PHONE FOR HOURS AND WEEKS AND THEY KEPT CALLING ME BACK AND FINALLY AGREED I WAS RIGHT AND THE STATEMENTS POSTED FROM CORP. AT FIRST THEY WERE SAYING 'SOYBEAN' BUT THAT IS STILL A PROBLEM FOR SOME OF US..

I JUST DON'T TRUST THAT PRODUCT AT ALL. I POSTED A THREAD THAT CAME FROM CORP LISTING ALL THE PRODUCTS WITH THE ALLERGENS BESIDE EACH ONE.

JUDY IN PHILLY

jerseyangel Proficient

Hey Judy--that was quick!! :D How you doin today?

lorka150 Collaborator

Thanks for the reply. I have a different 'flavour' so I will give them a call - to make sure.

I'm nervous! Don't want to give up my Bee's... :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo <_<

Please tell me it isn't so. I use the champagne and the guava. I'll be so bummed. i always wondered about tocopheryl acetate Vitamin E and whether or not it was wheat derived. Do we have to chuck them. I'm gonna cry!

lorka150 Collaborator

I have the champagne... I'll let you know what happens with this dreaded call.

Guest BERNESES

I just found this from a post in March:

Thank you for contacting Burt's Bees. The Quality Resources Department Manager has put together a list of products that SHOULD NOT be used by Celiac Patients. These products contain wheat, oat, rye, or barley derived ingredients.

Please AVOID these products:

Baby Bee:

Apricot Baby Oil (Wheat)

Buttermilk Soap (Oat)

Shampoo Bar (Oat)

Healthy Skin:

Avocado Hair Butter Treatment (Oat)

Carrot Day Crème (Wheat)

Carrot Night Crème (Wheat)

Citrus Facial Scrub (Oat)

Coconut Foot Crème (Oat)

Orange Essence Cleansing Crème (Oat)

Vitamin E Bath & Body Oil (Wheat)

Healthy Treatment:

Repair Serum (Wheat)

Natural Remedy:

Dr. Burt's Res-Q Ointment or Comfrey Salve (Wheat)

Poison Ivy Soap (Oat)

Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar (Oat)

Peppermint Foot Lotion (Wheat)

jenvan Collaborator

What's all this buzz about Burt's Judy?? I have a champagne and a dark rubyish color in my purse right now. How did I miss all this? So they recently admitted that the oil came from wheat ??!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
What's all this buzz about Burt's Judy?? I have a champagne and a dark rubyish color in my purse right now. How did I miss all this? So they recently admitted that the oil came from wheat ??!

HI Ladies--esp Bernese--

Vitamin E Bath & Body Oil (Wheat)

I posted from another forum with at least 5 letters of responses all seeming to contradict each other. i'LL TRY TO FIND IT . THANKS BERNESE FOR THIS PART.

the person who called me on the phone from Bert's bees said i was right..now that's all i know

that's ONLY THE WATERMELLON SHIMMER..NOW IF THAT "VIT E IS FROM WHEAT...AND THEY ARENT' SURE WHO IS THE SUPLIER OF THE VIT e IN OTHER PRODUCTS..BE MY GUEST TO KEEP USING THEM.. AGAIN.

WHAT'S BAD FOR ME :( MIGHT NOT BE FOR OTHERS.. :) WE HAVE TO KEEP REMEMBERING THAT..RIGHT. : :ph34r::lol:

FOR ME MY LIPS WERE SO CHAPPED AND CRACKED FROMA COLD AND NEEDED SOMETHING SOOTHING.

FOR THE NEXT WEEK FROM USING IT,,,IT WENT FROM CRACKED & CHAPPED TO BLISTERS AND ENDED UP WITH COLD SORES....I KNOW IT CAN BE ALL KINDS OF THINGS...

I'M JUST SAYING WHEN BERT'S ( A HIGHLY RESPECTED COMPANY--THAT'S WHY SHE CALLED ME) CAN'T GET THEIR INGR'S LIST STRAIGHT...AND IT BOTHERS ME PERSONALLY..I'LL SKIP IT.

NOW HERES A TEST..I FIND I CAN USE --

CHAP STICK LIP MOISTURIZER IN A SQUIRT TUBE AND NOW CAN'T FIND THE OTHER ONE AND MAYBE SOME OF YOU CAN'T USE THAT

SAW IT ON DELPHIA..I THINK AT THIS POINT I'M NUTS.

JUDY

jerseyangel Proficient

You know--I just remembered that a while back someone--I think KaitiUSA?--posted that Bert's Lip Balm had the vit. E from wheat germ in it, too. Does anyone remember? I'll try to find the post.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Ok guys--

this might be it but REALLY DO HAVE TO GET OFF THIS COMUTER.

IF THIS IS THE ONE, MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE CAN CK IT OUT.

LOVE YOU ALL BUT GOTTA GO.

JUDY

Posted on: Dec 17 2005, 01:59 AM

Advanced Community Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 4,424

Sorry to link to another forum, but this is news to me and might be to some of you perhaps:Open Original Shared Link This thread is about Burt's Bees lip-balm, not about possible line contamination, which I've read about here, but about vitamin E in the ingredients list as a possible problem, as it can be wheat derived or vegatable derived.If you read the thread you'll see that the people at Burt's Bees don't know much about this, and it makes me wonder if other companies do. Have you questioned the source of vitamin E with other companies, particularly those that say they have gluten-free products? Vitamin E is a common ingredient in skin care products and is also listed in ingredients as tocopherol.I'm really interested to know what companies say if you've asked about it, as I've nver asked.Thanks,Matilda

Forum:

Guest BERNESES

Boy that's confusing, buut it seems like Vit E could could come from a wheat germ source or a vegetable source and their's does not come from a wheat source. But it's sketchy so I think I'm going to call tomorrow.

Guest Robbin
:( I have to add that I bought the watermelon about a month ago and after using it for about 3 days, I got severely sore lips and fine blister-like bumps on my top lip, so I gave it up. I was really burned about that since it is such a great color and so smooth. (Not cheap, either)
Matilda Enthusiast

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

tHANKS NEED TO GO TO MATILDA :)

Open Original Shared Link

FOR PUTTING THIS POST UP FIRST IN NOVEMBER I THINK.

tHIS IS WHERE I FOUND THE CONFUSION ORIGINALLY.

THIS IS WHY I KEPT WRITING AND CALLING.

I PULLED THIS THREAD OUT OF MY EARLIER POST TONIGHT CAUSE I COULDN'T GET IT TO WORK NOWIT DOES...WHEN USED BY ITSELF.

i KNOW THEY SAY SOME VIT E IS SOYBEAN AND SOME WHEAT.

3 PEOPLE SAID TO ME 'SHIMMER IS SOYBEAN. THE WOMAN ON THE PHONE WHO CALLED ME SAID

SHIMMER VIT E IS WHEAT GERM. MY GOD, IF IT'S THIS DANG CONFUSING, PERSONALLY I'M NOT WASTING MY TIME....

NOW THAT BEING SAID....MOST OF YOU KNOW RECENTLY I CAN'T TOLERATE SOY..SO MAYBE IT'S ME --AGAIN. I'M NOT SAYING TO ANY OF YOU STOP USING IT...I'M SAYING FOR ME...I'LL FIND SOMETHING ELSE.

MAYBE SOME OF YOU TOMORROW WANT TO LOOK INTO IT.

aFTER I POSTED LAST, I LAID DOWN TO READ THE PAPER ON THE COUCH AND -----OUT LIKE A LITE--SO NOW CAME UP TO TURN OFF COMPUTER AND HERE I AM AGAIN AT 2:45 AM :ph34r:

GOOD NITE LADIES,

TALK TO U IN THE MORNING :)

HUGS JUDY IN PHILLY

lorka150 Collaborator

YAY!

Okay, so I got an email today from the Burt's Bees people. I shall copy and paste:

-----------

Appropriate List For Gluten Restricted Patients

Products NOT containing wheat, Oat, Rye & Barley derived ingredients

Updated: March 24, 2006

BABY BEE

BABY BEE DUSTING POWDER

BABY BEE CRÈME

BABY BEE LOTION – DAIRY

BABY BEE BUTTERMILK BATH – DAIRY

BABY BEE DIAPER OINTMENT – NUT

HAND & FACE & BODY

GARDEN TOMATO TONER

WILD LETTUCE TONER

TOMATO COLOGNE

CARROT NUTRITIVE BODY LOTION

MILK & HONEY LOTION– DAIRY

PEPPERMINT SHOWER SOAP – NUT

LAVENDER SOAP

TOMATO SOAP

CARROT SOAP

CITRUS SPICE SOAP

WILD LETTUCE COMPLEXION SOAP

CUCUMBER/CHAM COMPLEXION MIST

LAVENDER COMPLEXION MIST

GRAPEFRUIT COMPLEXION MIST

CARROT SEED COMPLEXION MIST

LEMON POPPY SEED

BEESWAX MOIST DAY CREME

BEESWAX MOIST NIGHT CRÈME – NUT

GINGER CITRUS BODY WASH

ALMOND MILK HAND CRÈME – NUT

BANANA HAND CRÈME – NUT

LEMON BUTTER CUTICLE CRÈME -NUT

HAND SALVE - NUT

ORAL CARE

LAVENDER TOOTHPASTE

CINNAMINT TOOTHPASTE

CHILDREN’S TOOTHPASTE

PEPPERMINT BREATH FRESHENER

LIP & COSMETIC

LIP BALM TIN – NUT

LIP BALM TUBE

HONEY LIP BALM – NUT

LIPSHIMMER – ALL SHADES

LIPSTICKS – ALL SHADES

LIFEGUARDS CHOICE LIP BALM

LIP GLOSS – ALL SHADES

EYESHADOW- ALL SHADES

TINTED MOISTURIZER – ALL SHADES

BLUSHING CRÈME – ALL SHADES

CONCEALING CRÈME – ALL SHADES

POWDERED FACIAL TISSUES

EYE & BROW LINERS

VANISHING POWDER

HEALTHY TREATMENT

HT EVENING PRIMROSE CRÈME – NUT

HT MARSHMALLOW CRÈME

HT PORE REFINING MASK

HT TONER

HT SHEA BUTTER HAND REPAIR – NUT

HT ROYAL JELLY EYE CRÈME

HT PARSLEY BLEMISH STICK

HAIR CARE

HERBAL TREATMENT SHAMPOO

SUPER SHINY GRAPEFRUIT SHAMPOO

SUPER SHINY GRAPEFRUIT CONDITIONER

MISC

HERBAL BLEMISH STICK

HERBAL DEODORANT

INSECT REPELLENT

THEARPEUTIC BATH CRYSTALS

HERBAL DEFENSE OINTMENT – NUT

HERBAL MILK BATH – NUT, DAIRY

Sarah Milkovich

Retail Web Coordinator

Burt's Bees, Inc.

info@burtsbees.com

Guest BERNESES

Thank you! I think I'll go with it for now. I've been using it religiously every day for months and you would think that if I was using that much, I'd be sick everyday.

Judy- I just picked up some Neutrogena lip stuff (just in case I had to abandon ship) and it's nice. I bought a lip gloss, it's not sticky and tastes pretty decent. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

I love Neutrogena Lip Gloss!! I have a bunch of them :P

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I'm just basically sticking with neutrogena. I did contact L'oreal -- endless COMFORT lipstick is gluten-free. I just sent a REALLY scathing letter to Covergirl, because I tried to find out about their newest lipstick. Got the same old CYA letter that you usually get. Tried to save the letter to post, but I'll get it back, I'm sure. UGGGGGHHHHHHHH it's seems impossible to get something that is TRULY "gluten-free" -- and no company wants to take responsibility for finding out what they're purching from "their distributors". Just makes me mad.

Guest BERNESES
and no company wants to take responsibility for finding out what they're purching from "their distributors". Just makes me mad.

That's what really makes me mad too! Especially since one of our no no 4 ingredients is a major allergen to boot!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Shoot can't get the 'more than one post' to copy-

Bernese said--

Thank you! I think I'll go with it for now. I've been using it religiously every day for months and you would think that if I was using that much, I'd be sick everyday.

Judy- I just picked up some Neutrogena lip stuff (just in case I had to abandon ship) and it's nice. I bought a lip gloss, it's not sticky and tastes pretty decent.

Robbin Posted Yesterday, 11:21 PM

I have to add that I bought the watermelon about a month ago and after using it for about 3 days, I got severely sore lips and fine blister-like bumps on my top lip, so I gave it up. I was really burned about that since it is such a great color and so smooth. (Not cheap

Bernese- I agree it is probably ok for you sorry if you went out to get something else already. :(

Robbin--It seems you and I have the same reacton.. :(

Maybe they changed the ingred :blink::blink::blink: becasue i know they changing some of the peppermint ingr as they found them too strong... :ph34r:

WHO KNOWS AND WHO CARES AT THIS POINT..IT'S TGIF AND AGAIN. SORRY IF I CAUSED ALARM BUT I KOW WHAT ONE WOMAN TOLD ME BUT AGAIN

WHAT' GOOD FOR ME MIGHT NOT BE FOR YOU

BERNESE. IS THIS NEUTROGENA LIP 'STUFF' IN COLORS....I WILL CK IT OUT. THANKS SO MUCH

JUDY IN PHILLY

Guest BERNESES

Judy- Oh my gosh, no worries at all!!!! I got some Neutrogena as a backup but sometimes it's good when someone shkes you and makes you think because even though I've gotten better with this I still need reminding that ingredients and suppliers change all the time and you always need to read, question and confirm. I'm glad you posted it because as we all know you can't get comfortable and you always need to be on your guard.

Archived