• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

pattyanne

Skin Itching As A Symptom?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for almost 10 months. I have had a few accidents and mainly notice bloating, C, and brain fog. I have always had sensitive skin, itchy with little or no eczema type rash, just something that is more a bother than anything. I know that I was glutened two nights ago and noticed that the next day I itched from head to toe - no rash, not particularly dry skin but it drove me nuts. Benedryl took the edge off but I am wondering if anyone else gets this type of reaction. I realized after the fact that I haven't had itchy skin as bad lately so that is why I'm wondering about a connection. Yikes, talking about it is making my skin crawl again.

I thought that I was completely gluten free, but I had constant itching on my stomach. I contacted the manufacturers of the shampoo and body soap that I was using, and found out that they possibly contained ingredients that could be a source. I switched shampoos and soap, and the itching has improved.

Cindy

Thanks for the confirmation. I don't have an actual diagnosis. My blood tests were negative, but I had already been eating gluten free at the time. My brother is celiac and I was diagnosed with IBS at 8 (I'm 45). My doctor's advise was "if it makes you sick, don't eat it" which I had already decided. I still sometimes wonder if I'm not just a hypochondriac - KWIM. I didn't actually notice the lack of itching until this glutening - I noticed it before the stomach symptoms. Guess I'm not crazy.

Thanks for the confirmation. I don't have an actual diagnosis. My blood tests were negative, but I had already been eating gluten free at the time. My brother is celiac and I was diagnosed with IBS at 8 (I'm 45). My doctor's advise was "if it makes you sick, don't eat it" which I had already decided. I still sometimes wonder if I'm not just a hypochondriac - KWIM. I didn't actually notice the lack of itching until this glutening - I noticed it before the stomach symptoms. Guess I'm not crazy.

Yep, I also get the kind of itching that drives me to the brink of insanity, and keeps me awake at night. I have had bloody stripes all over my back from scratching so much (with a wooden back scratcher).