• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guhlia

Incredible Edible Gluten-free Food For Kids

Rate this topic

Okay, I have to admit that I'm not big on cookbooks. I've never been able to follow a recipe in my life because they just don't use enough this or add enough that. Anyway, this cookbook is absolutely amazing!!! I'm ready to go out and buy all the gluten free cookbooks on the market. I made crustless quiche, banana bread, and snickerdoodles out of this book (while almost following recipes) and everything turned out AMAZING!!! My DH said he can't tell a difference at all with anything. Anyway, for those of you looking for an easy-to-follow cookbook, I would highly recommend this. It has a lot of kid-friendly recipes too, which is a big bonus for me since I have a two year old.

Are you saying your husband is a kid?

Ha... Well, technically I was talking about my two year old... But, YES... He's definitely "young at heart".

Guest Robbin

Guhlia, What kind of flours does the author use for the recipes? I am excited to hear about this book. I have never seen it at our bookstores here. Thanks for the info! Wow snickerdoodles... :D

This is the first cookbook I bought and I really like it. The sloppy joes, for example, are no harder to make than from a mix, except for dirtying a few measuring spoons, and everyone in my family said they were better than the mix. I make the banana bread about 2 or 3x a month. I get 3 or 4 mini loaves out of one recipe. Ty takes it every day for lunch at school. The potato salad dressing is also very good. Couldn't tell the difference from our old way at all.

I'm a big fan of this book.

I say it's mostly white/brown rice, potato/tapioca/corn starches, and the occasional garfava.

The sugar cookies earned rave reviews from sugar cookie eaters at Christmas. I neither bake nor eat them, but no one who ate them could tell the difference.

The snickerdoodles have potato, tapioca and rice.

Linda's right. It's mostly white rice, brown rice, potato starch, and tapioca flours. They also use xantham gum in almost everything. Honestly, though, the stuff in this book is WAY better than any other gluten free recipes that I've tried for breads/cookies. Enjoy!!!

I also LOVE this cookbook... I have made several things and made only slight modifications. We only have sorghum flour/tapioca/potato starch as our flour mix and everything I've made has turned out great. I currently have the book from the library, but I'm going to buy it!

I've made the fig bars (but left out the figs and spread it w/raspberry jam), the sugar cookies, the busy day cake and a few other things.

For those that aren't dairy intolerant, try adding cheddar cheese to the garlic biscuits. Mmmmmm... It tastes like the cheddar bay biscuits from Red Lobster. They are fantastic like this! They reheat exceptionally well too. :)

I actually don't like this very much, everything is not very healthy, and feels like it just sits in your stomach, i didn't find many recipies in it that i liked,

just my opinion, don't let it stop you from buying it!

I actually don't like this very much, everything is not very healthy, and feels like it just sits in your stomach, i didn't find many recipies in it that i liked,

just my opinion, don't let it stop you from buying it!

I'm so glad to hear that someone else feels like gluten-free stuff "just sits in your stomach!" I liked all the gluten-free breads and cakes that I tried--but that's exactly how they felt afterwards! I actually feel better stomachwise if I just make things that wouldn't have called for gluten anyway (like Asian food). Even something with a little soy sauce (I use La Choy, but every now and then I slip up andeat something like seaweed salad that already has normal soy sauce in it) seems to have little or no effect on me, while gluten-free toast (even thought I really like it) feel like bricks an hour later, and my tummy gasses up and I look six months pregnant. Go figure. :blink:

However, for the occasional cookie, I might just buy this book anyway (snickerdoodles!!!! :)... )