• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

covsooze

celiac disease In Toddler Without Poor Weight?

Rate this topic

My DS, 3, has always been big, both in terms of weight and height, staying on the same centile since birth. He's had celiac disease bloods done as both me and my sister have celiac disease. his bloods were negative. he does however have squishy poos on a regular basis - sometimes 3 a day. Am I just being overly anxious thinking he may have celiac disease? My GI has said they wouldn't do a biopsy on him unless he started losing weight (fair enough, I wouldn't want to put him through that unless obviously necessary), but they won't diagnose on diet alone. As he's a fussy toddler, I don't really want to try him gluten-free unless my concerns are justified. What do you think?

I never had weight issues. Always been very normal in that area. Just had problems with my bowels and bloating. I was diagnosed with gluten intolorence but not with Celiac (no difference really..treatment is the same).

Guest Jack's mom
My DS, 3, has always been big, both in terms of weight and height, staying on the same centile since birth. He's had celiac disease bloods done as both me and my sister have celiac disease. his bloods were negative. he does however have squishy poos on a regular basis - sometimes 3 a day. Am I just being overly anxious thinking he may have celiac disease? My GI has said they wouldn't do a biopsy on him unless he started losing weight (fair enough, I wouldn't want to put him through that unless obviously necessary), but they won't diagnose on diet alone. As he's a fussy toddler, I don't really want to try him gluten-free unless my concerns are justified. What do you think?

My son was off the growth chart big until about 18 months and now he is 2 and is slowly dropping down into the normal range. I don't think weight loss is always a symptom. My GI is hesitant to do the biopsy also until he loses more weight. We went ahead and went gluten free on the advice of our allergist, because of constant diarrhea. It has only been two weeks but he seems to be improving and we can already tell when he is accidently exposed. I think it would be worth it to try the diet, my son was extremly fussy before too.

Guest elysealec

My daughter who was diagnosed with celiac disease was off the charts both weight and height for her entire life. Only symptom was anxiety, so weight loss is not a good indicator. I have had the same questions with one of my other children. I've had his blood tested twice and he is always negative, but he constantly has bowel issues and is on the small skinny side but always has been, so ped is not concerned. I am going to have the genetic test done, so I know at least if I can rule it out. Maybe, that's an option for you as well. Good luck.