Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

tannilisa

Fever From Gluten?

Rate this topic

Hi, my husband has celiac disease and since last Sunday has progressivly felt worse, he ate at The Outback resteraunt from thier supposed gluten free menu. He came home that night with a nasty blister on his upper lip, he says it came on as he was eating, ever since then his whole body aches, and he's had a fever since yesterday, tonight is it close to 101, he has no symptoms other than the achy body. I'm a bit concerned and was wondering if he's had contact with gluten, could it cause fever like this? I'm keeping an eye on the temp. right now and will definitly take him to the ER if it gets too high, thanks for any help or info :)

Tanya~

I had the same effect after eating oysters out of season. I had terrible cramps and a fever and I bit the head off of anyone who talked to me. With a conpromised immune system, I bet he got into some food that was not fresh or perhaps contaminated. It will go away, just keep alot of fluids in him and he'll feel better by morning.

Maybe he ate some bad beef, it happens. Sometimes, every time we get sick we try to blame it on Celiac. Sometimes, it can be just bad food. I think that it will pass soon. If his fever gets past l03, maybe you should take him to the ER. Water, and lots of it should reduce the fever and a cool shower , Aleve to reduce the fever.

Research what he ate. Hope he feels better soon. Hope he feel better soon.

Lisa

It doesn't sound like any reaction to gluten I've ever heard of (though that doesn't mean someone hasn't had it). Also, I know people who know they've been glutened fast, but not usually while they're still eating (unless it was a long meal I guess).

But sounds more like some kind of unfortunate flu. Typically food poisoning doesn't involve fever.

Exposure to gluten *can* cause spiking fevers and terrible joint pains in some people. Especially if they've had other infections recently or something else to weaken their bodies. It's a symptom of the autoimmune response. The mouth blister is also a typical gluten thing.

Definitely try Tylenol and cold cloths to bring down the fevers. Also, oddly, hot baths help the joint aches. Don't know why.

Bring him in to an ER if he gets a fever over 103 or has trouble breathing. Antihistamines can help.

(NB the oysters reaction could be a shellfish allergy, not bad oysters. I get fevers from scallops. And it's unusual not to puke or have severe GI distress from food poisoning)

I always run a fever when I have anything with yeast - I went years with fever problems before I figured it out. I say it is a possiblity but he could also be sick - who knows sometimes!

Guest BERNESES

I'm so glad Ii saw this topic. When I get gluten in me, I do run a fever. It's not a real fever- my normal body temp is usually 95-96 range, when I get glutened it spikes up to 98-99 which technically isn't a fever, but to me it feels like it is. I always thought it would make sense because if you're immune system is mounting an attack on something (a germ, an ifection, bacteria) your temp usually goes up.

I'm suffering from an exposure now (my first this year) and have an elevated temperature. Chills, muscle aches, joint pain, typical flu-like symptoms, but no respiratory problems. I've been successful eating out at PF Chang's, they appear to get it right (at least I haven't had problems in ten-or-so visits). I do take my own silverware/chopsticks, however.

Dirty forks and plates are a chronic problem with restaurants that claim gluten-free-capable... it simply isn't on the radar.

I hope he's feeling better; I'm wishing the clock could spin forward by three weeks to clear my situation.

Hi, my husband has celiac disease and since last Sunday has progressivly felt worse, he ate at The Outback resteraunt from thier supposed gluten free menu. He came home that night with a nasty blister on his upper lip, he says it came on as he was eating, ever since then his whole body aches, and he's had a fever since yesterday, tonight is it close to 101, he has no symptoms other than the achy body. I'm a bit concerned and was wondering if he's had contact with gluten, could it cause fever like this? I'm keeping an eye on the temp. right now and will definitly take him to the ER if it gets too high, thanks for any help or info :)

Tanya~

I know this thread is over 10-years old but I'm sitting here in front of the computer, shivering, with headache, fever (101.5) and joint pain. We did eat at a new restaurant yesterday and within hours I knew I had been glutened (from the stomach pain, gas, headache, etc.) And I've had similar symptoms in the past from being glutened, though not quite as high fever.

But I've NO doubt that my current state is due to being glutened. 

6 hours ago, GraemeH said:

I know this thread is over 10-years old but I'm sitting here in front of the computer, shivering, with headache, fever (101.5) and joint pain. We did eat at a new restaurant yesterday and within hours I knew I had been glutened (from the stomach pain, gas, headache, etc.) And I've had similar symptoms in the past from being glutened, though not quite as high fever.

But I've NO doubt that my current state is due to being glutened. 

Hope you feel better soon!  

Say, you should be dining at Gourmet Girls Girls on Oracle.  Open for dinners now.  Also you can get breakfast and lunch at Dedicated located on Speedway.  We eat there each time we are in town.  Both are 100% gluten free!

Dedicated has Challah bread baked on Fridays.  It goes fast!  

Edited by cyclinglady