• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Hoosiergirl

Accurate Endoscopy Results?

Rate this topic

I started to suspect that I might be celiac in mid-February and tried to cut out gluten as much as I could. I took a blood test in mid-March after overloading on gluten for one day (after being off it for about a month). The gluten specific test came back normal (IgA-3) but the gluten sensitive came back positive (IgG-24). My doctor wasn't convinced that gluten was causing my symptoms so he ordered some stool sample tests which all came back normal. I just met with a GI doc this week so I could schedule an endoscopy. The procedure is scheduled for two weeks from today. The doc instructed me to have a full gluten diet for the next two weeks so that they could get accurate results. Is this enough time? Or more than likely will my results come back normal since I haven't been consuming very much gluten for the last 2 months? Should I postpone the endoscopy for another week or more?

Thanks for your input!

Sheri

I started to suspect that I might be celiac in mid-February and tried to cut out gluten as much as I could. I took a blood test in mid-March after overloading on gluten for one day (after being off it for about a month). The gluten specific test came back normal (IgA-3) but the gluten sensitive came back positive (IgG-24). My doctor wasn't convinced that gluten was causing my symptoms so he ordered some stool sample tests which all came back normal. I just met with a GI doc this week so I could schedule an endoscopy. The procedure is scheduled for two weeks from today. The doc instructed me to have a full gluten diet for the next two weeks so that they could get accurate results. Is this enough time? Or more than likely will my results come back normal since I haven't been consuming very much gluten for the last 2 months? Should I postpone the endoscopy for another week or more?

Thanks for your input!

Sheri

Hi Sheri--welcome! Two weeks really isn't enough time to be back on gluten after going off for a while. It takes more like 3 months of eating gluten every day. The stool tests that doctors do won't tell you a thing about Celiac. Since you had a positive blood result, if you don't feel you need the biopsy, you could just go gluten-free now. Of course, that's your call. Remember that a biopsy can rule Celiac in, but it can not rule it out. Best of luck with whatever you deceide to do! :)