This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

House Tv Show Will Feature Celiac Disease

irish

Guhlia Rising Star

Thanks Karen. I saw your post. I'm so glad to see that we, as a group, are able to reach out to the viewers of House and educate them on the REALITY of celiac disease. Thanks so much for taking the time to help out. Everyone else, this is a HUGE opportunity for us!!! This is an awesome chance for us to talk about Celiac to the mainstream community! THEY made a TV show, let's come together and educate THEM. Even if we only help one person, our time is worth it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jknnej Collaborator

Duh-I just posted on this before seeing this thread! LOL

It was GREAT-I watch House anyway and had NO clue they were doing this.

LOVE Hugh Laurie-in fact, all the guys on this show are HOT! LOL

Loved when he said, "Am I gonna have to drop the N bomb?" sooooo funny. I laughed for like, 5 minutes!!!

Ok, anyone that watches this show regularly would not be angry with the outcome of the show; sh!!!t happens and this happens to be a very realistic show. They are NEVER politically correct and anyone who watches House would know that!!! They aren't making a martyr out of the woman; I'm sure they didn't do it intentionally so get panties out of wad.

And, I seriously DOUBT they did this to raise awareness; it's a TV show and they always throw a quick diagnosis together at the end. People have to stop taking this so seriously; it's just TV!!!

num1habsfan Rising Star

I just finished watching the episode...

And its making me cry...not sure why? But I'm crying my eyes out...

~lisa~

elonwy Enthusiast

I loved it. I whooped and hollered when I heard the words Villious Atrophy, Celiac and gluten free. Now way more people think this is a real thing, and have heard abuot it. I keep trying to explain to my friends about how it made me crazy and they're like "whatever" and I know I can go "see told ya". That makes me happy.

I love House.

Elonwy

tarnalberry Community Regular

I was pretty happy with the case. I wish they would have done a little more history on her symptoms, but so be it. It's a drama show, designed to wow viewers and draw in the ratings, and this'll do it. Yes, it may not be the most representative picture on celiac disease, but it was spoken, on national TV, on a very popular show, and in a very serious light. I think that most people, after some discussion, will realize that this is a popular television show, and that it's not 'gospel truth'.

Vitamin deficiency can be a *serious* thing, and I wasn't really surprised they'd go that route, as it can cause more suspense.

Quite frankly, I'm happy they did this one, less than the idea episode we would have liked to see. It was done, it was aired, and it got out there. We're not exactly objective observers on this one. ;-)

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Actually, over at the House forum, this episode is causing quite a stir. The fact that the scenes of the baby in the water shocked alot of people and the fact that the baby died is causing quite the controversy. Most over there agree, this is the most memorable of House episodes - and it was about Celiac! Yeah!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Personally,

I did not mind the storyline or how it was presented. With regards to celiac disease in the mass media, I am all about "Baby Steps". This was a first and there will be a second and a third...

The great thing about this show was that it encourages conversation on this topic in forums other than Celiac websites.

Furthermore, the normal trials and tribulations of celiac disease are not quite "intetresting enough" to do a primetime Nielsens leading show justice. I don't think a show about a girl having chrionic diahrea would make the show. In this episode, they actually covered a range of topics (vitamin deficiency, mental health, spousal neglect, depression, infant celiac disease, stomach cancer, etc)

In this case, I subscribe to the notion that any media is good media.

It is our job to take what House has given us and educate, differentiate and explain to those who will listen. At the very least, they showed that celiac disease is not a "pesky diet issue".

JMO

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nereid Newbie

I'm hearing both rage and thankfulness about this episode from friends and seeing the same mixed response on this forum.

"House" is a medical show that goes for shock value. It's about the ratings. If you haven't watched it before I can see where you could be shocked by it.

Celiac disease has been ignored and downplayed for so long that just about any exposure is good exposure. As a friend of mine just said people will be asking questions. This was on national TV! That is a good thing, even if we all wouldn't have written the script that way.

Although the seizures in the show were not the type of seizures I can be vulnerable to if contaminated, seizures are a reality for some of us celiacs. This is a life threatening aspect of the disease, not only because of the cardio and neuro complications during the seizures, but because of being injured while falling, etc. To watch this epiode was very emotional for me, because I've had seizures over the past 25 years while being told "you just passed out", "you'll grow out of it", "you're just stressed out". I've been told to wear a medic alert bracelet for it, but what do I say on it if that aspect of celiac disease doesn't have a proper name and treatment?

Watching this show means what has been reality for me my whole life is now other's reality also. This might finally jolt some people into realizing the seriousness of what we deal with. I have waited my whole life for this aspect of the disease to be legitimized.

There is credible evidence that celiac is linked to autism, schizophrenia, etc. It makes sense, gluten is a neurotoxin for celiacs. Scorpion venom is a neurotoxin. My anxiety and panic went away when I eliminated all foods I was allergic to from my diet. Also, celiacs frequently have trouble absorbing B vitamins, the anti-stress vitamins. It is logical that celiacs experience more "mental" symptoms when they're ill because they're not mental, they're physical. Eliminate the physical problem and you'll probably see the "mental" problems go away.

While the celiac gene is present in us since conception, it may not be triggered until a stressful event or medical emergency. That part of the show was right on. Childbirth is a major physical stressor so it is a strong candidate for triggering the gene. That is very real. I don't know any celiacs who've heard voices either, and no, they did not mention the painful and explosive bowel symptoms that go along with the disease. But it's a start. It is unlikely that celiacs wrote the script, and do we really expect non-celiacs to fully understand what we deal with? If anything, this should be a call to action. Start writing your legislators. Send letters to the editors of your local newspapers. Start generating awareness. Use this opportunity.

So while the show was controversial and maybe not something we'd want grandma to watch, I'm glad it was on.

There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world; and that is an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Nereid Newbie

Two other things I meant to add:

Fox may have consulted with GIG for this episode, but I know of no reason GIG would be privy to the script. Meaning that GIG had no way of knowing how they would use the information. I applaud GIG for taking that risk because of the awareness it created.

Secondly, another aspect of the episode that was very real was when House was talking to the alcoholic father re: how he treated his sick wife. Some people, even the ones closest to you, may become distant when you have medical issues, especially issues no one can explain for years. Stigma, judgment, and abuse do happen to people who've done nothing other than get sick. They may be called "mental" simply because others are ignorant to what they're going through. Relationships can suffer terrible damage when people aren't willing to face or help with their partner's health issues, selfishly seeing them as a constraint on their own life. The consequences of this disease can be more than physical-- kudos to the show for pointing that out.

debmidge Rising Star

...ok, when is the repeat? Missed it - forgot it was Tuesday.

D.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I was thrilled to see this!!!! I had just about given up hope 45 minutes into the show, thinking there is no way this is going to be about Celiac. Then when I heard him say "do a biopsy on the baby", I knew it was coming. I was so excited, I was yelling at the TV, and I too teared up a little bit. It was great that such a popular, mainstream show was totally about Celiac. I figured at the most it would have been one of the diseases he rule out, and that would be that. Yeah, it was dramatic, but that's House. I don't expect them to educate the public about the disease. So all in all, I was absolutely thrilled with it.

Moongirl Community Regular

I thought the episode was great, but I was confused on a few things....when the doc said that the babies potas. levels kept spiking cause medicine was not being absorbed....i thought when they gave meds (with gluten) through IV into the blood it wouldnt bother a person with celiac...(llike i said this is just what i read before, so it may not be true) THats why people with vitamins defc. dont take them orally cause it will not be absorbed, rather they get shots. :blink: Can anyone clarify?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

After reading this thread I do agree with 'with the regular watchers' and i'm happy too that the show aired for all the 'personal info you guys shared' It did again create a interesting thread and yet still we continue to learn. Please forgive my 'it su****' comment. It was written in haste (i usually don't do that) I usually think things over before posting.

I, however; did not appreciate "jknnej's" comments paraphrased that it may be...."I'm sure they didn't do it intentionally so get panties out of wad. People have to stop taking this so seriously; it's just TV!!!

Judy In Philly

jenvan Collaborator

Hopefully this isn't redundant (I don't want to go back and read 3 pages!) but here is the episode summary in case some of you didn't see it: Open Original Shared Link

let-the -sun-in Newbie

Hi all i personaly enjoyed the show but i did ask my husband if he wanted to turn it over because its was too close to home. I have seizures due to being left for 3 years before i was diagnosed (which i was hoping would go when i went gluten free .) Also i have now got brain atrophy because of nutritional deficiency and am still suffering now with trigeminal neualgia which as just started a month ago. i wish i could go see house and stay they till i was totaly diagnosied with all my problems. i went into hospital when i had my first seizure they ran blood tests and after 2 days sent me home said they had no idea what was wrong. on his programme they stay there until they have a cure. all i can say is i wish that was true in the real world.

jenvan Collaborator
I was pretty happy with the case. I wish they would have done a little more history on her symptoms, but so be it. It's a drama show, designed to wow viewers and draw in the ratings, and this'll do it. Yes, it may not be the most representative picture on celiac disease, but it was spoken, on national TV, on a very popular show, and in a very serious light. I think that most people, after some discussion, will realize that this is a popular television show, and that it's not 'gospel truth'.

Vitamin deficiency can be a *serious* thing, and I wasn't really surprised they'd go that route, as it can cause more suspense.

Quite frankly, I'm happy they did this one, less than the idea episode we would have liked to see. It was done, it was aired, and it got out there. We're not exactly objective observers on this one. ;-)

I agree with Tiffany...I'm not as concerned with the content, just glad it was on the show. As Tiffany mentioned...the show is just concerned with the show...not with the disease.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I hadn't heard prior to watching the show that it was going to ba about celiac. I am just glad that someone made the effort to do a show about celiac. While we may not all agree on the way it was portrayed I am just glad that they spoke about it at all. I think they took the worse case and focused on that. But, as we all know people have died from complications of this disease. It might bring even more people into their doctors to be tested and thereby raise more awareness and then we might have a bigger selection of foods on the market. But at least people that have remained undiagnosed will possibly be tested and get some help.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Will someone PM me a recap of the show. I wasn't home to see it.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

done.

Hugs.

Karen

Guest nini

when I dropped of my daughter at school this morning, her teachers assistant said that she had watched the show last night and thought about us... it opened up a dialog about the symptoms and she realizes that while House's presentation of the case was an extreme, she said that it sounded like things that relatives that she knew had gone through, I'm happy that this is opening up opportunities for dialog about this with more people. And yes, the show went to the extreme but that's what House is all about anyway. My own personal experience with this insidious disease, while def. not as extreme, was def. similar...

jenvan Collaborator

Jillian go here to read episode recap: Open Original Shared Link

kimjoy24 Apprentice

I watch House regularly and was excited to hear about Celiac being part of an episode. I think they did a good job. The fact that House mentioned "a splash of soy sauce" suggests to me that someone did some research, whether GIG was consulted or not. Frankly, I was not aware that soy sauce had wheat in it until I had already started a gluten-free diet, and I know others on this board have expressed the same thing.

For those that normally don't watch the show or perhaps found it a bit offensive, it's always an extreme show that is refreshingly politically incorrect (in my opinion). There are tons of things on each episode that are not based in reality, such as the staff raiding the patient's homes looking for clues to their condition. Also, my partner is a former vet tech and noticed how until just the past couple of episodes, you rarely ever saw a nurse on the show, instead the doctors did all of the mundane procedures, which would never happen in a real hospital.

Bottom line for me, yes some people will think now that all celiacs are prone to drowning their kids, but at least it puts a spotlight on the condition, and as others mentioned, can be the basis for a dialogue with those we encounter in daily life.

penguin Community Regular

Yes, I understand the shock value. Yes, I understand going to extremes. Yes, I understand the need for good television.

I *do not* like how Celiac was made akin to schitzophrenia and other psychological diseases. Yes, there is a link, a big link, but now we all look nuts.

Imagine that you or nobody you know knew anything about Celiac. What would you think?

jkmunchkin Rising Star

You guys are quick!! Thanks Jen and Karen!

jenvan Collaborator
And yes, the show went to the extreme but that's what House is all about anyway.

Very true!

Archived