This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

House Tv Show Will Feature Celiac Disease

irish

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
OMG I used to have those weird bruises all over my body too and my Dr.s office even threatened to call the police on my husband! I assured them he never ever laid a hand on me, they backed off but I don't think they ever believed me. I also had nosebleeds on a daily basis, THAT was annoying. And did I mention the seizures? Yeah, those were my most insidious symptom and the first symptom to return when I'm accidentally glutened.

I think it's excellent that House did a show on this and it was in typical House fashion...

weird bruises are from vitamin K def. ? and that can be caused by celiac?!

OMG. I had the blood test when my girls did and they said I "carry it" but it wasn't turned on yet.... I get bruises so easy and I forget where (like once I got a bruise from my kid holding my finger while she was nursing)

*goes back to the doctor*

see? the show did help someone. or at least you guys did.....

I guess, really though, it would be easier to just go gluten free, since 1/2 of my house is anyway right?

sorry for the off topic.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient
OMG I used to have those weird bruises all over my body too and my Dr.s office even threatened to call the police on my husband! I assured them he never ever laid a hand on me, they backed off but I don't think they ever believed me. I also had nosebleeds on a daily basis, THAT was annoying.

I had those bruises, too! I remember I was seeking help from a chiropractor/accupuncturist, and he mentioned them--and asked me questions about my husband while checking points on my body that might indicate fear/anxiety! The bruises that were obviously caused by slight trauma were purple, but I would also get brownish ones for seemingly no reason at all. I know I was anemic, but never thought about vitamin K.

jknnej Collaborator

It's a good thing I am not on the Delphi boards then! Cus' I love House and all the fuss really pisses me off!!!! I thought it was a FAB show and was just happy to hear celiac disease mentioned at all! I know it is not pc to say so, but I firmly believe Americans have become a bunch of whiners about so many things. Not everyone, of course. But anyone who would write Fox just to say they didn't like the show because of the way celiac disease was portrayed? That person should spend their time volunteering someplace instead of trying to change a fiction based television show. Trying to change the world is a good thing. Trying to change a fiction DRAMA TV show is a colossal waste of time.

I'm sure some posters won't like this, either and that is A-Okay. I don't think I should have to lie about how I feel. I think there are plenty of great people out there who make a HUGE difference in people's lives in positive ways, so I'm not pessimistic about ALL of America. Just the people who would write to Fox over this!

Choose your battles in life, and learn to try and make a difference where it is really important; don't die on this mountain. It's not worth it.

Go House!

Guest nini

LOL! I happen to agree with you!

DingoGirl Enthusiast
LOL! I happen to agree with you!

Ditto, Nini. It's a show made for entertainment!

Guest nini

one of my favorite things about that show is that they are so politically incorrect! Gregory House cracks me up with his comments! I wish my Dr.s had been like him!

Guest Viola
I had those bruises, too! I remember I was seeking help from a chiropractor/accupuncturist, and he mentioned them--and asked me questions about my husband while checking points on my body that might indicate fear/anxiety! The bruises that were obviously caused by slight trauma were purple, but I would also get brownish ones for seemingly no reason at all. I know I was anemic, but never thought about vitamin K.

:lol: You should have seen the look on my doctor's face one time when I went in for a pap test.

A couple of days before we had bought two new horses and because we didn't have a trailer I elected to ride them home. Now keep in mind this was in April ... the very first ride of the spring season and I was riding them approx. 18 miles. Well .. riding one and leading the other through a mountain trail, over wind fall trees etc. Now does this give you an idea just where all the bruising was? :lol: I saw the look on my doctor's face and right away said "Oh no ... horse back riding!!!" :lol: I just had to crack right up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

LOL

I get the bruising, too. I remember counting 11 bruises on my arms mostly, and my legs some, all at one time. I couldn't tell you where any came from. I looked as if I had been in an automobile accident. In fact, one time I was in an accident and had a bruise exactly where the seatbelt was.

As a kid, I got nose bleeds all the time.

I had made the connection with the bruising, but not the nosebleeds.

Nereid Newbie

Thanks to the observant person who told us about the links on the House website--

Open Original Shared Link

A link to celiac disease now appears there.

SCORE!!!

Except they spelled it wrong.

There's some other good links there too.

But like the show or not, celiac is getting attention! Imagine how many people this could help!

I said people with both viewpoints should write Fox, to chastise them or to thank them. Maybe if we thank them enough they're give our disease future consideration, or some of our other food allergies.

I have always bruised easily. And I'm a bleeder too. My dentist had me checked for hemophilia. I'm not, but we celiacs just seem a little more fragile than "normal" people. But, as the saying goes, normal is just a spin cycle on the washing machine.

Yes, I like House because he says it like it is.

The next time you feel like complaining, remember that your garbage disposal probably eats better than 30 percent of the people in the world. -Robert Orben

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Oh my Good Lord! This is on that link!

The Web contains information about celiac disease, some of which is not accurate. The best people for advice about diagnosing and treating celiac disease are one's doctor and dietitian.

Talk about leading them astray!!!! Those are the LEAST knowledgeable about celiac!

Karen

Guest Viola
Oh my Good Lord! This is on that link!

Talk about leading them astray!!!! Those are the LEAST knowledgeable about celiac!

Karen

:lol::lol: If I didn't laugh ... this would really be sad

gf4life Enthusiast
I'm quite rushed today, but I remember that too. If I remember right House said the drug was administered to the baby (showed scenes of Chase injecting baby) and wheat gluten was a binder in the drug. We had better double check where we stand on i.v.'s and injected medications.

I'm sure that part had to be a plotline inconsistency, they had to find a way to justify biopsying the baby... they could've just have easily said that there was gluten in the breastmilk, which of course hasn't been proven either, but a lot of us believe that there is gluten in breastmilk... It's a TV show! but we are going to have to answer a lot of questions, but this is a good thing because people are talking about this!

Okay, I finally got caught up reading all 16 pages of posts! I did a little research and according to the summary of the show on Fox.com House questions the other docs on the "polystyrene treatments", and they figure out it is the wheat starch binder...So I googled polystyrene and came up with what I believe might answer our questions here.

Sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Kayexalate®, Kionex®) is a medication used to treat high potassium levels. It may be taken orally or by rectum, as an enema, and functions as a potassium-binding resin in the intestines. Typical doses range from 15-60gm every 4-6 hours as needed. Side effects can include electrolyte disturbances such as low potassium levels, low calcium levels, and sodium retention. Intestinal disturbances are also common, including constipation, nausea and vomiting, and lack of appetite.

So the baby must have been given a feeding tube with the gluten containing meds in it, and that is certainly something we need to be aware of when receiving medical care. But also unless the baby was terribly sensitive, the few hours on gluten would not have been enough to cause even slight villous atrophy, some of the damage would have had to come from the breastmilk. Remember the mom commenting to the dad right before he left for work that she couldn't wait for the "colic" to be over! So the baby was already experiencing intestinal distress. Also the baby was having problems absorbing the meds even before the "polystyrene treatments"...

I love House. I watch it every week. I had already read many comments online about what you guys thought of the episode, so it left little to be surprised about. My husband was surprised. I was able to watch it with an open mind. I found it interesting to note that the mom had more mental issues, and the baby seemed to have more GI issues. That is very typical with Celiac, isn't it! No two of us have identical symptoms. Sure many of us have similar symptoms, but never identical.

I do know one family who had only one son (in his 50's now) who was diagnosed with Celiac as a child. This was before they knew so much about the genetics of the disease and no one else in the family ever got tested. One of the brothers commited suicide, and the mom and sister all have serious mental issues, as does the one son who is diagnosed because he does NOT follow a gluten-free diet. He says his only symptom is DH and it isn't severe enough for him to give up gluten. It is obvious to me that DH is not his only symptom, but there is no arguing with some people. The mom never hurt the kids physically, but she did abandon them all for a few years and then sudenly waltz back into their lives. This was back in the 60's and the kids were never told where she was. The son (with Celiac) told me that he thinks she was in a mental institution. Chances are pretty high that most of that family all had Celiac Disease.

Anyhow, I think it was a good episode. Very much along the lines of House. Someone mentioned earlier that the Celiac patient was going to be back on next weeks episode, can you point me in the direction where you got that information? I looked all over the Fox site and couldn't find it. They are probably trying to convince her to allow them to treat her cancer, as well as they might mention the diet again. Celiac isn't exactly a one episode disease.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Kayexalate®, Kionex®) is a medication used to treat high potassium levels. It may be taken orally or by rectum, as an enema, and functions as a potassium-binding resin in the intestines. Typical doses range from 15-60gm every 4-6 hours as needed. Side effects can include electrolyte disturbances such as low potassium levels, low calcium levels, and sodium retention. Intestinal disturbances are also common, including constipation, nausea and vomiting, and lack of appetite.

So the baby must have been given a feeding tube with the gluten containing meds in it, and that is certainly something we need to be aware of when receiving medical care. But also unless the baby was terribly sensitive, the few hours on gluten would not have been enough to cause even slight villous atrophy, some of the damage would have had to come from the breastmilk. Remember the mom commenting to the dad right before he left for work that she couldn't wait for the "colic" to be over! So the baby was already experiencing intestinal distress. Also the baby was having problems absorbing the meds even before the "polystyrene treatments"...

Just to clarify (lots of people seem confused on this one), the baby died from having potassium levels that were too high. The drugs were supposed to bring them down, but they didn't because they weren't absorbed due to the previously existing (and apparently extensive) damage. One would presume, then that the drug had been administered rectally. Interestingly enough, when I googled SPS, I never found a reference that current manufacturers use gluten as a binder in their products. ;-)

As for the woman being on next week's show, I had read somewhere that the name of the actress who played the woman appears on the IMDB listing for next week's show as well, hence the inference that some portion of the plot line would continue. It might be an incredibly minor portion of the plot line, of course; I don't know what the rules are for requiring SAG names to go in the IMDB.

ladyx Newbie
OMG I used to have those weird bruises all over my body too and my Dr.s office even threatened to call the police on my husband! I assured them he never ever laid a hand on me, they backed off but I don't think they ever believed me. I also had nosebleeds on a daily basis, THAT was annoying. And did I mention the seizures? Yeah, those were my most insidious symptom and the first symptom to return when I'm accidentally glutened.

I think it's excellent that House did a show on this and it was in typical House fashion...

Yeah, my husband made me go in for tests about my brusing. He said I should go find out what was wrong before people started accusing him of hitting me. My doctor ran a bunch of tests and then said I just had thin blood...he said just be happy when you get old you won't ever have to take blood thinners. I never associated my celiac with all my bruises but I guess I really haven't had many since I went gluten free. Wow, its great to know where all your problems are coming from.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I am absolutely amazed at the negative response over at delphi on the celiac episode! They are downright outraged and angry! I believe our thoughts on the show are much more appreciative and tolerant to the "liberties taken" in writing the celiac story......

Karen

Guest Viola
I am absolutely amazed at the negative response over at delphi on the celiac episode! They are downright outraged and angry! I believe our thoughts on the show are much more appreciative and tolerant to the "liberties taken" in writing the celiac story......

Karen

Someone should explain to the people on Delphi that House is a TV fiction show and NOT a documentary :o I think we are really fortunate that 1. they did the show and 2. they had some of their facts straight even if it was very dramatic. I think they did a very good job considering . :D

floridanative Community Regular

I missed the show as I was out of the country but I'd like to add that my Mother's only sister is a dx'd paranoid schrizophrenic and now I believe that she too has Celiac like Mother and I do. Just in her case, the gluten is attacking her brain, not her intestines (or both). She is on disability and we don't have contact with her so she'll never be tested. She 'acts' normal on Lithium, which she's been on for over 30 years now. She was *crazy* from early childhood and used to threaten my Mother's life regularly, hence their lack of a relationship now. I've seen her three times in my life and it's a really sad thing. She can talk, take care of herself but it's like you look through her due to the drugs. Without them she tried committing suicide all the time.

jknnej Collaborator

I haven't been on that Delphi board and it's a darn good thing because I'd probably just get myself kicked off.

Those people have very, very serious issues and clearly too much time on their hands to complain about that episode.

I just can't believe anyone would get that upset over an episode of television fiction. I am a person that gets angry really, really easily and I can honestly say I've never been ticked off from a TV show (unless it was a cliffhanger! LOL).

People on Delphi that are complaining about House; get a life. Fast.

Instead of griping, try that little button on your remote called "off."

And please, oh please STOP trying to get a fiction television show to conform to unrealistic expectations.

Perhaps I don't like how Will & Grace portrays homosexuality or maybe I think Grey's Anatomy doctors are ridiculous. (that's just an example I really don't have any issue with Will & Grace I love the show). But my point is, it's tv. That's all. Don't try to turn it into your own personal Celiac awareness show. Get your booty off the couch and turn the tv off if you don't like what you see. My God, Fox did us a huge favor by even mentioning the disease and here people are "Oh it's not accurate how dare they." Hmmmm when television becomes accurate give me a call, will you?

Mango04 Enthusiast

I just don't think we should complain too much about the complainers, because than we become complainers ourselves. lol. But I agree, people should get over it. I think they are, because I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so we can all move on now lol. :P

Guest Viola
I haven't been on that Delphi board and it's a darn good thing because I'd probably just get myself kicked off.

Those people have very, very serious issues and clearly too much time on their hands to complain about that episode.

I just can't believe anyone would get that upset over an episode of television fiction. I am a person that gets angry really, really easily and I can honestly say I've never been ticked off from a TV show (unless it was a cliffhanger! LOL).

People on Delphi that are complaining about House; get a life. Fast.

Instead of griping, try that little button on your remote called "off."

And please, oh please STOP trying to get a fiction television show to conform to unrealistic expectations.

Perhaps I don't like how Will & Grace portrays homosexuality or maybe I think Grey's Anatomy doctors are ridiculous. (that's just an example I really don't have any issue with Will & Grace I love the show). But my point is, it's tv. That's all. Don't try to turn it into your own personal Celiac awareness show. Get your booty off the couch and turn the tv off if you don't like what you see. My God, Fox did us a huge favor by even mentioning the disease and here people are "Oh it's not accurate how dare they." Hmmmm when television becomes accurate give me a call, will you?

Well said :D

jknnej Collaborator

You're right; I should know better than to complain about the complainers. I think it's the end of the year and as a teacher of high school and finals next week all I hear every day is kids complaining about too much work, too many rules, etc. My patience is worn thin with complainers right now so when I see it I freak out. I just wish people could learn other ways to cope than to blame others for their own faults.

LKelly8 Rookie
She 'acts' normal on Lithium, which she's been on for over 30 years now. She was *crazy* from early childhood and used to threaten my Mother's life regularly, hence their lack of a relationship now. I've seen her three times in my life and it's a really sad thing. She can talk, take care of herself but it's like you look through her due to the drugs. Without them she tried committing suicide all the time.

Is lithium all she's taking?? Lithium is for bipolar disorder, not PS.

Mango04 Enthusiast
You're right; I should know better than to complain about the complainers. I think it's the end of the year and as a teacher of high school and finals next week all I hear every day is kids complaining about too much work, too many rules, etc. My patience is worn thin with complainers right now so when I see it I freak out. I just wish people could learn other ways to cope than to blame others for their own faults.

I don't know how you do it. My brother is in high school and some of those kids walk around with insane entitlement complexes. Good luck with the end of the year.

Katie O'Rourke Rookie

Hi, I'm in the UK, so obviously, thats not when it will be on over here. Can I just ask is that season 3 that the coeliac episode is in? Thanks, I love watchign House too :)

Archived