Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

irish

House Tv Show Will Feature Celiac Disease

I betcha Cuddy has it!!!! I bet it has nothing to do with the mother, it's Cuddy who thinks she has cancer but it turns out to be celiac!!!! (Guessing here........)

Karen

Just watching it, it has to do with a mom and baby that have celiac and the complications that can occur. It was actually quite sad, but it's on tonight.

It was on tonight, and I am so glad that I recorded it!!!! It was so good.

I am expecting about 40 phone calls tomorrow about "isn't that what your girls have?" LOL oh, well, can't ask for better awareness than to be on a show that a lot of people watch.

Yeah, but what most of us have wouldn't make an exciting show though......

I personally am quite happy that they featured it, even though it made it out to be a really obscure complication of celiac....... They did a good explanation of not absorbing, etc. etc.......

Karen

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?!?!

The baby was on meds for what, a week, max? With a *little* wheat starch as a binder and he has flat villi?

How did they know the celiac came from her? Why didn't they do a blood test?

What were they doing giving a baby that small oral potassium anyway?

She has the rare intestinal lymphoma with no other classic symptoms?

And what was the psychosis all about?!?!

That was one of the hardest things to watch. How heartbreaking. My husband said ,"thank God we didn't have to go through anything like that to get diagnosed.

As for those complications... I have brain calcifications, and have bled excessively after surgery (vitamin K defiency) my breast fed infant had symptoms, but wasn't diagnosed until she was 17 months.

L.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?!?!

The baby was on meds for what, a week, max? With a *little* wheat starch as a binder and he has flat villi?

How did they know the celiac came from her? Why didn't they do a blood test?

What were they doing giving a baby that small oral potassium anyway?

She has the rare intestinal lymphoma with no other classic symptoms?

And what was the psychosis all about?!?!

No. Chase came in saying the baby had "slight villous atrophy". So celiac was in it's early stages for the baby, but full blown for the mom. The mom could have been an asymptomatic celiac, there are many out there......

Karen

I thought it was going to really be about Celiacs and not a bunch of stuff happening to someone who also finds out she and her baby have it. I think the show will confuse people about what are symptoms are.

first time i watched the show...it sucked..sorry for the blunt responce..but can't believe GIG helped with this.

Good Grief...I just think it was a shame when we finally get celiac out there well still look like weird-o nutcases...but hey, I not a loyal fan...so just put my opinion in the 'circular file'

judy in philly

Guest nini

how many of us have had those complications? well not to that extreme, but YES, resounding yes... I had those symptoms... I would say that they took it to the extreme on the show and very very sad indeed, but OMG, I certainly could relate... I got very sick during my pregnancy, then after sunk into PPD and anxiety and was having seizures... my hubby said that he could see similarities in what I went through and her story, BUT her story is much more extreme. I think the show HOUSE always pushes it to the extreme anyway, it wouldn't be interesting if it was run of the mill Celiac, now would it!

They did do a decent but very brief job of explaining the malabsorption. I'm disappointed. I really wish Celiac had not been portrayed as causing baby-killing psychosis. How often do you hear of that. And yet, what does it make the unelightened think? Celiacs are nutcases.

I'm not.

stress causes celiac? what the hell was that?

I'm disappointed...it made it seem more like alcoholics get celiac disease or crazy ppl!

I am not talking about those symptoms, Nini. Lots of people get the anxiety and seizures but how many of us hear voices and harm other people? They shouldn't have mixed it in with her other problems.

stress causes celiac? what the hell was that?

I'm disappointed...it made it seem more like alcoholics get celiac disease or crazy ppl!

I think he said that stress "triggers" celiac (I could be mistaken, but that's what I thought I heard), and that statement is absolutely 100% true.

Karen