This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

House Tv Show Will Feature Celiac Disease

irish

mommida Enthusiast
I thought the episode was great, but I was confused on a few things....when the doc said that the babies potas. levels kept spiking cause medicine was not being absorbed....i thought when they gave meds (with gluten) through IV into the blood it wouldnt bother a person with celiac...(llike i said this is just what i read before, so it may not be true) THats why people with vitamins defc. dont take them orally cause it will not be absorbed, rather they get shots. :blink: Can anyone clarify?

I'm quite rushed today, but I remember that too. If I remember right House said the drug was administered to the baby (showed scenes of Chase injecting baby) and wheat gluten was a binder in the drug. We had better double check where we stand on i.v.'s and injected medications.

L.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
penguin Community Regular
I'm quite rushed today, but I remember that too. If I remember right House said the drug was administered to the baby (showed scenes of Chase injecting baby) and wheat gluten was a binder in the drug. We had better double check where we stand on i.v.'s and injected medications.

L.

There's no gluten in injections, and even if there was, it has to be ingested and in the intestine.

I didn't get that part either. Did they have a feeding tube in him? And why was wheat starch a binder in something injected or given through feeding tube? Why were they giving drugs like that orally anyway in a baby that little?

mommida Enthusiast
There's no gluten in injections, and even if there was, it has to be ingested and in the intestine.

I didn't get that part either. Did they have a feeding tube in him? And why was wheat starch a binder in something injected or given through feeding tube? Why were they giving drugs like that orally anyway in a baby that little?

It's probably just a plotline inconsistency, but we are probably going to have to answer some questions about it on here soon. As I do not have enough information to give a 100% '"Your perfectly safe" answer for people, I will have to consider researching this further.

L.

Guest nini
It's probably just a plotline inconsistency, but we are probably going to have to answer some questions about it on here soon. As I do not have enough information to give a 100% '"Your perfectly safe" answer for people, I will have to consider researching this further.

L.

I'm sure that part had to be a plotline inconsistency, they had to find a way to justify biopsying the baby... they could've just have easily said that there was gluten in the breastmilk, which of course hasn't been proven either, but a lot of us believe that there is gluten in breastmilk... It's a TV show! but we are going to have to answer a lot of questions, but this is a good thing because people are talking about this!

tarnalberry Community Regular
I'm sure that part had to be a plotline inconsistency, they had to find a way to justify biopsying the baby... they could've just have easily said that there was gluten in the breastmilk, which of course hasn't been proven either, but a lot of us believe that there is gluten in breastmilk... It's a TV show! but we are going to have to answer a lot of questions, but this is a good thing because people are talking about this!

Actually, gluten in breastmilk has been proven. We had a long thread on it... I put up references to at least six studies that showed just that - gluten passes through breastmilk.

Chaz Newbie

This has got to be a fairly major blast of publicity for our malady,but as my wife noted the references to celiac disease slipped by fairly quickly so one wonders what the retention of the general public will be.The case was fairly extreme but not totally implausible.I call House a diagnostic melodrama,and in speculating about their story line it came to mind that gluten sensitivity in rare cases can cause a type of epilepsy with brain calcifications(not necessarily in conjunction with villous atrophy)and thought that maybe that put them on this story track,but would have been too obvious if they ran a brain scan,so they went with a more hidden case of stomach lymphoma.The episode may have stretched the bounds of reality with respect to the disease but it did underline some serious complications esp GI lymphoma.I find my own family doesn't take celiac seriously,and my own sisters declined to get tested even though the GI doc said all my siblings and their children should be tested.The episode also had a pretty cool CSI type medical graphic of villous atrophy in progress.That supports the fundamentals of the disease.My GI doc had related that (hypothetically) if he had a device on the endoscope to squirt a small amount of gluten juice into the small intestine,and it had returned to normal after a long time on the gluten free diet,the biopsy results would revert to abnormal from normal in a matter of minutes.

Guhlia Rising Star

Hey guys, not to cause a stir-up, but the people over on the House message board are saying that the psychosis was just PPP, post partum psychosis... I think they're beginning to forget that Celiac was even mentioned.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Well I am happy to report that one of my co-workers just started talking about that Celiac was on House last night, and she was definately one of those people that totally didn't understand the disease and kinda thought I was making it up a little I think. But she was all excited just now talking about what she learned about Celiac and how it affects the body. I think this is great for raising awareness. Even if it only sinks in for a quarter of the people who watched.

loraleena Contributor

Actually I have read a lot about the connection of schizophrenia and celiacs. While these symptoms were rather obscure all of them could be caused by celiac. I have mixed feelings. Yes some may think celiac makes us crazy, but what was really said is that celiac causes nutrional deficiencies that effect the brain. I think it is important for people to know that this disease causes a heck of a lot more than stomach problems. Some have no stomach problems at all but a host of other strange symptoms.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
Yes, I understand the shock value. Yes, I understand going to extremes. Yes, I understand the need for good television.

I *do not* like how Celiac was made akin to schitzophrenia and other psychological diseases. Yes, there is a link, a big link, but now we all look nuts.

Imagine that you or nobody you know knew anything about Celiac. What would you think?

ChelsE, I understand what your are saying, but I think the bottom line is that the show ENCOURAGES dialogue and communication.

More mainstream people now have questions about the disorder. I, for one, look forward to talking about this and educating those people (its not House's job to educate).

Does anyone here really think they would do a show on TV about the average Celiac's symptoms? Noo ne would watch it besides Celiacs. Il ike the shock value and I like the popularity this show is getting. The iron is hot, we all need take the opportunity to strike and educate more people when the opportunity arises.

JMO

lorka150 Collaborator

elowny, I'm with you. I looked at mom and smiled and said, 'take THAT b%$@#es!' (excuse the language) when they mentioned what it was.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I'm sure if we knew more about the other diseases House features, we could nitpick those episodes as well. This episode conveyed the seriousness of Celiac, which is great. We're always complaining that people don't take us seriously....

The little details they didn't get perfectly right don't matter all that much. Most people won't remember them anyway. I'm sure 99% of people who watched forgot the term "celiac" about five minutes after the show ended. I know I don't really remember the names of most of the diseases featured in past episodes.

Anyway, I love the way House mentioned "a splash of soysauce." That was great! They did little bit of research and then over dramtized the situation, which is what television is supposed to do. Yay for House.

jknnej Collaborator

Judy in Philly,

I wrote my post because I get increasingly annoyed when people believe that television producers owe viewers anything, because they don't. A LOT of television is based on fiction! I'm not sure why anyone would try to pick apart a medical diagnosis shown on a television drama; it's a huge waste of time.

I didn't appreciate the suicide comment; (and I don't remember who wrote it..not saying it was you but it might have been); I don't believe the show was glamorizing or martyrizing suicide in any way, shape, or form. In fact, House tried to talk the mother OUT of it. But it's a television show and it's about drama. How many other shows have been considered offensive to people in some way, shape, or form? That's the beauty of television; you can shut it off.

The comment pissed me off because I watch House regularly, I'm a huge fan, (in fact I didn't even know this ep would be about celiac disease)and I believe that some people watched this particular episode ONLY because of Celiac Disease, then had the nerve to criticize the show. They've never seen House before and decided to get all upset over something that, if they watched the show on a regular basis, they would know to be a normal part of the show. It is a politically INCORRECT television show, just like hundreds of other shows, and if you don't want to watch it, don't. But don't criticize it just because you didn't like it, either.

Also, the whole medical thing...and how it's not accurate....Geez, people, I watch American Idol and as a music teacher I can tell you the entire show is a joke. I still love it for drama's sake, but I don't take anything seriously because most of the people on the show are NOT real musicians. No one should take a show about doctors seriously in terms of their diagnosis. Anyone who does that shouldn't be watching TV at all.

Perhaps my tone of getting panties in a wad was politically incorrect, but that's just my personality. People are taking a little television WAY too seriously in my opinion, and I have the right to say it. You don't have to agree; that's the beauty of opinions.

Don't forget: House doesn't owe Celiac Disease anything. I'm pretty sure they just did it because they ALWAYS find rare diseases for the show to make it interesting. In fact, the entire premise of the show is about diagnosing diseases that no other dr. could find; that's what makes House so brilliant. No one on the show ever really has anything common, otherwise the show wouldn't exist. They did NOT, I repeat NOT do this show to raise awareness about the disease. Perhaps that is where people are getting confused. They did it for a good storyline, period. Let's look at it positively and take it for what it is: FREE publicity.

lorka150 Collaborator

jknnej - i hear every word you said, and couldn't agree more. i felt like a minority because everyone is now so gung-ho anti- house.

ps. i'm a musician / teacher, too... that comment made me smile. B)

susan in colorado Newbie

OMG!! I was having a huge setback because of eating something non-glutten-free. I was in bed about to go to sleep when I became enthralled with the House episode. When he said Celiac I jumped out of bed and ran into the other room where DH and son were watching and screamed CELIAC!!!

I few months ago before I was diagnosed and I had no quality of life whatsoever, I told my husband that I needed to go see House, since no one else could figure out what was wrong with me.

I will also be the first to admit that when I am feeling like I do right now, depression is the first thing to set in. I get so tired of looking at the bathroom walls. I also just can't think clearly.

Do any of you know what can be done when you have a relapse like I am currently experiencing?

francelajoie Explorer

I really enjoyed the show and I think my husband understands the whole thing a little better. I think it was just a bit over the top I guess because I've never had really severe symptoms but I'm happy it was on a show that is so popular.

Mahee34 Enthusiast

I think that although it was a small part of the show and the majority was based around the post partum issue that they did a very nice job letting people know that celiac is a serious issue and can affect the way you are treated for other diseases. my dad thought it did a good job in this way too because even the smallest bit of cheating can really cause damage.

i'm pretty excited that it was mentioned at all, it really didn't have to be!!

side note......did anyone notice that the dad was Sunshine from Remember the Titans. i loved it! :lol:

Chaz Newbie
OMG!! I was having a huge setback because of eating something non-glutten-free. I was in bed about to go to sleep when I became enthralled with the House episode. When he said Celiac I jumped out of bed and ran into the other room where DH and son were watching and screamed CELIAC!!!

I few months ago before I was diagnosed and I had no quality of life whatsoever, I told my husband that I needed to go see House, since no one else could figure out what was wrong with me.

I will also be the first to admit that when I am feeling like I do right now, depression is the first thing to set in. I get so tired of looking at the bathroom walls. I also just can't think clearly.

Do any of you know what can be done when you have a relapse like I am currently experiencing?

Be really careful about the gluten free diet and possibly other products as well.

Keep in mind it can take a long time for the intestine to fully(or almost fully recover)from the damage caused by celiac disease.Probably years,but nevertheless you will probably feel quite a bit better within a few months.After being on the gluten free diet for awhile I felt like I was 20 years younger relative to how I felt before.Depending on your sensitivity level you have to be really careful about even trace amounts that may be hidden in certain products.Don't rely on lists,if there's any doubt ie questionable ingredients or processed foods,call the manufacturer.And don't add too many new foods to your list at once.This way you have a better idea of what you might be reacting to.

My Gi doctor related a story about one patient who continued to have symptoms despite an ultra-strict diet.They eventually figured out that the problem was with her lipstick.

Don't worry,it gets better and better the longer you stick with the diet.

elonwy Enthusiast

I had severe personality changes due to celiac that caused massive depression and I made some decisions during my sick time that I would never had made in a sane frame of mind because I couldn't think clearly. I really liked that they touched on those issues. I thought I was crazy for a long time, and its a great relief to me that I don't have to live the rest of my life in that frame of mind. My physical symptoms weren't as bad as hers, but the farther I get from when I was sick the more I realize how much it affected me. If one person watched the show and thought "hey maybe I should get checked for that crazy disease" it was a success.

On its own, it was a brilliantly dramatic episode, and I hung on every word.

Elonwy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

jknnej --would have been nice if you would have read both of my posts--

The 1st- said if you didn't like my opinion to 'put in the circular file'

The 2nd- I said I said I was sorry for first opinion...as good articulate information was shared from the show.

and alot of people could relate to parts of it.

The 3rd-I did not make the suicide comment--It is a very sad and devastating event that I wouldn't bring it up here.

The 4th- I worked as a medical librarian in a hospital for 15 years and know alittle about the medical community...

It was only an opinon on a TV show..nothing more.. Who cares about my opinion...never watched the show before as I said in the first post....., you need to take a "chill"

Judy

lorka150 Collaborator

everyone, please please relax. we're all buds here to help each other. B)

evie Rookie
...ok, when is the repeat? Missed it - forgot it was Tuesday.

D.

Ordinarily I watch House but did not get to last night, so glad so many of you did. house is a very caustic person but am glad the show brought out some of the important issues of Celiac disease. they seem to becoming more prevalent or Drs are able to diagnose more. We need to have much more public understanding of the BIG problem. evie

francelajoie Explorer
jknnej --would have been nice if you would have read both of my posts--

The 1st- said if you didn't like my opinion to 'put in the circular file'

The 2nd- I said I said I was sorry for first opinion...as good articulate information was shared from the show.

and alot of people could relate to parts of it.

The 3rd-I did not make the suicide comment--It is a very sad and devastating event that I wouldn't bring it up here.

The 4th- I worked as a medical librarian in a hospital for 15 years and know alittle about the medical community...

It was only an opinon on a TV show..nothing more.. Who cares about my opinion...never watched the show before as I said in the first post....., you need to take a "chill"

Judy

I agree with you Judy. No offense to anybody here but I also think that if you say something that people don't agree with, you have hide behind a brick wall or they'll shoot you!!! :huh:

jerseyangel Proficient

PLEASE EVERYONE--Before this goes any further, let's just take a deep breath! This has been a great discussion so far--we need to stick to the subject of the thread. Thanks! :)

watkinson Apprentice

Hi guys,

I'm the one that started the thread back in September about the House show doing an episode on Celiacs. I saw a piece on our local Fox news talking about Celiac disease...what it was... and that 'House" woud have an upcoming show spotlighting the disease. They never said when it would be on so I just religiously watched the show week after week. Although the character House is way too contrived and extremely caustic to the point of being unbelievable, I still became a huge fan of the show. It's soooo cool the way they go through so much to figure out a diagnosis. Maybe that's why I love the show. I have heard so many on this thread today sying that they wish they had a doctor that had spent some time with them and figured out all of their maladies. It's the same for me. The fantasy that I would not have had to have spent 25 years getting more and more ill until I was to the point of knowing that I would not live much longer. That if just one of the many doctors I saw could have figured out something. I guess the pull of the show for me is the fantasy that I could be the paitient. Maybe that's why so many people are upset. WE ARE THE CELIACS, We are the ones that suffer from this disease, we see ourselves in the role of the patient, and to see yeat another wrong diagnosis or wrong informatin just kills us.

I was dissapointed at first that they didn't say more about the disease. I told my husband that if I had watched this show 3 years ago before I was diagnosed as a celiac, that I would have never have connected it to myself. I would never have said "hey, I wonder if this is what I have" Nothing in the show reminded me of myself and my own symptoms. After going gluten free, I now realize that I did have depression and was also able to then explain my daughters panic attacks. But before I was diagnosed, I didn't know the brain problems were connected to my stomach problems.

Anyway....I realize the show is not there to educate, it's just supposed to be a fun drama. I'm really happy that it got out at all, and maybe the public education comes from people talking about the show around the water cooler. I have had so many people today ask me about it, it's crazy! Anything to put out the word for awarenes!! :)

Archived