This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Subway

Wrightk

Wrightk Newbie

is subway glutean free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

No, Subway is tons of gluten their breads are not gluten-free. Anything else in there I would be leary of because of all the bread crumbs flying around. I stay far away from there.

schuyler Apprentice

Too much bread in that place, so I wouldn't chance it.

Guest nini

yep, way too many bread crumbs flying around that place for my comfort... they cut the bread RIGHT OVER the fixins and there are always crumbs everywhere. The only thing that you could eat would be some of the Lays chips (if they are on the gluten-free safe list on Frito Lay's website)

I wouldn't chance it at all...

but if you are wanting a sandwich that tastes like a subway sandwich, I have found that Kinnikinicks pizza crust makes an awesome bread for a sandwich. I take the pizza crust out of the freezer and toast it in the oven on a pan for about 10 minutes at 350, then cut it in half and load it up with whatever safe sandwich toppings I'm in the mood for, like ham and cheese and mustard with lettuce, or tuna salad, or leftover bbq chicken... there is so much you can do with those crusts and it really does (to me anyway) taste like a Subway sandwich!

VydorScope Proficient

I wonder if calling it "gluten" is confusing ppl, prehaps it should be listed as

"Intolernace to Flour, wheat, Barely, Rye, Malt which includes most breads, and baked goods"

debmidge Rising Star

As a not celiac I have eaten in Subway and I can't imagine how they could handle gluten-free -- they bake their own breads there, but even if you brought your own gluten-free bread there these obstacles would have to be mounted:

1) They work "assembly" line method, there's constant bread crumbs on their counters as the bread gets passed to next person for toppings, etc.

2) they wear plastic gloves, so they'd have to change gloves to handle gluten-free order.

3) they probably would not be able to know if their luncheon meats and tuna/shrimp salads are gluten-free

4) the above being said, what if meats are gluten-free but were sliced on slicing machine that had remants of gluten? there would be cross contamination issues.

5) due to #1 assembly line method, they are working so quickly that it would be questionable if they could do a special gluten-free order at all. That would mean that all surfaces would have to be wiped and all sandwich makers would have to change gloves at same time.

Best thought is to talk to that particular store owner before lunch/dinner hour crowd comes in to see what he/she can do or can't do for you.

• 3 years later...
Starlit-Lotus Newbie

Uh... Subway is in NO WAY glutenfree. Not even their salads are gluten free, and there isn't a way to make them that way. I had read a post that said that any of the sandwiches can be made into salads and were gluten free. The workers didn't change their gloves ONCE when I was there waiting for my salad, so the veggies were covered in gluten. And boy am I paying for it today. I should have just eaten the real sandwich.

I know better than to think I can get gluten free meals in restaurants, but I just so badly want to believe that I can be normal, without attracting a lot of attention. *Sigh*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaylee's Mom Newbie

Kaylee eats subway all the time. She loves it. We typically go to the same one, they know Kaylee and why she can't have the bread. But everyone we've ran into has been super nice. They change their gloves, even if they've JUST changed them, they do it again, they get either new veggies out of the fridge or they get the veggies on the bottom. :)

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Are you sure that is safe? They are constantly grabbing at the veggies with gluten hands. I wouldn't consider the bottom ones safe.

Kaylee's Mom Newbie
Are you sure that is safe? They are constantly grabbing at the veggies with gluten hands. I wouldn't consider the bottom ones safe.

She hasn't had any problems and last blood work shows no antibodies. So I'm assuming they are doing a good job. I HAVE walked out of a subway that had just flipped their bread all over everything.. I also look over everything, if I see crumbs IN the bins, we leave.. the place I typically go leaves all their veggies covered.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I normally get the oven roasted chicken breast salad. Just the chicken, lettuce and shredded cheese. I carry gluten free dressing in the truck. I keep careful watch and speak up if I see any issues. So far 4 months in and haven't been glutened yet. Thank goodness and keeping my fingers crossed.

Archived