• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

JenM

Test For Gluten Intolerance

Rate this topic

I was tested negative for celiac disease by Prometheus, but I wonder if I might have gluten intolerance. What is the best way to find out? Thanks. My only symptom is neurological.

I was tested negative for celiac disease by Prometheus, but I wonder if I might have gluten intolerance. What is the best way to find out? Thanks. My only symptom is neurological.

Hey Jen M. !

I'm being followed by a doctor, my blood tests are negative, and I have the neurological issues too. I get a reversal of peripheral neuropathy after a couple of gluten free days.

According to

Celiac Disease and Neurological Disorders

this abstract on Pub Med, it has been suggested that neurological symptoms can be present from gluten sensitivity WITH or WITHOUT verifiable intestinal damage.

This would be interesting, as the small bowel biopsy has long been the gold standard of diagnosis.

It is good to work with a doctor if you can find someone sympathetic and reasonable. But if eating the right way makes you better, you know what to do.

[quote name='Matilda' date='Apr 30 2006, 07:

Thanks for the reply and links, Matilda. The print-outs will be very helpful to take to my neurologist at UCLA. I have no history of celiac disease, or any kind of allergy or intolerance in my family, and I have been tall and skinny all my life, so my doctor might see any further gluten testing pointless. She organized the Celiac panel with Prometheus, and all the results were negative. I did stay on a gluten-free diet for a while anyway, but nothing changed. Thanks again for all the great info and good wishes.

Thanks to Mme, too.