• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

angbanjo

Gluten Free In The Kitchen

Rate this topic

I'm in charge of a commercial kitchen. I'm wondering if you all have tips besides the ones I've seen (separate knives, cutting boards, etc) for keeping your kitchen gluten free, or keeping your meals gluten free when you're preparing meals for others who do consume gluten. Thanks so much!

I'm in charge of a commercial kitchen. I'm wondering if you all have tips besides the ones I've seen (separate knives, cutting boards, etc) for keeping your kitchen gluten free, or keeping your meals gluten free when you're preparing meals for others who do consume gluten. Thanks so much!

Bless you, bless you, bless you! As a former pro chef I know it is not an easy task and requires educating your staff to the highest degree and bless you for doing this. First always use a seperate freshly cleaned and rinsed saute pan for any celiacs food. Do not use the salamander or the same grill even if it is well scraped between orders. If possible have an area preferablly a stainless steel cart or counter that can be wiped with a paper towel before putting food onto it. A small cart with a few drawers for gluten-free breads and pastas would help most have wheels and could be moved out of the way when not needed. Make sure you use confirmed gluten-free spices, most Mccormick are okay. Make sure your employees are taught not to use one tong or utensil for all foods. It is a fraction slower on the line but well worth if folks can eat fear free. Also be sure to check you food handling gloves most are powder free now but some are not and that can be a source of contamination. And reveiw your food storage looking for possible contamination issues just as you would watch for folks putting raw meat on a shelp over the lettuce. It would also help if you can have a verified gluten free salad dressing or two on hand. Either Annies or Amy's (I use wegmans which are marked so I'm not sure) foods makes individual packets that you could offer. And be sure to advertise you are doing this many celiacs are afraid to eat out, I have been poisoned by some of the best restaurants. Good luck and I am sure others will be on with more suggestions.