• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

hlm34

Great Experience At New Chicago Restaurant!

Rate this topic

For any of you Chicagoans out there - I went to Carnivale a few weeks ago and love, love, loved it. Its on Fulton near Fulton Market. You can see it from 90/94 west. Its the same building as the old club The Drink. Really big, really cool, hip atomosphere. A very nice, fun place to have dinner. a little on the expensive side - but really nice for a special occassion.

We went for a work function - and i had pretty much counted on not eating anything. My boss has celiac as well (how strange is that?!) so we sat next to each other and she gave our waiter her little dining card that explained what we could and could not have. He took it to the chef and explained that only 2 or 3 entrees on the entire menu had gluten in them. he pointed out which ones they were. We ordered the chips and guacamole. The chips were homeade but fried in their own fryer. And I swear, the guac was the best i have ever eaten. SOOOOOO good. I seriously could have just had a bowl of that guac for my meal and eaten it with a spoon.

I ordered a mixed green salad - and asked if they had balsamic for the dressing - he told me they didnt have that. But he brought me the salad anyway and said that the dressing was fresh squeezed oranges, tomatoes and some oil. it was sooooo good. Then i had the strip steak with rice and beans. awesome. My boss had the grouper with rice. Oh wow, we were in heaven.

She even more sensitive with gluten than i am - so as soon as i got to work the next day i asked how she was feeling and she was fine, and feeling great! It was so nice to actually enjoy a client dinner again and be able to participate and talk about how good the food was.

I highly recommend it!