This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sick When Eating Anything...!

Elizabeth-Elindel

Elizabeth-Elindel Rookie

Hey all!

I was dignoiced Decemeber '05 and have just these past two weeks been sick all the time. If I don't eat, I'm hungry, and if I eat, I feel like I could throw up.

I also feel dizzy and tired....

As far as I know, I have not had any gluten for some time. Anyone else have this problem?

Could it be that I'm allergic to something?

Elizabeth

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mandy F. Apprentice

I had that problem a lot throughout high school but I was just recently diagnosed with Celiac. Since my diagnosis I've been thinking that's what caused it. I never did figure out what was wrong. I was told that it was all in my head or that I was anorexic. I especially had problems with dairy. Usually, it would last for a couple of months especially when it got hot out and then would go away on its own... The only other thing I think I could attribute it to is stress... I was under tremendous amounts of stress back then. I'm sorry I can't be much actual help on the subject. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Mandy

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Think basic. Simple Meals... until you settle things down inside. Have you read the Paleo Diet? It's like a caveman/cavewoman diet. Simple stuff really works for celiac disease. Get the book it will help.

Chicken baked plain.

Carrots no butter use olive oil.

Something else Veggie plain steamed.

Make plain chicken soup from scratch use carrots, celery, (no onions yet) fresh parsley is good for you.

Melons, berries, grapes, [bananas are really good]. Too much cirtus might be too much, think plain.

NO DAIRY! Stay away from rice, corn, potatoes for a few days and see if you can tolerate other things first.

And when I feel real bad -- like I feel like I'm gonna passout I drink a bottle of baby PEDILYTE it replenished the lost electrolites the body loses. I helps a lot! Try it it works.

tavalon Newbie
Think basic. Simple Meals... until you settle things down inside. Have you read the Paleo Diet? It's like a caveman/cavewoman diet. Simple stuff really works for celiac disease. Get the book it will help.

Chicken baked plain.

Carrots no butter use olive oil.

Something else Veggie plain steamed.

Make plain chicken soup from scratch use carrots, celery, (no onions yet) fresh parsley is good for you.

Melons, berries, grapes, [bananas are really good]. Too much cirtus might be too much, think plain.

NO DAIRY! Stay away from rice, corn, potatoes for a few days and see if you can tolerate other things first.

And when I feel real bad -- like I feel like I'm gonna passout I drink a bottle of baby PEDILYTE it replenished the lost electrolites the body loses. I helps a lot! Try it it works.

I eat huge amounts of soy, not so much by choice but because two other family members can't have milk, one being lactose intolerant, the other requiring a gluten fee/casein free diet. I recently heard that eating too much soy can be a problem but not what the threshold is. I tend to rely on Amy's when I'm working 12 hour shifts and that's all soy and we go through about 3 gallons of sugar free soy milk a week and I tend to pick tofu as my main source of "meat" protein.

But, I have hypothyroid (my guess - Hashimoto's but who knows) so I wonder if my soy intake really matters with regards to my thyroid.

amethystium-sky Rookie
Hey all!

I was dignoiced Decemeber '05 and have just these past two weeks been sick all the time. If I don't eat, I'm hungry, and if I eat, I feel like I could throw up.

I also feel dizzy and tired....

As far as I know, I have not had any gluten for some time. Anyone else have this problem?

Could it be that I'm allergic to something?

Elizabeth

I know exactly how you feel Elizabeth, I have felt that way every day for 3 years. I was diagnosed about a month and a half ago and am still not feeling any better. I know its awful and I know its not much help but I can really understand what your going though!! ..its hard but it takes time.. unfortunately most of it is spent feeling really crappy..

sillyak you seem to know about different diets and such. I was wondering do you know if the paleo diet or the SC diets are affective for someone thats really underweight.. im 5'4 and only weigh 85 lbs..im desperately trying to find a way to get some fat on me.. lol... I dont eat meat, but could if it meant I would feel better and as far as I know I dont have any problems with any dairy I ahvent been tested for other allergies. I eat rice and rice based breads but I stopped eating potatoes last week so I will see if that would help. I will go days with out eating any and then have some and I dont feel sick.

any help would be great!!!

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast
I eat huge amounts of soy, not so much by choice but because two other family members can't have milk, one being lactose intolerant, the other requiring a gluten fee/casein free diet. I recently heard that eating too much soy can be a problem but not what the threshold is. I tend to rely on Amy's when I'm working 12 hour shifts and that's all soy and we go through about 3 gallons of sugar free soy milk a week and I tend to pick tofu as my main source of "meat" protein.

But, I have hypothyroid (my guess - Hashimoto's but who knows) so I wonder if my soy intake really matters with regards to my thyroid.

WoW that's a lot a Silk Milk!~ I was doing the same thing but soy was also in the foods I ate, tofo, brazil nuts (modified soy) its in my vitamins, in tuna, canned fish< hurricane food I was eating. Plus soy is also in the legume family of foods it all beans, peas, chickpeas, string beans, snowpeas, and the list goes on that I have developed a problem with.

Just a thought - I wouldn't want to stress my sick body part with the stuff that was making it sick to begin with. You want to eat the right foods for a healthy thyroid. Soy isn't it! It can be confusing because hyper (fast) or hypo (slow) thyroid function are very much different to treat and cope with the symptoms. So you must keep that in mind in your health care plan. There are a few good books out, not a lot, but a few with good up to date information. If you can't buy them your local library will lend them, and if they don't have a copy they will order you one.

I know exactly how you feel Elizabeth, I have felt that way every day for 3 years. I was diagnosed about a month and a half ago and am still not feeling any better. I know its awful and I know its not much help but I can really understand what your going though!! ..its hard but it takes time.. unfortunately most of it is spent feeling really crappy..

sillyak you seem to know about different diets and such. I was wondering do you know if the paleo diet or the SC diets are affective for someone thats really underweight.. im 5'4 and only weigh 85 lbs..im desperately trying to find a way to get some fat on me.. lol... I dont eat meat, but could if it meant I would feel better and as far as I know I dont have any problems with any dairy I ahvent been tested for other allergies. I eat rice and rice based breads but I stopped eating potatoes last week so I will see if that would help. I will go days with out eating any and then have some and I dont feel sick.

any help would be great!!!

The paleo diet book you must read it. It really will help.

I am your height. I have a shape now. My lowest was 98lbs I hate to say... I'm up to 109. It's work because I had to make a total shift in the eating patterns I had created and causing me not to maintain. I was suffering post tramatic stress and going through several week of being sleep deprived. My thyroid was in the hyper mode my blood levels showed I was about boarderline hyper and my endo doc said "Oh, that's okay. Do you know how many woman would love to look like you do, at your age?! Be happy your skinny." Anyway, I changed my thyroid medication getting a lower dose from another doctor. And I had it made by a compounding doc that makes RX's free of the dyes used in our medication that is cross contaminated with gluten. And for me its problematic because they all had corn and dairy in them as well which I'm unable to tolerate either.

I feel better on the compounding RX medication. Not like I want to crawl-out-of-my-skin!

I went to, of all types of doctors, to my Chiropractor, he has been working with me to re-set my digestive system. And he had changed my eating habits to a large meal for breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner another snack. For me I always skipped breakfast, ate a late lunch, never missed a big dinner. Now my big meal is (giggle) dinner for breakfast. When you get a copy of the paleo diet it has meal plans and easy things that are safe and taste good.

But remember it's basic.

Plain chicken, fish, seafood, meat - grilled, broiled, or baked.

Plain veggies - zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, broccoli or what ever you can tolerate - steamed, grilled, broiled or baked.

Plain fruit - raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, melons watermelons - fresh or frozen in smoothies. And BANANAS. LOTS and lots of bananas. bananas are my best friends. :P

I have been doing research for my blog about celiac disease in the historic newspapers in the early 1900's. They were feeding babies lots and lots of bananas. It was good for them they gained weight and thrived, the other didin't. And research would later show it helped them ward of celiac disease until later in life. I eat a 4 banana smooties with blackberries, raspberries everyday. So simple - I put the bananas in the fridge, and use the other as frozen fruit. I put it in a blender with the chilled bananas. Try it - it's yummy!

Oh, one last thing. Do you juice? Because if you get a juicer and juice, you can power pack vitamins in to a juice you can drink. I do it too. I put things like carrots, lots and lots fresh pasley, zucchni and more. I feel super after a couple days of these.

Guinevere Newbie

sounds like you may have other food intolerances. perhaps you need to do some further eliminating/reintroducing to see if certain things bother you.

and i always add that probiotics and enzymes will dramatically help digestive problems. i have been on them the past few weeks and they have made a drastic difference in the legume area.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

junie20002 Newbie

Godd morning to all!!!

I alsohave been feeling really sick lately, and I also feel like I have become allergic to all the foods even if I am Gluten free, I cannot even eat a salad.So I am going the same way as when you introduce a new baby with solids, nothing artificial, home made soups are ok as long as I do not add some of the vegetables that I cannot tolerate. when I have one meal per day I seems to do really good so I am sticking to that. <_<

Ronnie Apprentice

Hi i was just wondering if i could get some advice from some people who know

what it's like.

I've been diagnosed with celiac for about three months. I'm trying REALLY hard

to be gluten free. But i just don't have anyone to ask little questions on a daily

basis about what to eat or not eat.

I'm still sick and i just for the life of me can't figure out whats causing it. I'm starting to

get really discouraged and fed up.

I just don't know where to turn for help!

I thought maybe it was the dried parsley and other spices i use in my cooking that was

making me sick. Then i thought about all the products i use like air fresheners or perfumes, breath

mints etc... Things that i never considered before.

I also considered maybe the dristan i use for cold/allergies might be the culprit. But i don't

know what to do.

tarnalberry Community Regular

While I am not one to say "soy is bad", soy is *definitely* contraindicated with thyroid problems, particularly in quantity. You may want to either have your own, separate source of milk, or use almond or rice milk, or do without. You may also, as others on the board and myself have discovered, what to look into whether you are having reactive hypoglycemia issues (blood sugar swings - not caused by diabetes).

Lister Rising Star

even though i know doctors will tell u this all the time before celiac diagnoises, maybe you should look into IBS, it is fairly common among celiacs and would cause what you are talking about, if you ask a doctor about it they can give u some meds that help controle the spasms in your intestines that cause you to feel sick after eating. im not a doctor and i probably dont know what im talking about but i figured i would share that with you

amethystium-sky Rookie
WoW that's a lot a Silk Milk!~ I was doing the same thing but soy was also in the foods I ate, tofo, brazil nuts (modified soy) its in my vitamins, in tuna, canned fish< hurricane food I was eating. Plus soy is also in the legume family of foods it all beans, peas, chickpeas, string beans, snowpeas, and the list goes on that I have developed a problem with.

Just a thought - I wouldn't want to stress my sick body part with the stuff that was making it sick to begin with. You want to eat the right foods for a healthy thyroid. Soy isn't it! It can be confusing because hyper (fast) or hypo (slow) thyroid function are very much different to treat and cope with the symptoms. So you must keep that in mind in your health care plan. There are a few good books out, not a lot, but a few with good up to date information. If you can't buy them your local library will lend them, and if they don't have a copy they will order you one.

The paleo diet book you must read it. It really will help.

I am your height. I have a shape now. My lowest was 98lbs I hate to say... I'm up to 109. It's work because I had to make a total shift in the eating patterns I had created and causing me not to maintain. I was suffering post tramatic stress and going through several week of being sleep deprived. My thyroid was in the hyper mode my blood levels showed I was about boarderline hyper and my endo doc said "Oh, that's okay. Do you know how many woman would love to look like you do, at your age?! Be happy your skinny." Anyway, I changed my thyroid medication getting a lower dose from another doctor. And I had it made by a compounding doc that makes RX's free of the dyes used in our medication that is cross contaminated with gluten. And for me its problematic because they all had corn and dairy in them as well which I'm unable to tolerate either.

I feel better on the compounding RX medication. Not like I want to crawl-out-of-my-skin!

I went to, of all types of doctors, to my Chiropractor, he has been working with me to re-set my digestive system. And he had changed my eating habits to a large meal for breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner another snack. For me I always skipped breakfast, ate a late lunch, never missed a big dinner. Now my big meal is (giggle) dinner for breakfast. When you get a copy of the paleo diet it has meal plans and easy things that are safe and taste good.

But remember it's basic.

Plain chicken, fish, seafood, meat - grilled, broiled, or baked.

Plain veggies - zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, broccoli or what ever you can tolerate - steamed, grilled, broiled or baked.

Plain fruit - raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, melons watermelons - fresh or frozen in smoothies. And BANANAS. LOTS and lots of bananas. bananas are my best friends. :P

I have been doing research for my blog about celiac disease in the historic newspapers in the early 1900's. They were feeding babies lots and lots of bananas. It was good for them they gained weight and thrived, the other didin't. And research would later show it helped them ward of celiac disease until later in life. I eat a 4 banana smooties with blackberries, raspberries everyday. So simple - I put the bananas in the fridge, and use the other as frozen fruit. I put it in a blender with the chilled bananas. Try it - it's yummy!

Oh, one last thing. Do you juice? Because if you get a juicer and juice, you can power pack vitamins in to a juice you can drink. I do it too. I put things like carrots, lots and lots fresh pasley, zucchni and more. I feel super after a couple days of these.

Sillyak.. man do I know what you mean. I constantly have people say they wish they had my shape.. I however don’t like being this skinny. Before I started getting really sick I was 115 and I felt really comfortable. I actually looked like a girl and not a walking stick.. haha.. as far as i know my thyroids just fine. I just had some extensive blood work done and everythings just as it should be. Luckily I have a really nice doctor who’s very honest about things.

But yea im definitely going to get that book and do a whole lot more research on the diet. It sounds pretty promising for my situation.

I don’t juice.. I mean I haven’t yet, but it sounds like a really good idea. Smoothies are perfect for when im not feeling up to eating a lot of solid foods. I have a blender and im going to whip up one this morning for breakfast!!. Im not to good about taking a daily vitamin, mainly because they always upset my stomach, even the gluten-free ones. I have been eating a LOT! of fruit this last week and I am keeping my diet really simple. I try to stay away from all the starches. More protein, nuts, eggs an cheeses. The dizziness has subsided some. I was actually able to get out of the house for a few hours and get some things done on Wednesday and felt almost symptom free!!. Which we all know is an amazing feeling.. ; )

thanks again for all the info!!

-Kerissa

codetalker Contributor

I did the same thing in regard to soy and for the past couple of months I have started paying a high price. My thyroid is apparently aggravated by even the slightest amount of soy. It gets to the point where I can't completely swallow and my throat feels like it is going to cramp up. I get short of breath and have no energy. Needless to say, I've joined the anti-soy ranks that advise not consuming soy.

Guest cassidy

I went gluten-free in January and felt great for a month or so. Then I started having some of my old symptoms. I would get headaches, have D but not like when I eat gluten, and just feel crappy. I found a doctor who did a stool test. I found out that I had no good bacteria, a bad bacteria, an amoeba and candida overgrowth. I've been on two antibiotics to kill the stuff off and I'm just starting on the candida treatment.

I thought I felt good, but not great. I would get a stomach ache and feel queasy when I ate anything. I would try digestive enzymes and probiotics to help you digest your food. I really feel that stool test has changed my life. I had no idea all that was going on and I'm so glad that I found out. That may also be an option for you.

Guest Pixi

I have a book on hypothyroidism and the author says soy is a big culprit and to stay away from it at all costs. I'm sure you have books on this issue.. but if you want the title and author, I can send it over :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I am sorry you are feeling bad. Are all of your products gluten free as well? Make sure you are 100% gluten free and do not have anything slipping in. Also, it took me like 8 months to really get better. I mean I felt better before then but it took me a while. Some people see improvement fast while for others it takes alot longer. You may want to look into other food intolerances or allergies as well because that would not hurt. If you need anyone to talk to you are welcome to email me:)

Archived