• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Cheri A

Spaghetti Squash Anyone?

Rate this topic

I made spaghetti squash tonight and served it w/spaghetti sauce.

My dd and I loved it! It came out like angel hair pasta & was delicious.

Has anyone else discovered this??

Yes! I love it even with just a little butter on it! I've eaten it since way before I even heard of celiac ... it was just one of those strange foods my mom made when I was a kid, and I continue to make today.

I like it too! My dh likes it better than pasta. I also like to use the leftover squash by sauteeing it in olive oil with some garlic powder and then adding a bit of romano (sheep milk) cheese right before serving.

Ah!!!! The spaghetti squash!!!!! It is truly a wonderful vegitable! I just poke holes in it, stick it in the microwave for 10-20 minutes, and done!!!!!! I love it!

Lollie

I eat a lot of spagetti squash too. I make an Italian marinara meat sauce to top it with or sometimes I just toss it with a little olive oil, sea salt, and other seasonings/herbs.

I'm not sure where I've been, then, cuz I just heard of it last week. She took it for lunch today :D I hope it survives in the thermos!

She was so excited to have a "pasta".. can't have the wonderful Tinkyada pasta and doesn't like the quinoa-corn pasta.

Next time I make it, I may just make a few of them and ditch the wheat pasta that the rest of us have been eating. I'm finding that we are more and more becoming entirely gluten-free.

Have been eating it for years....long before I'd even heard of Celiac. Yummmy! Anything I'd do with pasta, I've just about done with Spaghetti Squash.

Guest domusalessandra

Hi guys, what's actually Spaghetti Squash?

Just curiosity: I'm Italian, still living in Italy. I like to make fresh homemade spaghetti using atraditional extruder ("torchio"), which is a press. You mix the flour mix with egg and e.v. olive oil, you work the dough out for 5 min then you extrude it... and that's ready to boil!!!

B)

Love

spagetti squash is from squash, and you get all the little "håir like" pieces out of the center, and can serve them. At least I think that is what it is.

My mom made it once and it was really good!

Hi guys, what's actually Spaghetti Squash?

Just curiosity: I'm Italian, still living in Italy. I like to make fresh homemade spaghetti using atraditional extruder ("torchio"), which is a press. You mix the flour mix with egg and e.v. olive oil, you work the dough out for 5 min then you extrude it... and that's ready to boil!!!

B)

Love

Hi--Here is some spaghetti squash info--

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/features/feat...pagsquash.html#

Hi--Here is some spaghetti squash info--

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/features/feat...pagsquash.html#

I could never boil my spagetti squashes because so far the ones available at the store have been HUGE, I wouldn't get it in a pot!

I have a question, is spagetti squash considered more of a starchy vegetable like a potato or turnip and etc., or is it more like zuchinni and summer squash as far as carbohydrate content??

I tried spaghetti squash for the first time last night. I made a sauce with ground elk, spinach and tomato paste. It's so good. I can't eat rice or corn so I happy I found a substitute for pasta.

I could never boil my spagetti squashes because so far the ones available at the store have been HUGE, I wouldn't get it in a pot!

You can cut it in half or quarters with a cleaver first, and then it will fit into a much shorter pan.

You can cut it in half or quarters with a cleaver first, and then it will fit into a much shorter pan.

Ok, good to know. Would it get all watery or something with the insides exposed and submerged by the boiling water? Maybe I am not invisioning this right, I assumed when they say 'boil' you boil the whole thing, uncut in a huge pot submerged in water.

Ok, good to know. Would it get all watery or something with the insides exposed and submerged by the boiling water? Maybe I am not invisioning this right, I assumed when they say 'boil' you boil the whole thing, uncut in a huge pot submerged in water.

Well, don't submerge it, just put enough water in the pot to steam it. It takes about 15-25 minutes, and you'll want to check once or twice to make sure there's enough water (about an inch) so it doesn't go dry at the bottom. And it won't get soggy, but it's nice to let it drain in a collander. (I generally use a sauteuse pan for this, which is about 3" tall, which is why I use this method. ;-) )

Well, don't submerge it, just put enough water in the pot to steam it. It takes about 15-25 minutes, and you'll want to check once or twice to make sure there's enough water (about an inch) so it doesn't go dry at the bottom. And it won't get soggy, but it's nice to let it drain in a collander. (I generally use a sauteuse pan for this, which is about 3" tall, which is why I use this method. ;-) )

Thanks for clarifying this. So basically you just do it similar to baking it in the oven, with a little water on the bottom of the pan in order to create a steaming effect, but you're doing it on top of the stove.

Covered, or uncovered, or does it matter?