Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheri A

Spaghetti Squash Anyone?

Wow.. I would have never thought to boil it..

I've got spaghetti squash on my shopping list for next week again. Carleigh is psyched to have "pasta" again!

Thanks for clarifying this. So basically you just do it similar to baking it in the oven, with a little water on the bottom of the pan in order to create a steaming effect, but you're doing it on top of the stove.

Covered, or uncovered, or does it matter?

Covered. Can't really steam uncovered. ;)

I cut my spaghetti squash in half and put in an 8x8 casserole dish, face down in about a 1/2 of water. I cover with plastic wrap and then cook on high for 8 - 10 minutes, turning half way through. Sometimes the squash is too big even cut in half, so I'll stack it crooked like. Half way through the cooking, I'll switch their places and cook the rest of the way. It's very similar to steaming, it's just a lot faster.

I made spaghetti squash tonight and served it w/spaghetti sauce.

My dd and I loved it! It came out like angel hair pasta & was delicious.

Has anyone else discovered this??

I searched spaghetti squash on this site because a friend of mine tweeted this idea for people who don't want the carbs from real spaghetti pasta, so I thought then it must be naturally gluten free if it's a vegetable. I am so excited to make this! :)

Do you make it like this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-make-the-ultimate-homemade-tomato-sauce/

"Cutting" it with a fork?

I've never had it this way but I REALLY want to try it!

Go for it! I haven't tried it wit red suace but I have liked the recipes from that site that I've tried.

It's also good with pesto or cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. and "butter" or coconut oil.

I tried to qoute another poster(unsuccessfully) who mentioned carbs. Spaghetti squash is one of the very low-carb veggies and probably the least impact on blood sugar of the winter squashes, except for regular canned pumpkin, so great for those who are watching their BG.

I would love some advice for choosing one. It's been really hit and miss. I've had 2 really tasty, slightly sweet ones out of maybe 10. The others rather flavorless.

I bake mine whole in the oven. Pierce the skin with a fork, lay it in a pan and bake until tender. I let it cool before cutting and removing the seeds.

I was introduced to spaghetti squash 45 years ago. The nursery guy and my uncle were friends. My uncle was asked to grow these new seeds and give a review of what he thought. The seed package was just white with no writing on it. We loved it.

Easy to grow but needs some space to spread or something to grow up on. I use to grow it up the fence around my garden. Yep, those big squash will just grow a thicker stem so they can hang on the fence.

OK....WOW. I made the recipe today, xtra beef, less a few ingredients +oregano. HOLY COW!!! This was AMAZING. I did the spaghetti squash part too. Only a little bit crunchy, but DANG! This was BY FAR the best spaghetti I've ever had. Good thing I have breakfast for the week coming!

It surely is great stuff. I love to roast mine with:

- browned butter and sage leaves, sprinkled with asiago

- lamb bolognese

- maple syrup, butter and chipotle chile

- compound butters such as Thai chile, fresh herbs, spicy honey butter

- mushroom duxelles