• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

heathen

How To Gain Weight?

Rate this topic

i was diagnosed with celiac disease in February and have been sticking to the diet as best i can (although i'm sure i'm still dealing with contamination). i'm 24, almost 6 ft. tall, and i'm fighting to maintain 125 lbs. at my worst, i was 110 and falling. i'm drinking 1-2 weight-gainer ensures a day, eating (and hungry) almost constantly, taking a good multivitamin and calcium with vitamin D, but i can't seem to gain any weight even though all of my other celiac symptoms are under control. the doctor wants me to take a pill they give to chemo patients, but i would rather not add 1 more med to the regiment. any suggestions?

You know how people on a diet to lose weight always try to choose the lowest calorie food when eating? I just reversed that. I ate healthy, but would add in some high-calorie items that were not necessarily good for me as snacks. I also did not hesitate to eat twice as much as anyone else at the table!! I remember one time being out with my husband and 6 other men from around the country who sell the same product he does. I ordered a New York Strip, salad, mashed potatoes, and a veggie. They all ordered the petit filet. When my huge steak came, one of the guys said, "Yea, right, I'd like to see you eat all of that!" Another guy at the table, who's eaten with me before said, "You've never seen her eat, last time I was out with her, she ate a steak bigger than her Mini-Cooper!" I ordered dessert (they called the guy who made their ice cream at home to find out the ingredients!!) after eating all my dinner!

So, don't worry what anyone thinks ... eat, eat, eat! Just yesterday I took my daughter out to PF Changs, ate twice as much as her, then munched on gluten-free pretzels on the way home! I had been glutened on Saturday and am eating a little more than normal. I'm finding that after 4 months gluten-free, I'm not eating quite as much as I used to, but still more than you would think someone my size would eat.

Also, find out where you're still getting contaminated. For me, it was a barley product in my vitamins that was the ongoing problem. The next thing I discovered was wheat in my shampoo.

Carla

i was diagnosed with celiac disease in February and have been sticking to the diet as best i can (although i'm sure i'm still dealing with contamination). i'm 24, almost 6 ft. tall, and i'm fighting to maintain 125 lbs. at my worst, i was 110 and falling. i'm drinking 1-2 weight-gainer ensures a day, eating (and hungry) almost constantly, taking a good multivitamin and calcium with vitamin D, but i can't seem to gain any weight even though all of my other celiac symptoms are under control. the doctor wants me to take a pill they give to chemo patients, but i would rather not add 1 more med to the regiment. any suggestions?

Wow do you sound like me except that I am slightly older. I'm 5'10" (and a half) and 120 pounds. My weight has not changed since going gluten-free, it just sits at 120. Prior to being gluten-free I would go up and down from like 110 to 130. I take the same vitamins as you do. I eat constantly. If I could tolerate dairy I'm sure that I would gain about five pounds. But I've accepted that this is my weight and only exercise may alter it slightly in the future. Also, I like to eat fairly healthy, except for Kinnikinnick products.

Good luck with your weight gain. Sorry that I don't have any ideas.

Okay I'm 5'8" to 5'9" and arond 90-95 pounds, and 15, so guess what i am accused of anorexia! but then when they see me eat, they think i am bulimic, cause i eat so much.

I went to brunch with my grandparents and my uncle, and first ate like 10 pieces of bacon, and 5 sausages, with cheese and fruit, and shrimp. Then when i went to get my omlette, my uncle challenged me that i couldn't eat the whole omlette. I proved him wrong by eating 2 omlettes and more bacon (all gluten-free of course) and then going to my soccer game and scoring the winning goal in the last 30 seconds.

I eat so much, maybe try eating a lot of ice ceram, this summer after jaw surgery, i had like 2 tubs a day so i could get back up to at least over like 80 pounds.