• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

wonkabar

Limiting Dairy, Too.

Rate this topic

My son is doing very well on the gluten-free diet. :P We're very dilligent, and the GI issues have resolved themselves. (I explained all of this stuff on my first posting this morning!) He is not allergic to milk nor does he have any GI reaction to it. Could dairy have an affect on him although he's not showing any signs of a problem with it? Has anyone just limited dairy versus completely eliminating it or going on a casien-free diet as well? Has anyone seen additional changes in their little one by limiting dairy inconjunction with being gluten-free?

Thanks! Kristy :)

if he's not showing symptoms, i don't think that limiting dairy would do anything, dairy is just a symptom based elimintion, not really will do much damage. You could try it if you want, but i don't see a point.

I wouldn't think you would need to. My daughter would get D every time she had dairy until after she was 4 months gluten-free. IT should be just fine!

I posted this below too......but dairy does affect my daughter's moods. She initially had tummy issues with the dairy as well, but those have cleared up. But when she was eating large amounts of milk products, her moods seemed to be getting worse. It was similar to a glutening, but she was in general more mean and withdrawn. I knew she wasn't getting any gluten at the time, the dairy increase was the only change.

The good news is that you can try casein free, and you should see a change pretty quickly if it's going to help at all. Good luck!

I'm casein free, but the symptoms are not terribly obvious and it takes a couple days for me to tell there's a problem. I *could*, I suppose, get away with stuff now and again, but clearly my body doesn't like it, or I wouldn't see a change (for the worse) after a few days, so why subject my body to it, ya know? Like many intolerances or food issues, it's trial by experiment - give it a try, see how it goes! (But be patient and give it time - two weeks off, AT LEAST!)